Thread: NYS practical

LeighNY

Question NYS practical

I am wondering if anyone on here has taken the NYS practical exam somewhat recently? I have a few questions but am also looking for any advice I can get. My sponsor, the doctor on staff, has had very little time or maybe ambition to show me some crucial aspects of the occupation I am going to have to demonstrate. In my everyday work I am very efficient but am concerned about demonstrating tasks that I am not familiar with and are not required of me on a daily basis. I would really like to know what to expect when I arrive for the test.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another example of the value of "apprenticeship". How do you know you are efficient if you are not aware of what is required in the "occupation"?

This is not meant as a personal attack on you, but the poor system that has obviously not prepared you. The person who was to be your trainer should not be allowed to do this to anyone else. I hope someone replies from NYS that can assist you. Good luck in the practical.

LeighNY
    I'm fairly certain that I am efficient because I do 85% of the eyeglass orders at work and the seasoned opticians there ask for my help and advice often. The apprenticeship has been a tough road, my first sponsor up and quit work one day and since then I have been teaching myself the profession. I only know there are a few pieces of the puzzle missing from speaking with other opticians who have mentioned, but have not elaborated on, certain tasks they were asked to perform. Definitely not how I envisioned the whole process. However, don't misunderstand, I am not that far off the mark as my post may have possibly suggested. I have some questions about using the lens clock, which I never use at work, using a distometer versus a pupilometer to find the vertex distance which I also never do at work, and some other random questions.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by LeighNY View Post
    I'm fairly certain that I am efficient because I do 85% of the eyeglass orders at work and the seasoned opticians there ask for my help and advice often. The apprenticeship has been a tough road, my first sponsor up and quit work one day and since then I have been teaching myself the profession. I only know there are a few pieces of the puzzle missing from speaking with other opticians who have mentioned, but have not elaborated on, certain tasks they were asked to perform. Definitely not how I envisioned the whole process. However, don't misunderstand, I am not that far off the mark as my post may have possibly suggested. I have some questions about using the lens clock, which I never use at work, using a distometer versus a pupilometer to find the vertex distance which I also never do at work, and some other random questions.
    Hi Leigh!
    I was also a N.Y. apprentice once... but I had a preceptor(O.D.) who really TAUGHT me! I already had a B.F.A. in another field, and was accustomed to studying hard. That helped. But my preceptor was the key. That was 40+ years ago, and now most apprentice sponsors are interested in getting the trainee "wallpaper" in the office, but not doing much of the teaching.

When you register for the practical, you will receive a letter that gives you information regarding the skill sets that will be tested, and the equipment you should bring to the exam. Regarding the distometer for vertex distance... you may also use a pupilometer. The issue is the correct VD, not the method used.Practice using the lens clock with someone experienced (perhaps not your preceptor). A lens clock is easy to use, and you should have learned about the instrument in the Career Progression Program from the NAO (required for apprentices in NY). Get your hands on one and practice with it! Obviously, lens neutralization is important, as well as fitting and adjusting, and fit problem solving. Have you passed the ABO yet?
    Please PM me with any other questions.

Good luck!
    SharonB
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

LeighNY
    Sharon, I sometimes focus on technicalities that probably do not matter much, such as using a pupilmoter vs dist. Now that you mention it, obviously its the outcome that matters most. My first attempt at asking my manager to buy a distometer for the office failed but I guess I am going to have to be more determined. I'd like to avoid buying one of my own. I even had to print out the most recent progressive lens identifier book from online to be sure I am up-to-date with the Essilor symbols. The opticians I work with passed the practical 30 years ago which is hard for me to gauge what to expect, and a manager who is non-licensed. Yes, I passed the CPP and the ABO with no problems. If it's not a hassle I may have to take you up on the offer to PM you in the future with some lingering questions I may have. Thanks.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I took the practical in 2010. Make sure your lensometer is plugged in and on, first of all. After that it's a basic SV lensometry read, one multifocal, and two pseudo-adjustments infront of two evaluators. That should be the least stressful part. They also have a 'testing' area where you have to identify resins, recommend lens designs based on a script, and do a few other hands-on tasks. If you passed the ABO written, and are working as an optician on a daily basis, the practical should be the least of your worries. Remember to bring your pencil, and have it sharpened before you get there. There is not a pencil sharpener at the hotel. Relax, it's not bad if you honestly care about what you do, which obviously you do being here on Optiboard.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobie View Post
    I took the practical in 2010. Make sure your lensometer is plugged in and on, first of all. After that it's a basic SV lensometry read, one multifocal, and two pseudo-adjustments infront of two evaluators. That should be the least stressful part. They also have a 'testing' area where you have to identify resins, recommend lens designs based on a script, and do a few other hands-on tasks. If you passed the ABO written, and are working as an optician on a daily basis, the practical should be the least of your worries. Remember to bring your pencil, and have it sharpened before you get there. There is not a pencil sharpener at the hotel. Relax, it's not bad if you honestly care about what you do, which obviously you do being here on Optiboard.
    Soobie - I don't know what practical you completed, but it was not the one used in NY.There is no "S.V." lensometry, nor are the candidates asked to identify lens materials from a group of diverse resins. Did you take the National Practical which is used in some states? I am puzzled
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Thread Information