Thread: Making the most of your Optos

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Making the most of your Optos

Hi!
    I was doing a little research on Optos technology and have stumbled upon this forum! Our office recently aquired an Optos, and things have been going really well for the past few months, but I can't help but feel that there is more that can be done with this amazing piece of technology. Which brings me to my question...do any of you have any tips or advice on how I can make the most of my Optos? I've been experimenting with some eye steering (having the patient look up/down and whatnot) and although challenging at times, it really does seem to help us get a better look at the retina. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to get the best image I can, so any personal experiences would be great to hear! Look forward to hearing from you!
    Melissa <3

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Howdy, Melissa--welcome!

Had a year and a half working with the Optos--it was still more art than science by the time I moved on.

I found it much easier to hold the patient's head (at the chin & the side and back of the crown) myself rather than talk them through very minute changes in angles and distance. (Hand gel is your friend--before and after.) Hopefully the green dot of light is clear enough for the patient to reference--when you mention eye-steering, are you having the patient look elsewhere? Must be very minutely to preserve any hope of a camera angle.

Remember if you have a patient who just can't find the right posture, try adjusting the camera height before giving up.

Hope you get some more better advise. Good luck!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we were dilating and doing the optos daytona... I was really impressed with it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Good suggestions Hayde! I too have found that talking the patient through what I'm doing is counter-productive (as soon as you tell them the light should be green before we take the image, they become fixated on being perfectly aligned which makes them harder to maneuver). And yes, with eye steering, I've found that if the patient looks even slightly above or below, or to either side of the target, you will see more of the retinal surface. And @Slim - are you guys dilating every patient before you optomap? Or just the ones with smaller pupils?

Thread Information