Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trivex

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I’ve decided to stay out of this conversation, as I’ve seen many “personal preference” responses. This is my final addition to this thread.

Just know this. TVX can become less impact resistant after application of AR. Poly remains as impact resistant after AR.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    I’ve decided to stay out of this conversation, as I’ve seen many “personal preference” responses. This is my final addition to this thread.

Just know this. TVX can become less impact resistant after application of AR. Poly remains as impact resistant after AR.
    With respect cause I love read you
    I do not Agree: all ar coated materials (except glass I think) are less impact resistant also poly.

But poly ar respect safe RX impact standard trivex ar not safe for High risk impact.

Anyway I love Jhons video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-hoibxBOY

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would utilize trivex more often if it wasn't perpetually back ordered or delayed. Recently decided to roll the dice on a drilled rimless order and order trivex and it still took about 6 weeks. In the past few months, I have had two patients who noticed the lower ABBE value in poly.

Side question: if a doctor specifies "polycarbonate" on the prescription, is it acceptable to use Trivex in lieu of polycarbonate?
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    I would utilize trivex more often if it wasn't perpetually back ordered or delayed. Recently decided to roll the dice on a drilled rimless order and order trivex and it still took about 6 weeks. In the past few months, I have had two patients who noticed the lower ABBE value in poly.

Side question: if a doctor specifies "polycarbonate" on the prescription, is it acceptable to use Trivex in lieu of polycarbonate?
    Trivex in round segs is not even possible at any of the labs I work with, which stinks because I put several patients in it 2 years ago.

I take anything a doctor says after the Rx as a recommendation not as part of the Rx. If you talk to the person you are working with and can understand why the doctor put that in there you can go from there. Most of the time I have seen it is there is only one eye that works and the doctor wants to protect it. Trivex and poly have similar impact resistance so I don't see a problem with switching them as long as you have that conversation with them.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    I would without a second thought.

But then again I'd use cr39 on a +4.00 and up. (Not minus powers)

I'd be sure your MD would back you up first however, lest you find yourself under a bus from some one in a million issue.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I would without a second thought.

But then again I'd use cr39 on a +4.00 and up. (Not minus powers)

I'd be sure your MD would back you up first however, lest you find yourself under a bus from some one in a million issue.

+1

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    Trivex in round segs is not even possible at any of the labs I work with, which stinks because I put several patients in it 2 years ago.

I take anything a doctor says after the Rx as a recommendation not as part of the Rx. If you talk to the person you are working with and can understand why the doctor put that in there you can go from there. Most of the time I have seen it is there is only one eye that works and the doctor wants to protect it. Trivex and poly have similar impact resistance so I don't see a problem with switching them as long as you have that conversation with them.
    I ordered and received some Trivex round segs just recently from my favorite lab, Cherry Optical of Green Bay, WI.

Thread Information