Thread: Small Batch AR Coating Machine .....................................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Small Batch AR Coating Machine .....................................

Quote Originally Posted by Vision Ease, Press Release

Small Batch, Big Impact: MyCoat Creates Anti-Reflective and Mirror Coating Capabilities for Labs

With MyCoat, retail and optical labs can control quality and improve profit potential
    one pair of lenses at a time

RAMSEY, MINN. (Oct. 21, 2014)
    Less than 30 percent of glasses sold nationally in 2013 were anti-reflective, presenting a huge opportunity for retail and optical labs to increase sales and profits.

By quickly producing small batches of coated lenses, the MyCoat machine from Vision-Ease Lens expands in-house capabilities and profit potential for these businesses.

MyCoat is a vacuum sputter coater that dispenses anti-reflective and mirror coatings within its compact dimensions, 28 inches wide by 32 inches deep by 68 inches high. The machine can coat six lenses at a time, with a cycle time of 15 minutes. In one hour, up to six pairs of lenses can be fully coated front and back.

“MyCoat is a flexible and advanced solution that’s ideal for in-store retail labs and small- to mid-size optical labs,” said Barry Resnik, director of marketing at Vision-Ease Lens. “By fulfilling anti-reflective and mirror coating orders in-house, labs can improve turnaround time on orders and control product quality throughout the coating process.”

MyCoat’s anti-reflective and mirror coating formulas are compatible with all Vision-Ease Lens products, as well as those from alternate suppliers. Anti-reflective coatings include a standard option and Vision-Ease Lens’ premium five-layer, superhydrophobic Vivid AR. Mirror coatings offered include silver, gold, blue or ruby, in full or flash finishes. Formulas are pre-installed on each machine for easy operation.

Vision-Ease Lens offers extensive training and support with its MyCoat machine for worry-free operation. For more information, visit www.mycoatvel.com.

What hit me most when reading this Press release by the former OptiBoard sponsor "Vision Ease" was the first sentence.

" – Less than 30 percent of glasses sold nationally in 2013 were anti-reflective,"

With all those many post's by OB members claiming that their sales success is at 100% of AR coatings, I nearly started to believe these statements over the last year or two while having seen other statistics..
    However I would think that Vision Ease has based their statement on real and official statistics.

What do you say ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Betcha this is their source.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Does it really matter what the AVG % is???

If most in your area at at 90-100% and you are at 60% or most of your area is at 30% does it change anything you do in your office????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe many OptiBoarders do approach 100%...that kind of success finds its way into conversation more than more modest rates. Premium ARs are fabulous products when you work in an outlet that moves them. The ARs the chains put out are a different story, and have no business being pushed onto the 2/3 of the people who'll tear them up and be unhappy with them anyway.

Still, if this chart resembles reality:

Independent Practices (with three or few er locations) :51.7%

Optical Chains (eg. LensCrafters, Pearle, EyeMasters, regional chains): 28.1%

Mass Merchants / Wholesale Club (eg. WalMart, Target, Costco): 10.4%

Department Stores (eg. Sears, JC Penney, Macy’s): 4.2%

We can be sure that independent practices can't be averaging near 100%.

(I heard a few years ago Europe tops 80% AR...wonder what they do differently?)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I was going to say those are off but after a reread I can see the averages like that.
    But with Europe and tossing in Japan (last I heard they are at 90%+) they include it with out asking. With the a la carte way it easier to cut the AR to save. If you tell them it's in the price the AR% skyrockets.
    For example: Lenscrafters auto includes AR with the HD lenses and any high index.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I should have mentioned those stats are market share of total lens sales.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    lol Just needed to use my brain. It's still to early and I have blood in my caffeine stream. :^)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL I really need to quit posting before I wake up! (Especially if I'm trying to talk to Harry or Robert.)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Proof that mornings are the devil.
    Sadly sometimes it's the only time to post anything.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldt View Post
    But with Europe and tossing in Japan (last I heard they are at 90%+) they include it with out asking. With the a la carte way it easier to cut the AR to save. If you tell them it's in the price the AR% skyrockets.
    This is exactly how you achieve 100% AR orders. Not taking insurance makes it an easy sell, especially when you will only get an SRC warranty from me if you have it. Also, I'll only knock 50 bucks off the lenses if you don't want it. Include it in the pricing is the way to go.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What does the machine cost....how much are the chemicals....how good a coating is it.....how much maintenance/cleaning procedures/training are needed to run it....what is the cost of tech repair services...and then you can calcultae your profit margins and see if it is still a good investment.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I assume this equipment is directed at ecps, perhaps independent shops?

Given the wide availabiltiy of cost-effective stock ready sv lenses in all indices I just wonder how this makes investment sense.

If you are surfacing progressives I suppose that changes the picture, but it just seems like a whole whack of trouble and money to maintain so much capital equipment. Not to mention the guy or gal who is operating it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Great questions everybody. I would encourage a quick visit to the website at www.mycoatvel.com. It goes into the types of AR Coatings, mirror coatings, service overview, install requirements, payment options and more. You'll also find a great video of the machine working and a whitepaper for download.

For more detailed information or to get a customized payback model - please e-mail mycoatsales@vision-ease.com.

Thanks for the space.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldt View Post
    I was going to say those are off but after a reread I can see the averages like that.
    For example: Lenscrafters auto includes AR with the HD lenses and any high index.
    I think you are correct (often included for no extra charge in Europe and Japan). Back when Zeiss Individual sold in the US was only made in Germany, it included Carat Advantage at no extra charge. Not sure if that is the case now for Zeiss labs in the US. I believe that Japanese lenses such as Seiko were the same. Last time I looked, the high-end progressives sold at Costco, Walmart, etc included AR, but not sure if that is still the case.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    I think you are correct (often included for no extra charge in Europe and Japan). Back when Zeiss Individual sold in the US was only made in Germany, it included Carat Advantage at no extra charge. Not sure if that is the case now for Zeiss labs in the US. I believe that Japanese lenses such as Seiko were the same. Last time I looked, the high-end progressives sold at Costco, Walmart, etc included AR, but not sure if that is still the case.
    Costco's only PAL can only be ordered with AR

Same goes for all polarized lenses, back side only of course

I might have to call in a few favors, but I'm pretty sure overall, Costco's AR percentage is about 80%

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked at LC in Natick when they started a program called the AR hub and spoke program. They purchased a Satis? Stratum? SatisLOH? I don't remember, it was a 4 lens small batch AR coat machine that used nitrogen, oxygen and argon in the vacuum chamber. There was a little window on the side you could see light up when it ran current through the chamber. The lenses were front side AR coated and we surfaced and then AR coated the back. It didn't have the mirror capability the new ones have. I can't speak to the cost of the unit or the materials. I certainly wasn't privy to that information. It took about 30 minutes to process 4 lenses. It wasn't Crizal quality, that's for sure, but I don't recall anyone coming back and complaining about scratches.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    LC uses the satisloh sp200

it does a high low 4 layer stack on the back side.

process time is 12-15 minutes per side.

LC leases these machines as far as I was told.

Thread Information