Thread: Gradient Tint on a polycarbonate anti-glare lens

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gradient Tint on a polycarbonate anti-glare lens

Why is that some labs cannot do a gradient tint on polycarbonate anti-glare lens? I usually like to recommend a slight tint on lens for seniors, because they are sensitive to the sunlight, and also give them the UV protection.

What do you recommend as an alternative?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optician2601 View Post
    Why is that some labs cannot do a gradient tint on polycarbonate anti-glare lens? I usually like to recommend a slight tint on lens for seniors, because they are sensitive to the sunlight, and also give them the UV protection.

What do you recommend as an alternative?
    Why waste the pt's time and money doing both?

Tint.

OR

A/R.

Never both on top of each other. Apart from extremely variable results, both elements largely cancel each other out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Careful there, hoss! The UV protection in your case is the polycarbonate material itself...not the tint.

Different labs will have different ARs--some are just better and more versatile than others. Since the AR goes on last, it has to be successfully product tested on tinted lenses. When those tests don't give consistent results, an AR manufacturer (and the labs that use it) just won't take the risk.

Regarding seniors' sensitivity to light: I'm not sure you're wrong, but I'd be interested in seeing some documentation to that general effect. (It's easy for some annectdotal evidence with too few examples to make up a statistically valid sample give any of us the impression of a correlation. Perhaps your observation is specifically related to cataract patients or a set of other conditions?)

Patient-by-patient basis as far as which way to break. Indoor seniors with heavier-than-average computer use...sure I'll emphasize AR. Unless the patient or the prescribing doc already mentions tint is a priority, I'll probably still favor recommending an AR over a tint.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    tinting gradient or solid takes heated dyes. A/R do not like heat

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This patient is not a senior. He wanted a tint on his lens, and will be also be wearing the glasses to drive at night. Thats why I recommended both ar and gradient tint. he said he wants the tint as "fashion."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    Careful there, hoss! The UV protection in your case is the polycarbonate material itself...not the tint.

Different labs will have different ARs--some are just better and more versatile than others. Since the AR goes on last, it has to be successfully product tested on tinted lenses. When those tests don't give consistent results, an AR manufacturer (and the labs that use it) just won't take the risk.

Regarding seniors' sensitivity to light: I'm not sure you're wrong, but I'd be interested in seeing some documentation to that general effect. (It's easy for some annectdotal evidence with too few examples to make up a statistically valid sample give any of us the impression of a correlation. Perhaps your observation is specifically related to cataract patients or a set of other conditions?)

Patient-by-patient basis as far as which way to break. Indoor seniors with heavier-than-average computer use...sure I'll emphasize AR. Unless the patient or the prescribing doc already mentions tint is a priority, I'll probably still favor recommending an AR over a tint.
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optician2601 View Post
    This patient is not a senior. He wanted a tint on his lens, and will be also be wearing the glasses to drive at night. Thats why I recommended both ar and gradient tint. he said he wants the tint as "fashion."
    Your job is then to properly educate the patient on why a tint isn't wise in low/no light scenarios, and the benefits of A/R on an ophthalmic surface. In addition, the second pair sales generated by this gentleman's clubbing glasses will benefit both of you. ;)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am willing to do an AR with a tint, for those special few who want them. They can look very cool, and some claim they are very therapeutic (much like some people like xtra active trans.)

Polycarbonate is a terrible choice for this though.. Use a material like Trivex that can be tinted to its core, you will get much much better results. Crizals are a no go when doing this though so team up with a lab that is good at it and has a good house AR.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do 100% ar and would not even think of a tint without ar; if you do not ar over the tint will fade fast here in florida.

By the way, I would not allow my seniors to have any tint at night to cut down on limited light they already get. We explain that an Vantage or Xtractive have a slight soothing effect at night via the blue hue but no tints to help them see worse at night.

We use 2 ar's and one will not allow tints due to the process and the other is perfect for ar over tint.

Why do you selectively choose who gets AR? We have been 100% for 16 years and feel everyone one should see and look at good as possible.

Thread Information