Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Even Silhouette is now on sale at Coastal ............................

  1. #1
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,240

    Redhot Jumper Even Silhouette is now on sale at Coastal ............................

    Even Silhouette is now on sale at Coastal ............................








    See all of it at ===================> http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/silhou...FRJp7Aod2CcAyw
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  2. #2
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,778
    Doesn't matter. Chris is (has been) always right.

    Charge separately for materials. Charge separately for services.

    The future.

    B

  3. #3
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,240

    Redhot Jumper .I was told that never ever those high class frame manufacturers would ever join ....

    At some point in time, a few years ago.............I was told that never ever those high class frame manufacturers would ever join these el cheapo on line outfits.

    I was wrong.............. they did and they have joined the new community of bargain hunters as suppliers through E Kingdom owned on-line retailers.

    So the challenge is now also on regular high end optical retailers who felt kind of safe from the on-line retail crowd, as soon other manufacturers in the same category will and have to follow suite.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  4. #4
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,778
    It's not about cheaper online distributors.

    It's simply about the changing consumer marketplace. Adapt.

    B

  5. #5
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    115
    How would you break down the pricing?

  6. #6
    OptiBoardaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    CT
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    251
    I agree Barry, have to learn to play in a bigger sandbox.

    However purchasing silhouettes online, I can only imagine the returns just with options available for silhouettes

  7. #7
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,778
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen26 View Post
    How would you break down the pricing?
    That's the rub. And that is one of my new presentations for VEE 2015.

    B

  8. #8
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    That's the rub. And that is one of my new presentations for VEE 2015.

    B
    I assume VE east? Please keep us informed. I would be interested.

  9. #9
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,240

    I agree Barry, have to learn to play in a bigger sandbox. ...........................

    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post

    I agree Barry, have to learn to play in a bigger sandbox.

    However purchasing silhouettes online, I can only imagine the returns just with options available for silhouettes




    Your bigger sandbox should be divided in the for me (EyeManDan)............................and for them (your production labs) area and learn to play only on your side.

    What is the biggest money maker for the optical labs these days ? =========> it is the AR coating business. Besides the high cost of the machinery ...................once you have it, a few cents of metal oxides and SIO2 evaporated on the lens, develops into retail sales way over $ 100.00 at times.

    (Coastal belonging to the E Kingdom is not even charging for AR coatings, they throw them in for free with the quoted basic price.)

    You got to make a plan how counter the attacks and tune back your sales pitches on items that might not be needed besides costing more to everybody.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  10. #10
    Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    St Louis
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    78
    silhouettes are not high end. They are nicer then some of the crap out there but they are not luxury.

  11. #11
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Helena, MT
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    30
    Sure, they get a good deal on a Sihouette frame in which Coastal installs plastic lenses; lenses crack, we get a lens sale (with built in material upgrade), demonstrate service, VOILA! new customer.

  12. #12
    Eyes eastward... Uilleann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,756
    Interesting - most people with even crappy managed care plans will be able to get these frames for less than they're charging there in a B&M shop, along with dramatically better lenses, and vastly superior service. But if they want to pay more for the novelty of the interwebs - more power to them!

  13. #13
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakville
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Doesn't matter. Chris is (has been) always right.

    Charge separately for materials. Charge separately for services.

    The future.

    B
    Hi Barry;

    Have you incorporated these changes in your own dispensary yet and if so how is it being received?

    Regards,
    Golfnorth

  14. #14
    OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Plainfield, Illinois
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    118
    92340 Sv Fit $35
    92341 Bif Fit $50
    92342 Prog Fit $50

    92352 Frame Fit $35

    92370 Frame Repair $25+
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

  15. #15
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Hi Barry;

    Have you incorporated these changes in your own dispensary yet and if so how is it being received?

    Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Yes. Applys mostly to new, POF styles brought in for lenses. And general adjustments

  16. #16
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Yes. Applys mostly to new, POF styles brought in for lenses. And general adjustments
    So you charge for adjustments? Just curious...who charges for adjustments? What do you charge for such a service? I've heard of POF charges...(edging charges)

  17. #17
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakville
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    So you charge for adjustments? Just curious...who charges for adjustments? What do you charge for such a service? I've heard of POF charges...(edging charges)
    I charge for adjustments for anyone who didn't purchase the eyewear from me and do not adjust internet glasses.
    Fee is at least $10. I think Barry might only be charging for non-customers only as well but perhaps he could clarify?

    Regards,
    Golfnorth

  18. #18
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    here
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Your bigger sandbox should be divided in the for me (EyeManDan)............................and for them (your production labs) area and learn to play only on your side.
    There's a lake in Webster Ma. called Lake Chaubunagungamaug. I have no idea how to pronounce it, but it means ill fish on my side, you fish on your side and no one fishes in the middle. Its about Neutral meeting grounds. I don't think that's ever been a business model. Having worked with the Silhouette line for some time it appears they have a select product they are selling through coastal. It's obviously not their whole catalog. It looks like a sample spx frame they are launching at a reduced rate to see how the market takes. Smart move and good for them.

  19. #19
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakville
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    There's a lake in Webster Ma. called Lake Chaubunagungamaug. I have no idea how to pronounce it, but it means ill fish on my side, you fish on your side and no one fishes in the middle. Its about Neutral meeting grounds. I don't think that's ever been a business model. Having worked with the Silhouette line for some time it appears they have a select product they are selling through coastal. It's obviously not their whole catalog. It looks like a sample spx frame they are launching at a reduced rate to see how the market takes. Smart move and good for them.
    According to my Silhouette rep they are disco models except for one model. The discos he can sell me at a price to be very competitive with Coastal's price should I want to go there.

    Regards,
    Golfnorth

  20. #20
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,778
    The fee to adjust glasses is $20. For "new walk ins" I tell them that I am waiving it as it is their first time in the store

  21. #21
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,778
    Silhouette maintains parts for up to 3 years after initial retirement

  22. #22
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,240

    Redhot Jumper a rep is always on the side of his/her customers. .................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

    According to my Silhouette rep they are disco models except for one model. The discos he can sell me at a price to be very competitive with Coastal's price should I want to go there.

    Having employed 10 frame sales reps for 20 years in Canada I can certify that a rep is always on the side of his/her customers.

    They live on commissions on their sales. No sales, No commission. So they will tell you what you like to hear, while the largest single customer, a big on-line business becomes a house account where no commissions have to be paid.

    The optical store that buy's frames one by one and wants a long lasting warranty overpays the value of the frame already to start with.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  23. #23
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakville
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Having employed 10 frame sales reps for 20 years in Canada I can certify that a rep is always on the side of his/her customers.

    They live on commissions on their sales. No sales, No commission. So they will tell you what you like to hear, while the largest single customer, a big on-line business becomes a house account where no commissions have to be paid.

    The optical store that buy's frames one by one and wants a long lasting warranty overpays the value of the frame already to start with.
    I'm not sure I understand your post Chris. Are you saying that my rep told me a lie and the frames in question are not disco and that I cannot buy them at the price he quoted me?

    Regards,
    Golfnorth

  24. #24
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In Flux
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your post Chris. Are you saying that my rep told me a lie and the frames in question are not disco and that I cannot buy them at the price he quoted me?

    Regards,
    Golfnorth
    You can likely buy them for even less.

  25. #25
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakville
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    You can likely buy them for even less.
    Actually you can't!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Silhouette Eyeglass Frames for Sale
    By Discount-Eyewear in forum Optical Marketplace
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 02:31 PM
  2. Silhouette Style Rimless Eyeglasses 100 pcs For Sale
    By xixinewer in forum Optical Marketplace
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 11:50 PM
  3. Silhouette Style Rimless Eyeglasses 100 pcs For Sale
    By xixinewer in forum Optical Marketplace
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 02:37 AM
  4. New Lighted Silhouette Tower for Sale
    By kdavenport in forum Optical Marketplace
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 09:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
Younger Optics and Vision Equipment