Thread: Need Help with Georgia Licensing!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Need Help with Georgia Licensing!!!

I am hoping you all can help me out. I'm getting frustrated with this process! I'm currently licensed in NY since 2003 and NC since 2013. I am going to be moving to GA soon. I need to get my application filled out for them. When I call the board office though, its not very helpful. I need to know if I should apply based on experience? Or education? Or can I apply based only on my current ABO/NCLE certifications? I went to school in NY but it was not an accredited program. I have had many years of experience though as a license. My NY license is on hiatus currently, do you think I need to activate it before applying for GA? I know they need each state board to verify my standing. Is there any reciprocity at all for GA? Also, has anyone taken the GA practical? How is the test in your opinion? Any help with this would be so greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i would defiantly have an active license prior to applying, and i would use both experience and education on the application. Good luck
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What are the requirements for a dispensing opticians license?
    Submit a completed application, non-refundable fee, copy of high school diploma, transcript or GED certificate, and a photo taken within one year. Complete applications with all attachments and documents will be scheduled for examinations.

If applying on the basis of education, the applicant must have satisfactorily completed a course of study in a recognized school of ophthalmic dispensing approved by the Board. An official College transcript, with graduation date, and copy of diploma must accompany application showing completion of program.

If applying on the basis of experience, submit the Affidavit of Experience and employment. If you worked under the supervision of an out-of-state Optician, Optometrist, or Medical Doctor, also submit a copy of their current license. (Must have minimum of two years and 3,000 hoursexperience)

If applying on the basis of education and experience, submit all documents listed above. All applicants are required to pass the American Board of Opticianry Examination (ABO), the National Contact Lens Examination (NCLE), and the Georgia Practical Examination. Submit CURRENT ABO & NCLE certificates or if applicable request scores be certified from the national board to our office.

http://sos.ga.gov/index.php/licensing/plb/20/faq

Welcome South Brother!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It looks like you'll be trying to apply based on experience. You will have to document hours worked as the FAQs state. There isn't any reciprocity. The practical involves reading all the parameters of a tray of glasses, one SV, one lined Bi focal, one PAL and one aphakic.
    ETA: If you are currently licensed in NC, I wouldn't bother with reactivating the NY one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As the current Chair of the Georgia State Board of Dispensing Opticians, I may have some answers for you.

If you have a current license in North Carolina, requirements for apprenticeship will be waived. Simply state that your NY license is not current, to ensure that nothing is withheld. You will need to produce a copy of your license and the update. You will need to produce a current ABO and a current NCLE certificate. The practical exam consists of neutralizing 4 pair of glasses. SV, multifocal, PAL, and a cataract. Should be a piece of cake for you.

Opty4062, Georgia only recognizes apprenticeship under a Georgia license and only after registering with the state of Georgia. While we may accept out of state hours, it would only be accepted IF the license were also licensed in Georgia, and the apprentice were registered in Georgia. Clock hours don't start until a completed application is received and fees paid.

hope this helps.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was hoping to see you chime in on this Diane! Thanks for clarifying. Jrain couldn't ask for better guidance than yours while transitioning to Ga. :)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Diane,
    I have a quick question as I've gotten a few different answers on this. I've been working in optics for 7 years now. Do I need to sign up as an apprentice still, or can I use my work towards that with signed letters from the Doctors and Licensed Opticians who have trained me?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldt View Post
    Diane,
    I have a quick question as I've gotten a few different answers on this. I've been working in optics for 7 years now. Do I need to sign up as an apprentice still, or can I use my work towards that with signed letters from the Doctors and Licensed Opticians who have trained me?
    Unfortunately, the statute (law) that was passed in 2008 makes it mandatory to register as an apprentice, unless you have graduated from an opticianry program that is recognized by the board (COA accredited), or have completed the OCPP from the National Academy of Opticianry.

Diane

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    OK, after I register it starts to count the hours and does not go back to see what I have done I take it?
    Also thank you so much for responding, like I said I've gotten way to many different answers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldt View Post
    OK, after I register it starts to count the hours and does not go back to see what I have done I take it?
    Also thank you so much for responding, like I said I've gotten way to many different answers.
    You've got it. Clock hours start when the board receives your completed application with your required fee.

Diane

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Got it, thank you for your time. :^)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's what I was thinking too. I figured if I already have one active, it should suffice. It would just cost a lot more money and give me more hoops to jump through unnecessarily to re-activate the other. I assume you've taken the GA practical? How is it? Very intense? Any details you can give me would be greatly appreciated! I need to prepare as much as possible. I wish I didn't have to do it, because my job at Costco won't let me transfer until I'm already licensed in that state. Ugh..it's all very dramatic. LOL. Thanks in advance for your help!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    As the current Chair of the Georgia State Board of Dispensing Opticians, I may have some answers for you.

If you have a current license in North Carolina, requirements for apprenticeship will be waived. Simply state that your NY license is not current, to ensure that nothing is withheld. You will need to produce a copy of your license and the update. You will need to produce a current ABO and a current NCLE certificate. The practical exam consists of neutralizing 4 pair of glasses. SV, multifocal, PAL, and a cataract. Should be a piece of cake for you.

Opty4062, Georgia only recognizes apprenticeship under a Georgia license and only after registering with the state of Georgia. While we may accept out of state hours, it would only be accepted IF the license were also licensed in Georgia, and the apprentice were registered in Georgia. Clock hours don't start until a completed application is received and fees paid.

hope this helps.

Diane
    Thank you for the response! I am so relieved to get an answer to my questions. I've been stressing it! So I can just send in the copies of all licenses (even the inactive NY one) and ABO/NCLE's? Does that mean I don't have to send the notarized forms with people saying I've worked under them for the experience portion? Just want to be sure. Also, does that mean I don't have to send off the certification of my license form to NY? I can just send one to NC? I don't want to send incomplete information if it's needed. Also, when is the next practical held? The forms online are a year old, and have last years test dates. I really appreciate any information and guidance you can give me, can't even tell how much it helps! Thank you!
    Last edited by Jrain22; 10-09-2014 at 08:23 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a certified optican with my ABO &NCLE in Minnesota and moving to Georgia that is a license state what is my next step. I have tried to ask Georgia state board and they could not help me. More school? Or my 3 years experience in the field work toward hours needed for license?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper ..............looks like you could get an answer at the following link in Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by yvang93 View Post
    \

I am a certified optican with my ABO &NCLE in Minnesota and moving to Georgia that is a license state what is my next step. I have tried to ask Georgia state board and they could not help me. More school? Or my 3 years experience in the field work toward hours needed for license?
    ...................looks like you could get an answer at the following link in Georgia:

http://sos.ga.gov/index.php/licensing/plb/20/faq

Thread Information