Thread: New here/ Lurker!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New here/ Lurker!

Hello! My name is Joseph and I just figured I'd introduce myself.

I am 24 years old and have been working in an optometrist's office now for about 6 months. I came into this profession completely green because I was lucky enough to be extended a job offer from a very generous optometrist citing my 'people skills.' It has been a pretty tough, stressful grind up until now (still is a bit but I am very much so enjoying the challenge) but I have been blessed with wonderful resources.

Dispensing has been a challenge as I have been mostly taught by the good ole google machine but so far so good. The few screw ups I've had have been towards the most understanding people (which are the last ones I want to let down =/) but I've definitely learned from those mistakes. I am working towards certification by studying every night(Maybe in two months I'll have it!!) because I believe this would be the ideal job for me as I make my way through school.

I'm not really good at these kind of messages so... I just want to say thank you for this board! I've been here since almost day one for many of my questions (<3 search feature). You guys/gals are very knowledgeable and have been the reason I haven't had as many screw up/ knew the correct information to give patients. You guys are great and I hope to one day be answering questions myself.

Thanks,
    -Joseph

Edit: I also don't really like calling myself a dispensing optician since I am not certified and very much so still green. Just didn't know what to put =s.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yaddah yaddah woop-t-doo.

Now get back to work!!!

Welcome aboard!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hah! Yes sir!

Thank you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lurker no more! Welcome!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good on you for educating yourself. It will pay off, I promise.

Word of advice: Get used to the personalities here and know who to take with a grain of salt. Some folks don't know how not to start a brawl. Don't ever take any of this mess personally.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank y'all!

Will definitely keep that in mind. :P

edit: Studying will definitely continue! Boss actually just bought me a couple large books. =))

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'm just happy to see someone else who says (and writes) "y'all"
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome!

i don't know what lab you are using but they can be very valuable. I know at one office I fill in sometimes, the new optician did a serveral day optical training for beginners at a local Hoya lab.

Another thing to do is subcribe to the various optical magazines. They are free. And the 2020 online magazine has lots of continuing education on line.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard Joseph!

I am glad that you joined! Optiboard is a fantastic group of very smart, talented, generous, and eager to help professionals!

NCspecs had a great post about some of the personalities on here! There are some real DOOZIES! There is a lot of chest thumping, drunken loud mouthed know-it-alls, urinating contests, ego driven jerk posting, and snark fests! I've been guilty of all of it! But, underneath most of the shenanigans, are a bunch of people who really want to help and are doing the best that they/we can! Do not take anything personal!

I am glad to see that you are trying to educate yourself. We are here to help, so feel free to ask away!

Here is a thread with many resources to help with your education and journey!

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...study-material
    Last edited by Fezz; 09-19-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephFranzese View Post
    Thank y'all!

Isn't it "all y'all??

Welcome to the community! There's a lot of knowledge here, some wisdom and some good o'l scrap-fests. I hope you enjoy all of it.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @Wfruit Yeah... I do not think I could go an hour with out it poppin' out.

@Happylady - Our labs we're currently using are all out of state. But I have been contacting our lens reps to see if they'll have any good ideas. I also love 20/20!

@Fezz- Thank you! Will definitely bookmark the thread. Recognizing a few of the provided links already, woot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss View Post

Isn't it "all y'all??

Welcome to the community! There's a lot of knowledge here, some wisdom and some good o'l scrap-fests. I hope you enjoy all of it.
    Hah! You are correct. Never been the best with grammar but hey... I'm from Texas(<3).

Thread Information