Thread: Best Golf Lens?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best Golf Lens?

I had a patient who's an avid golfer ask me about a golfing transition. I can't remember the name of it right now. However, I realized I have nearly no knowledge about any golfing lenses. I did some research and there's quite a few different types. Any of you come across any or can shed some light on it?

Thanks.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Here's a link to an article by Barry Santini of this board. It's by far my favourite and ends in one page. :)

http://www.2020mag.com/l-and-t/27492/

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Here's a link to an article by Barry Santini of this board. It's by far my favourite and ends in one page. :)

thanks for the article.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post

Thanks for the kind comment!

B

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Neox - green/yellowish transitions. I think they are only available in Callaway frames.
    ~ Erin
    ABOC

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by eryn View Post
    Neox - green/yellowish transitions. I think they are only available in Callaway frames.
    Neox is a proprietary brand only supplied by Walman labs but it is an excellent lens for golfing. A lot of the advertising around it talks about it being restricted to Callaway frames but that is not true. If you are going to order it get the performance mirror coating with it, the only complaint I've ever heard is that people don't like how they can see their eyes through the lens when looking in a mirror and the performance mirror coating was added to combat this.

Here's the link to the transitions page: http://www.transitions.com/en-us/pro...wear/callaway/

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

as Barry says in his article:

DEPTH PERCEPTION
    To visually track a golf ball against a variety of backgrounds or ground contours, maintaining depth of field is essential. Therefore, dark lenses featuring low transmittance levels are not conducive to good depth perception. Most performance lenses designed for golf feature transmittance levels approximately 15 to 20 percent greater than typical general purpose sunglasses.

- See more at: http://www.2020mag.com/l-and-t/27492....nWEHV80R.dpuf
    Just plain simple and logic.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Definity Fairway is a progressive designed for golf.

Occupation
    Well, there's the Shamir Golf....

As for colors, the Neox Green is the only one I know of that says it's specifically for golf. Although I would think, given the colors, that a Drivewear lens might work fairly (horrible pun) well.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the colors compare between the Neox Green, and the Transitions Graphite Green?
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the colors compare between the Neox Green, and the Transitions Graphite Green?
    Transitions green is more like G15 color, sort of a dark emerald when seen indoors and more greyish looking in natural sunlight. I put up a couple of pictures of it here:
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...nsitions+Green

Neox is a Green-Yellow as a standard color and it darkens quite a bit and has a little bit of an amber color as well in full sunlight. If I could get the picture uploader to work I would put one up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find it interesting that everyone thinks that this color or that color is best for golf. Have any of you watched the pros play? They don't wear sunglasses when they hit the ball, they remove their glasses so that they may see in natural light. They wear them on top of their head most of the time, and if it wasn't for a sponsorship deal they wouldn't wear them at all.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS:493189
    I find it interesting that everyone thinks that this color or that color is best for golf. Have any of you watched the pros play? They don't wear sunglasses when they hit the ball, they remove their glasses so that they may see in natural light. They wear them on top of their head most of the time, and if it wasn't for a sponsorship deal they wouldn't wear them at all.
    The only ones that could do that are the ones wearing contacts or that don't need corrective lenses. The real issue would be for the rest of the golfers that need it. I personally have been wearing the Nike outdoor photochromic lenses and love them. I actually prefer the pop they provide. I also play an optic yellow ball and it seems to stand out a little better. The green lenses definitely work well with a white golf ball as a general rule. I don't need correction and I generally remove them while I putt. I have also worn the Maui hc lenses and liked them as well although putting with them took some getting used to. That will probably just be a personal preference as I have fit many people with them at their request. I want to try the neox lenses and the transition autumn gold??

Thread Information