Thread: ordering a coating

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

ordering a coating

Silly question but had my back up the other week

I ordered a varifocal lens the other week by fax (other eye is a balance)

I forgot to tick the box for which coating I wanted as it was a 1.67 lens they supplied a hard coated lens when I queried this they said as a box wasn't ticked it came with a hard coat as standard

The lady in question is the nicest you could meet she is blind in one eye and has very poor vision in the other I had to tell her it will be another week (she was fine)

I personally would have checked as 1.67 99.9% of the time needs an MAR ..(unless it is maybe sunnies the company does a tintable hard coat)

They said I was in the wrong

Was I?

Thanks!

Alan

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Of course you are in the wrong..............................you did not order what you wanted by not checking the box meant for it

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Of course you are in the wrong..............................you did not order what you wanted by not checking the box meant for it
    but I didn't tick uncoated,hardcoated,mar or hydrophobic either?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have heard it said that in Europe AR is required on any High-Index 1.60+ lens because of the high reflectance of the materials. But that's a general statement so I am not sure what the law would be in the UK.

We do not have those requirements in the States so if AR isn't ordered it can't be expected.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    our lab will not let us order a 1.67 without either an AR or TD2. It would have been kind of them to call you and ask, but as you submitted the order it was memorialized as a contract that did not order a specific coating. That kind of sucks man, sorry =/

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I would tell rep about mistake. Get credit.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks all

Occupation
    At the lab I work for, not checking a coating means you want the "default" coating, which for 1.67 would be hard coated.

Now, if you called our lab up and said that you goofed and forgot to check the A/R box, we'd say you have two choices: Either send the lenses back, and we'll coat them (you'd have to pay for the A/R of course), or we'll start a new pair with A/R and you can send the non-A/R back for credit. In neither case would you be stuck paying for two pairs of lenses (unless you wanted to turn the non-A/R pair into sunglasses, in which case we could tint them for you).

Now, what I would recommend, is contacting your lab and saying "Unless I specify otherwise on the order, always put A/R on any 1.67 lens I order." That is something they should be both willing and able to do for you.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just checked my price lists Essilor/Rodenstock/Hoya have no price for hard coated 1.67 so I assume they do not supply without (however Shamir do)
    I wonder why in the UK this I the norm while in the states the opposite is ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Usually any lens with an index of 1.6 or higher is a softer material and requires a hard coat.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by apaul View Post
    Just checked my price lists Essilor/Rodenstock/Hoya have no price for hard coated 1.67 so I assume they do not supply without (however Shamir do)
    I wonder why in the UK this I the norm while in the states the opposite is ?
    Because we give our patients the option to buy lenses that they won't be able to see as well out of as they could?

Because there are people here who actively discourage people from buying A/R?

Because here in the states, A/R is something we have to "sell" to patients?

Because we have yet to accept that putting A/R on higher index lenses means that people will see better through them?

Let me ask this to all of the international optiboarders: How often to you have to convince a patient that they need A/R coating vs. how often do you simply sell them the lenses and they have A/R included and you probably don't even mention it?
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    AS I read the original post this had nothing to do with AR only about Hard Coat?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    AS I read the original post this had nothing to do with AR only about Hard Coat?
    The OP expected their 1.67 to be sent with AR as a default to not checking any option, instead they got hard coat.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    This thread is another example why the consumer is of the opinion that opticians are charging high prices and even try to squeeze the labs to pay for the mistakes made by them. Try to get a credit and so on.

Opticians in the old days had their own cut and grind lab in the back of the store, and also made mistakes and cut the left lens as a right one and then had to replace anything wrong. These days we can all blame the lab for any ordering mistake. So the lab after a while also calculates this percentage of loss into their selling prices, which results again in higher prices. ..........and these are passed on to the consumer somewhere.

Thread Information