Thread: Tints to improve contrast in early nuclear sclerotic cataract

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Tints to improve contrast in early nuclear sclerotic cataract

I have a patient that plays a lot of tennis at a high armature level. He has early nuclear sclerotic cataracts not effecting acuity (20/20 in glasses), and he sees the ball fine outside. Inside he is having problems seeing the spin on the ball. I think it is from the lighting with his cataracts. i will call the place he normally plays to find out what kind of lighting they use, but in the mean time does anyone have any recommendations of tints that might be helpful? I'll dig up my contrast sensitivity chart and see if I can trial frame something.

Thanks.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael I. Davis View Post
    I have a patient that plays a lot of tennis at a high armature level. He has early nuclear sclerotic cataracts not effecting acuity (20/20 in glasses), and he sees the ball fine outside. Inside he is having problems seeing the spin on the ball. I think it is from the lighting with his cataracts. i will call the place he normally plays to find out what kind of lighting they use, but in the mean time does anyone have any recommendations of tints that might be helpful? I'll dig up my contrast sensitivity chart and see if I can trial frame something.

Thanks.
    I'm guessing it's the difference in color temperature of the lighting compared to the sun. Many of the lights found in doors now are bluer, so something that reduces blue might help, I would try the a amber brown light tint to see if you can change the color temperature back to a more natural setting.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    A nuclear sclerotic cataract is amber brown.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it the tint of the light that may be the root cause, or rather the extremely dramatic difference in light intensity playing in full natural sunlight vs anything indoors and artificially lit?

Occupation
    Outdoors light is consistent in all gazes, The human eye's 'refresh rate' varies based on the quality of the light.

http://www.cameratechnica.com/2011/1...-can-perceive/

I would try goggles to reduce instances of staring at the indoor lights directly and indirectly.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    A nuclear sclerotic cataract is amber brown.
    I thought it was yellow but honestly didn't give the color of the cataract a thought. I guess to counter the amber go light blue. I know glare is a big concern I wonder if the sky blue polar is still available in a blank, maybe helpful once the tint color is nailed down.

I don't really think a true solution exists, but making things more comfortable until the cataract is ripe is the goal here. I hope the patients expectations are in line before a lot of time and effort is expended. Good luck Dr.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Cataracts...........plus personal expirience ..............................

Having been through the whole cycle of cataracts personally, having seen the development and solutions very close for 50 years on hundreds of others, I believe that I can make a valid andqualified statement.

During development..........in full sunlight, a blue blocking color is most comfortable lens to wear.

After removal ...................the same still applies.

For insight lighting and bright light as on computer for longer periods i love a brown 25% absorption tint. It helps against strain and fatigue.

.........and one more thing, there is no visible difference if with or without AR coatings.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Back to the cruxite color.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks all

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Color of the lens may not be the most important feature in cataracts. Even as a younger man, I always preferred an amber sunglasses. Gray just seems to me to make everything dreary.

Sometimes...and I really mean sometimes, a moderately dark tint may cause ones pupils to enlarge so the patient can "see around"the cataract. This is often helpful in posterior sub-capsular cataracts. Other times it may cause a monocular Diplopia effect if it is a dense central nuclear sclerotic cataract.

Dont look for one solution for everybody.

one thing that I have found in patients with early cataracts is they often don't do well with polarized lenses. They prefer regular tints.

Thread Information