No announcement yet.

What progressive has a reading area that goes all the way across the lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell him to purchase the lens from that other place if they will offer a money back guarantee if he’s not happy. And then tell him to return to you after he finds out that there is no PAL with near and intermediate all the way across the lens.

It’s impossible to make a progressive power ( or progressive prism for that matter) without having an umbilic corridor.

Comment

Originally posted by optical24/7 View Post
      Tell him to purchase the lens from that other place if they will offer a money back guarantee if he’s not happy. And then tell him to return to you after he finds out that there is no PAL with near and intermediate all the way across the lens.

It’s impossible to make a progressive power ( or progressive prism for that matter) without having an umbilic corridor.
      I politely directed him elsewhere, because I just know that's a refund waiting to happen.
      Krystle

Comment

If he is going to be able to read clearly out of the edge of the lens, can we assume that God has also redesigned his eyes?

Comment

Averted this potential disaster a few years ago when a patient came in with Foster grant multifocal readers.

Available in sphere powers only and the near was virtually edge to edge as a magnification,

Post #5:

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
            Averted this potential disaster a few years ago when a patient came in with Foster grant multifocal readers.

Available in sphere powers only and the near was virtually edge to edge as a magnification,

Post #5:

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...+grant+readers
            So, it's essentially an executive style lineless trifocal? I don't think I've seen anything like that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Lelarep View Post
              So, it's essentially an executive style lineless trifocal? I don't think I've seen anything like that before.

Comment

Ahhh...........2014.........what a wonderful year!

Good thread topic!

I wonder if Nikon's Online Wide NEO, Home and Office NEO, or Relaxsee NEO would qualify for inclusion in the "all across the bottom" category?
                Eyes wide open

Comment

Originally posted by uncut View Post
                  Ahhh...........2014.........what a wonderful year!

Good thread topic!

I wonder if Nikon's Online Wide NEO, Home and Office NEO, or Relaxsee NEO would qualify for inclusion in the "all across the bottom" category?
                  Or even a Shamir Duo?
                  I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

How can they make the useful area across the entire width of the lens without a line?

What I don't understand is why they bother to put any +SPH at the top in the "interactive" zone. Why not make it plano?
                    Last edited by Lelarep; 09-21-2021, 01:01 PM.

Comment

How can they make the useful area across the entire width of the lens without a line? Is it because it is strictly a gradation of +SPH, since a typical progressive usually involves a -SPH transitioning towards positive?

What I don't understand is why they bother to put any +SPH at the top in the "interactive" zone. Why not make it plano?
                      I do not know either but I do know if someone with these comes in to be very wary what you promise your lenses can do.

I think they are really magnifiers and not refracting light.

Comment

How can they make the useful area across the entire width of the lens without a line?
                        They can't. But then these are not general purpose PALs- the distance has about +0.75 D of the add power, reducing by the same amount the degree of progressivity, reducing the unwanted astigmatism proportionately, reducing the blur boundaries, especially for the lower value adds, to the point where the perceived blur is better tolerated.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
                        Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
                          They can't. But then these are not general purpose PALs- the distance has about +0.75 D of the add power, reducing by the same amount the degree of progressivity, reducing the unwanted astigmatism proportionately, reducing the blur boundaries, especially for the lower value adds, to the point where the perceived blur is better tolerated.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
                          Ah, that would explain everything. They don't make the top portion plano to reduce the chance people will notice the oblique astigmatism, and the gradual nature of the + transition generally prevents people from noticing the oblique astigmatism during the transition as the lens adds more plus. That makes sense. I didn't think the lens had some kind of ultra secret sauce, because no matter how I tortured the associated equations, I couldn't make a progressive lens not produce oblique astigmatism.

Comment

oblique astigmatism
                            Although OA is an aberration that causes blur towards the periphery of the lens, in this instance we are talking about 'unwanted surface astigmatism' that without exception, can be found around the umbilical line of all PALs, where the value is directly proportional to the add power.

For example, a two diopter add will generate about two diopters of cylinder/astigmatism.

Robert
                            Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

Working...
                            X