Thread: Handstone?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Handstone?

Hey all. Looking for some advice regarding a handstone. We do not edge on site but trace and transmit MOST of our jobs. It has been suggested that we get a handstone to help with mounting lenses that may be a spec off or to remove high luster from a rimless job if someone regrets that decision. I've not used one before but my lab manager is a pro and said she would come train me. Do you feel this is worthwhile or am I just opening a can of worms? I'm fearful of staff abusing the handstone and destroying bevels/etc. Thoughts? If you think worthwhile the next question becomes...does anyone have one they want to sell cheap???

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes I think it is necessary.

It is an art; practice with some junk lenses first. You need someone who knows how to do it show you and still takes practice to do it right.

New is not that much. $350? I think I got mine from Dynamic Labs.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel that they are most certainly worth it.I recently purchased a new one for here in the office; the old one had gone bad and I was without one for almost a month, while shopping for a new one. I don't know what I did without it! It can make life so much easier and it is very simple to train on. Look for one with a groove so you are not having to create your own bevel.(You don't have to use this, in fact sometimes it is best to not use to groove if you want to adjust the bevel backward or forward.) Mine has a groove and the wheel is also divided into a rough and smooth side depending on how much I need to take off. I got it on the cheap end, around $200. So unless you do a lot of jobs in house where you will be on it constantly I don't see the need for anything too over the top. Hope this helps!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ok. So I was feeling like this was a worthwhile purchase, but now I have no idea what to look for...Can either of you point me to the specific one you purchased? Or to one that has the features you recommend?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.framedisplays.com/nhtehaed.html

This is the one that I purchased. Call the company before if you decide to go with this one and ask for a coupon or promo code. I did and they gave me free shipping. Also has one year manufacture warranty.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got a very inexpensive hand stone off of ebay, from China for... I wanna say less than $200 shipping included. Just a really basic machine, which is all I needed as I don't edge here. But if something comes in a little too big, I can take care of it in a flash.
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Thread Information