Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Try to understand the way Millennial shop for their vision needs

OptiBoard Apprentice LAGUNAEYEDESIGNER's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Try to understand the way Millennial shop for their vision needs

Hi there,

I am an X generations and have been working in optical field for 8 years. Lately, I have had difficulties to understand the way they think and have tried my best to help them but not really success.

Here is two example stories:

This morning, there is one millennial patient came in for his contact lenses exam and our doctor fitted him with Dailies Total 1. He is very pleasant. He likes the lenses and want to order the contact. We offer him the annual supply with very very reasonable price (i can't say the price on here). He took a look then pull out his phone and do some research. He showed me his phone and asked if I can match the price online BUT ORDER ONLY 1 BOX. I took a look and apparently I can't help him. He started got really mad and said that he is local and tries to bring business to us. Why not matching the online price and why make it so difficult to work with us.

Then in the afternoon, there is another millennial patient tried our sunglasses collection. Then again he pulled out his phone and asked us if we can match the online price with Sears where the price is almost our whole sale price. Again, he got really mad after I said sorry that I can't help.

My questions are:

1. We show our gratitude by take a great care of our patients. Then they got really upset when we don't match online price?
    2. Matching the price online is the way that we show our gratitude to them?
    3. Should we match online price? Or should we not?
    4. How can we understand them better so we can help them better?

Please share you inputs.
    Please don't criticize.
    I am learning from all of you.

Thanks so much.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The question you have to answer for yourself to answer your questions.
    Can you afford to price match?
    The answer in our office is that while I also try to keep me shopping local, we simply can't afford to price match internet companies because they are somehow able to sell contacts at (or below) a price lower then we can purchase them.

While I have never had a patient pull out a cell phone in our office, I have had several people bring in print out on both frames and contacts lenses. Remember you can't please everyone, I'd rather have a patient who buys all their contacts online, then feels insulted and angry that I refuse to price match at a price our office can't afford. I know I run the risk of seeing a bad review online about this but for me I consider this a easier risk to accept than the long term financial risk that I assume by setting a precedent of price matching.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dont sell what is available on line!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Your only fool-proof solution. Carry products that make your practice unique and desirable.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGUNAEYEDESIGNER View Post
    Hi there,

I am an X generations and have been working in optical field for 8 years. Lately, I have had difficulties to understand the way they think and have tried my best to help them but not really success.

This morning, there is one millennial patient came in for his contact lenses exam and our doctor fitted him with Dailies Total 1. He is very pleasant. He likes the lenses and want to order the contact. We offer him the annual supply with very very reasonable price (i can't say the price on here). He took a look then pull out his phone and do some research. He showed me his phone and asked if I can match the price online BUT ORDER ONLY 1 BOX. I took a look and apparently I can't help him. He started got really mad and said that he is local and tries to bring business to us. Why not matching the online price and why make it so difficult to work with us.

Then in the afternoon, there is another millennial patient tried our sunglasses collection. Then again he pulled out his phone and asked us if we can match the online price with Sears where the price is almost our whole sale price. Again, he got really mad after I said sorry that I can't help.

My questions are:

1. We show our gratitude by take a great care of our patients. Then they got really upset when we don't match online price?

Please share you inputs.
    Please don't criticize.

Thanks so much.
    I share your frustration. Most of my experience and expertise in communicating with customers has been with an older set (the ones who need multifocals, of course), and it'll be a tragedy when these people are no longer with us. I've enjoyed working a new hitch next to Ophthalmology clinic so I can see more of them while I can. WWII folks are the greatest. Boomers and Xers have defined marketing communications for decades now. The Ys and beyond...talk about another breed altogether!

(I'm sure every generation has moaned about the outrageously bloated sense of entitlement of the next generation. I know I'm officially old, now.)

A lot of these kids have raised themselves to believe a dogma that doesn't have much to do with economics or economic education. It has everything to do with finding pride instead in self-righteous flashes of 'consumer politics.' If you remember that, you can at least get through a conversation professionally--if not improve your capture rate. The most we can hope for is a little education that plants the seed that nothing is truly free. Your service isn't a 'leader loss.'

I've grown accustomed to saying with a gentle, apologetic smile, "I'm afraid we're not that sort of business. Since we have an office and specialized service staff, we're unable to discount materials like we would if we were a warehouse with a phone bank contract." The patient still problably won't buy...but they'll have had a polite, professional, honest encounter with the real world. If they leave liking you, maybe their perspective will evolve to find value in what you do for them and they just might buy from a B&M practice some time before they turn 40.
    Last edited by Hayde; 09-09-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1000000... the only way to compete is not to compete. Give them something unique!
    ~ Erin
    ABOC

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    If they leave liking you, maybe their perspective will evolve to find value in what you do for them and they just might buy from a B&M practice some time before they turn 40.
    Right. Let 'em walk, but be nice about it. Try to attract an older clientele, one that understands the acronym TNSTAAFL.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's the thing that most twenty-somethings have done for years. But now they have the internet

Not understanding the cost of doing business because they have been "taken care of" most of their life. We've always sent contacts to students registered mail because they claim they didn't get them.

Remember all those "Occupy NY, Boston, Chicago" etc a few years back where all the twenty somethings complained about the evils of big business? They were all sipping Starbucks and wearing Nike.

Now with technology that age range is worse. Key is to be in an area without students

Harry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hi there,

My questions are:

Please share you inputs.
    Please don't criticize.

Thanks so much.
    Sounds like the start of a good negotiation. I always tell them that if they could buy the year up front I dont have to lose my shirt on shipping.

When they inevitably say theyll pay for shipping then I add shipping which puts the price higher than our retail price before matching.

Then when they ask why I tell them how I combine thier order with other orders and sometimes can even get free shipping if I play my cards right, then I like to talk about how its tough it is to make a buck with all these big businesses trying to undercut us but we order smart and stay competitive.

Occupation
    When the vendor/rep comes in, Pull out YOUR phone.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    I'm just asking . What kind of a discount can you give on the Dailies Total 1 ? I was told the price was fixed , and couldn't be sold for less .

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ask them to run through with the purchase. Usually online will tack on shipping and tax and other fees. Once they are at the checkout screen I have them look at my price again. Sometimes I am still a few dollars more, but if the patient does not see my expertise to be worth a few dollar bills, I am sad I paid so much for those few letters behind my name.
    Also, Stock the contacts that are popular for your doctor and have an annual pre-bagged and ready to go for the patient. These kids like intimidate results.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    It's the thing that most twenty-somethings have done for years. But now they have the internet

Not understanding the cost of doing business because they have been "taken care of" most of their life. We've always sent contacts to students registered mail because they claim they didn't get them.

Remember all those "Occupy NY, Boston, Chicago" etc a few years back where all the twenty somethings complained about the evils of big business? They were all sipping Starbucks and wearing Nike.

Now with technology that age range is worse. Key is to be in an area without students

Harry
    Nice way to stereotype.

If anyone would like to ask a real, live Millennial any questions, I'd be perfectly happy to field them.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Browman: I'll help out, I'm on the outer edge, but right there with ya.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What's wrong with doing a little research, the "millennial" is being intelligent in using their "resources" (Smartphone) to save themselves a little money. I do the same in retail establishments or I have done extensive Internet research into pricing on a specific item(s) to ensure I'm getting a fair price on something. I'm 37 I don't know if that makes me a millennial, gen X, gen Y or whatever....

Gotta love labels, labels that's a whole can-o-worms right there.....
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    What's wrong with doing a little research, the "millennial" is being intelligent in using their "resources" (Smartphone) to save themselves a little money. I do the same in retail establishments or I have done extensive Internet research into pricing on a specific item(s) to ensure I'm getting a fair price on something. I'm 37 I don't know if that makes me a millennial, gen X, gen Y or whatever....

Gotta love labels, labels that's a whole can-o-worms right there.....
    You'd fall to the younger end of the Gen X cohort (most sociologists put the end of Gen X at 1981 and the beginning of the Millennial cohort at 1982).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    next to impossible. you can get just about anything online.

People like that you won't be able to please. and if they're pulling that "well i want to buy local BUT" crap remind them that you like to pay your people a decent enough wage to live on, where the websites typically do not, so that is why your product costs more. but that is what boosting local economy is all about. I have flat out told people that the websites sell it for less than i can buy it for sometimes. *shrug* honesty can't hurt.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

My questions are:

Please share you inputs.
    Please don't criticize.

In your present setup you can not match the online price because it is close to what you pay wholesale. However the online price does not include your service or any service. You order, they make and ship it without any other service

You match or closely match and make up the difference in service charges. Piece by piece or in bulk.

If you would go with No 2 you would have a possible solution

Times have changed with the popularity of sales online in every field.........and we got to adjust

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The best decision would be to try your best to exceed this particular customer's expectations and to do everything in your power to make him a repeat customer. I know you want a specific "optical field" field answer, but this situation is no different than any other customer service related scenario at any particular business (food, retail, call center etc.).

Maybe try having a clear and concise policy on price matching so there is no gray area.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I have a friend who does generational training and passed the OP's post to her, this was her response.

Interesting. It's reality that Millennials and soon all of us are going to start real time comparison shopping. From a marketing perspective they are going to have to answer with a " we aren't able to that ..either

Because..(and reason) like.quality is different (if true)

Or

"But here's what we do offer...( what is their value-added) that makes it worth it). They need to know what Millennials are looking for besides lower costs, ie, saving time is a big one (free shipping) on-going stop in repair,adjustment, cleaning; etc.

Could they submit an order for three boxes but pay and receive them one at a time?

It's going to take some creativity and flat out asking their younger customers what they are looking for.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Generation Me? Big eaters, bad tippers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Generation Me? Big eaters, bad tippers.
    And, right here, this very thread is a microcosm of the problem occurring right now vis-a-vis millennials vs. elder generations. Two members of Optiboard-- one of them a two-year veteran of the forums-- have identified themselves as millennials and made an effort to reach out to older members as a way of bridging the generation gap. The response? The older members speak as though we aren't even here and make disparaging remarks.

And Boomers/Gen-X wonder why we have such bad attitudes towards them?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    And, right here, this very thread is a microcosm of the problem occurring right now vis-a-vis millennials vs. elder generations. Two members of Optiboard-- one of them a two-year veteran of the forums-- have identified themselves as millennials and made an effort to reach out to older members as a way of bridging the generation gap. The response? The older members speak as though we aren't even here and make disparaging remarks.

And Boomers/Gen-X wonder why we have such bad attitudes towards them?
    Oh please. We don't have "what's the smartest thing your patients said to you" threads, and we don't talk about the most responsible 20 year olds either. The poster and commenters are expressing frustration from experiencing frustration coming from a majority of these people. Don't be so offended, no one is insulting you. We are an optical community and no one understands the frustrations of day to day optician life better than other opticians. That's why so many are married to other optical professionals. Why shouldn't we talk about ways to get these people to unclench their sweaty palms from their money. We all want successful businesses, right. So chill out dude, and maybe explain how you would be converted to buying locally for a few bucks more.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Oh please. We don't have "what's the smartest thing your patients said to you" threads, and we don't talk about the most responsible 20 year olds either. The poster and commenters are expressing frustration from experiencing frustration coming from a majority of these people. Don't be so offended, no one is insulting you. We are an optical community and no one understands the frustrations of day to day optician life better than other opticians. That's why so many are married to other optical professionals. Why shouldn't we talk about ways to get these people to unclench their sweaty palms from their money. We all want successful businesses, right. So chill out dude, and maybe explain how you would be converted to buying locally for a few bucks more.

I think I love you!

Very well said!

Salute!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You've got to have a sense of humor.

Thread Information