Thread: Lenses fogging

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Lenses fogging

Hello,

What are the general solutions to help someone who's lenses fog up? What are the usual causes?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Can it happen because the frame is too close to the face or mostly due to weather conditions?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Humidity ...............drastic temperature changes...........not enough ventilation

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmessi View Post

What are the general solutions to help someone who's lenses fog up? What are the usual causes?

Humidity ...............drastic temperature changes.....................not enough ventilation

Even by having enough ventilation, they first two listed items might still and will activate fogging up. A good anti fog product should be available in every optical store. There are dozens available on the market and some of them are even good.

A sudden fogging up can actually create dangerous accidents at work, in the car or at play. So this theme should be regarded as important enough to do something about.

Today 90% of all automotive brands have all their instruments and their panel covers treated with one of the best products around
    treated for such occurrences.

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Chris,
    What do the auto manufacturers do (coat, apply, layer???) After reading your post, I'm trying to remember if I've ever had an issue with fogging on the instruments. Just wondering.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksims View Post

Chris,
    What do the auto manufacturers do (coat, apply, layer???) After reading your post, I'm trying to remember if I've ever had an issue with fogging on the instruments. Just wondering.

Actually the auto manufacturers do assemble the pieces into the car. They do order and buy the pieces from sub manufacturers who design and make them.

These days electronic controls and electronic instruments for the automotive industry are made by a very few and large corporations that dominate that market angle.

They apply it the way they were taught on the instrument and dashboard covers for a 100% protection before sealing the lenses airtight to the instruments.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 09-09-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a patient who worked in a kitchen making some of the best Chinese food ive probably ever had. I couldn't understand a word that he said, but his biggest issue was going into the freezer and then into the kitchen. His glasses would fog right up and he couldn't see anything.....poor guy. At the time (this was about 2 years ago) http://news.essilorusa.com/releases/...fog-technology Crizal came out with optifog. Worked wonders. It was through interpretive dance and mummenchantz that we explained how to use the solution but it worked very well for him.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    I had a patient who worked in a kitchen making some of the best Chinese food ive probably ever had. I couldn't understand a word that he said, but....It was through interpretive dance and mummenchantz that we explained how to use the solution but it worked very well for him.
    Hah! I love this, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Is the antifog treatment compatible with AR/super Hydrophobic coatings ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Humidity ...............drastic temperature changes.....................not enough ventilation

Even by having enough ventilation, they first two listed items might still and will activate fogging up. A good anti fog product should be available in every optical store. There are dozens available on the market and some of them are even good.

A sudden fogging up can actually create dangerous accidents at work, in the car or at play. So this theme should be regarded as important enough to do something about.

Today 90% of all automotive brands have all their instruments and their panel covers treated with one of the best products around
    treated for such occurrences.
    Back in yester year when I was in high school and college I NEVER had a problem with the instrument panel fogging up.
    Guess I was doing things ALL wrong

Occupation

Blue Jumper One jet airplane brand also has their instruments ...............................

Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post

Back in yester year when I was in high school and college I NEVER had a problem with the instrument panel fogging up.
    Guess I was doing things ALL wrong

I have never seen it myself ...................and I was not always the best.

However this will not happen again as 90-95% of all automotive brand are now protected.
    Also a large corporation in the weapons industry protects all their electronic instruments against fogging up.

One jet airplane brand also has their instruments on the dash protected.

And the latest to jump on the bandwagon is a manufacturer that produces medical full size face shields for the operating rooms.

So it is becoming an important factor where fogging up could become a danger to anybody on the scene or aboard, and actually should be an important factor in the eyeglass industry where usually nobody talks about or belittles it as a small accessory you can correct by spitting on the lens and wiping it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not pushing the product, but I did receive a demo kit for Optifog lenses. Following the instructions on how to activate the Optifog resulted in a lens that didn't fog up, no matter how hard I "haaaaaaaa'd" on it.

It's an Essilor product, but it seems like it works. There are plenty of useable applications (doctors, truck drivers, delivery people, snowboarders etc).

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by BP3 View Post
    Not pushing the product, but I did receive a demo kit for Optifog lenses. Following the instructions on how to activate the Optifog resulted in a lens that didn't fog up, no matter how hard I "haaaaaaaa'd" on it.

It's an Essilor product, but it seems like it works. There are plenty of useable applications (doctors, truck drivers, delivery people, snowboarders etc).

Is the optifog applied in vacuum chamber or through an spray bottle ,that you have to apply again every once in a while?Can it be applied to AR lenses with Super hydrophobic , considering the optifog coating to be hidrophilic ?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper ptical professionals have never been interested in such products ....................

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post

Is the optifog applied in vacuum chamber or through an spray bottle ,that you have to apply again every once in a while?Can it be applied to AR lenses with Super hydrophobic , considering the optifog coating to be hidrophilic ?
    Optifog is an Essilor spray on anti fog product, like hundreds of others.

There has been and still is a Super Hydrophobic coating that is also anti-fog on the market since 1987.

Also the latest ant fog product is a re-new able version as a permanent coating.

It is funny that optical professionals have never been interested in such products which should be a natural for such professions, but is not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There has been and still is a Super Hydrophobic coating that is also anti-fog on the market since 1987.

Also the latest ant fog product is a re-new able version as a permanent coating.

It is funny that optical professionals have never been interested in such products which should be a natural for such professions, but is not.
    Supposedly new for 2014, Optifog lenses now use a "molecule activating" microfiber cloth that is to be used everyday to prevent fog.

When I first got the kit in, I cleaned the lens and breathed on it trying to make it as foggy as possible and boy did I succeed.

I then cleaned the lenses and used the microfiber cloth to activate the optifog coating and it really does work and very well at that.

My concern is that in order for the lenses to remain fog free, the activator cloth has to be used every day and can never be washed because washing it will reduce it's effectiveness. I feel that only a select number of patients would listen to the instructions and the rest would come in a month later asking why the lenses don't work. I am also positive that dirty lenses will also reduce the effectiveness of the coating, and we all know how dirty lenses can get.

But what do I know?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Optifog was never a spray.

Optifog is a combination of a lens blank/coating that was engineered to drastically lower the contact angle of water beading on the lens, thereby causing the millions of tiny droplets that cause fogging to combine and drip off of the lens. It used to come with a small bottle of the "activator" that was applied to the lens once a week.

They discontinued the activator bottles and replaced it with a cloth, like BP3 says I think they knew this was going to cause problems with patients forcing them to buy more cloths and making them more money.

Optifog comes with either an AR or a Hardcoat, the AR is supposed to be equivalent to Avance but they always says it's a completely different stack than typical ARs.
    Last edited by D_Zab; 09-16-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: GRAMMAR!

Occupation

Blue Jumper Essilor might be inventing it 20 years down the road.................................

Quote Originally Posted by BP3 View Post

Supposedly new for 2014, Optifog lenses now use a "molecule activating" microfiber cloth that is to be used everyday to prevent fog.

I then cleaned the lenses and used the microfiber cloth to activate the optifog coating and it really does work and very well at that.

A soaked microfiber will do the trick until there is no more chemicals on it. That was already on the market 50 years ago and is no new invention.

What is new is the PAF coating (Permanent Anti Fog) system. This is renewable when needed. It is already in use by some safety lens companies and Essilor might be inventing it 20 years down the road.

Thread Information