Thread: At least it's not going the way of Michael Kors.....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

At least it's not going the way of Michael Kors.....

"French luxury goods group Kering has created an in-house eyewear division to tighten control over its Luxury and Sport & Lifestyle brands, gradually managing all of the high profile licenses. As part of the initiative, Kering said it is to “evolve” its 20-year partnership with eyewear maker Safilo, terminating its current Gucci license agreement at the end of 2016 instead of end-2018. From January 2017, Safilo instead will handle production development, manufacturing and supply of Gucci eyewear on a new four-year contract, renewable by mutual agreement. Kering, meanwhile, will make a 90 million euro compensation payment to Safilo in three installments between 2014-2018. The French group said that former Safilo chief executive Roberto Vedovotto and his team would be co-shareholders of a new entity called Kering Eyewear. A spokeswoman for the group declined to reveal how much Kering is investing in the project. Meanwhile Safilo’s shares plummet. The stock opened today’s trading at 12.5 euro (compared to 16 at yesterday) in heavy decline, reaching a theoretical collapse of 32%."

link here:
    http://en.pambianconews.com/safilo-loses-license-deal-with-gucci-shares-plummet/
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    does this mean the brand will get pulled from LensCafters and Singlass Hug?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That would not suck, would it? :)

I would like to see the luxury licenses favor the boutique optical versus mass appeal retail joints. I know where I would rather be a dispensing Optician. Let the chains and the onliners have their cheap plastic crap while the best of us run with the big boys....
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or they will sell only in their stores!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post

That would not suck, would it? :)

I would like to see the luxury licenses favor the boutique optical versus mass appeal retail joints. I know where I would rather be a dispensing Optician. Let the chains and the onliners have their cheap plastic crap while the best of us run with the big boys....

................Try to look through the eyes of a manufacturer.

Would you prefer to sell thousands of your products to the big name retailer or to the specialized upscale opticians who orders one by one to be shipped in a small box every time ?

These days any manufacturer of anything in any commercial field is dreaming of landing some big accounts for his products, and use the small ones as the cream in his coffee,

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    These days any manufacturer of anything in any commercial field is dreaming of landing some big accounts for his products, and use the small ones as the cream in his coffee,
    Or as an annoyance, like gum on the bottom of your shoe.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that some manufacturers do want to appeal to the masses ala Wally World. I still believe there is a good market for couture and what could be more couture than eyewear? I think it all depends on who you want as a demographic. If Gucci can elevate their brand then good on them.

This sort of drives home my point:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/popul...ine-1406911371

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    is this going to be a case where we need to have a Tux, white gloves and a velvet rope to sell Gucci.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    is this going to be a case where we need to have a Tux, white gloves and a velvet rope to sell Gucci.
    I'm all about it, especially if I get my own glass of champagne in a sippy cup under the counter. ;)

Thread Information