Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the problem with varilux markings

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We have tried everything, I think. The markings on the lenses doesn't come off.

We have tried acetone, alcohol, ao ink remover, non-acetone fingernail polish remover. Is there anything else.........

Some work great on cr39, but on poly and some high-index, it just takes sooooooooooooo
    long.

any help.......

offaxis

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Put solution 30 on them, heat them up until it evaporates, put it on again, and scrub with a tissue until your finger joints fracture.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    So thats why when you send a half pair back for a match that we at the labs cant find the marks we need to find out whether the lens has got thinning prism, what make, type etc. Have a thought for the lab guys and leave the manufactures markings on the patient cant see them when they are wearing them...

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    I'm confused, are you talkin about the permanent lens reference marks or the "ink" marks the labs put on after surfacing? You can't take of the permanent ref. marks, and we never had a problem with swiping the ink marks off with acetone. ??

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I am talking about the ink marks from the manufacturer. Cr39 comes off with no problem, but poly, what a pain.

I don't why varilux has to put so much damn ink on them, I am sure the pt. really doesn't care about how much advertising has to be on the lens when we surface it...............

offaxis

What I am looking for is a chemical which takes off the damn ink, without taking all of my time or cracking because I put some of the crap on the edge.

I bet the AR labs have just as much fun too..............

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi Off Axis,

Have you tried See Green's "non-acetone" acetone? That is not the name of the product...that's just what I call it. They'll know what you mean...

Good luck,

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A quick pass through a frame warmer and alcohol usually works.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

offaxis, those ink marks are not put on by varilux, they are put on at the lab during final inspection, you might ask your lab to leave them off of your lens orders. then you can dot the lenses yourself, save a lot of hassle. works for us.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    OffAxis as Al said ask the lab about what they use for the markings :D I had a look in our plastic dept today and at least 90% of varifocal marking were not left on after deblocking so they have to be remarked and what they use to do this does vary from brand to brand some use manufactures stickers some are ink pads and some are just plain old felt tip pens. So what gets one type off wont get the other type off.
    Hope this is of more help than my first post.
    John "Look before you type next time" R

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

offaxis,

Our local Home Depot and Lowe's sells a product called "GOOF OFF" made by a company calld Guardsman. It is sold in a yellow can with red and black lettering in various sizes. We have been using it for a few years now and found it to work great on everything. However, DONT USE IT ON YOUR AR LENSES.

A 4.5 oz can cost around 3 bucks, comes with a close and open spout, and goes a long way.

PAkev

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I think See Green's answer to Acetone is called SolvesIt and it works pretty well. I've found a little hot neutralizer right out of the diepot to work well, when dealing with poly I dip the corner of a towel in the pot and smear it on the lense. Anything else the whole lense goes in and the markings come right off.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What great ideas. I was having the same trouble with Naturals. I am going to put some of your ideas to the test. I so love to try new ideas!!!
    Have a great weekend !!!!
    Steph

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

The SeeGreen product is also environmentally safe. AO also makes a product called "AO Progessive Ink Remover" part #9323-001 (1 liter). Dab it on for about 2 seconds, and with little pressure, the ink should come off. Very good with FACTORY ink marks. Hard to say about LAB markings since everyone uses different types of ink - as mentioned in a previous post.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

an even easier one ,place the lens into the bleach in your tint bath!!!!!!!

Redhot Jumper

Try some neutralizer from your tint tank, before it gets really hot, dab a cloth in it and then remove the marks, works great!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Try Wilbond

We have used a product we get from a paint store. It is called Wilbond. Very similar to acetone. It will remove progressive marks, many things people get on their lenses & can't get off, cleans frames (metal & zyl), & many other uses. I first used it 30 years ago at the lab I was working at to clean off the blocking lens protector (used when blocking up lenses for surfacing). I have used it ever since for cleaning most anything off of lenses.

Its stated use is to prepare & clean surfaces for painting. I have been told it is a good gun cleaner also. So after you have taken care of that irate customer, you can clean your weapon for the next screwball!!

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hot neutralizer right from the tint unit works great for us cr39 we dip the whole lense in, poly and high index we dip the corner of a towel and wipe off the markings. Watch the edges on the poly lenses we edge polish all our lenses in the edger and the neutralizer will cloud the polished edge on poly.
    Mike

Bad address email on file
    Hot neutralizer works Ok but I know what he means some take more rubbing than others.
    Tom

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I tested it today and found some of the white trasparent markings(logo) are laser engraved instead of printing. (power = 7 %, speed = 100 % , DPI = 85 %). The logo is formed by burned dots under microscope !!!!

Hot neutralier should work ok since it is acid base and will not "melt" the hard coating as fast as acetone(solvent base).

Try your local plastic supply and ask for anything would remove "scratch mark" and filler for poly.
    Last edited by JERRY HUANG; 10-27-2001 at 03:55 AM.

Bad address email on file Rick-Strong's Avatar

Markings

We use "Solves-It", I think thats the name. Best I have seen in my 20 + years. Available from "Hilco".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Isn't there some sort of risk of having extensive exposure to Acetone on the skin? Should this be topic on its own?
    Last edited by Specs; 10-27-2001 at 01:03 PM.

Bad address email on file Rick-Strong's Avatar

Correction !!!

We use "Mark A Way"
    Dist. by Kleargo

Acetone exposure

Spec13
    I have heard that acetone exposure can cause liver proplems but where as they use it in fingernail polish remover that it must not be much of a hazzard. I used it often for the last 25 years as a model maker dipping in zyl frames to make them shiny or gluing on nose pads and I haven't had any proplems.
    Tom

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I've been getting acetone on my skin for years, and I've failed to nnnnoooticce annyyy ill effectsss!!!!

:D

According to the HSDS on acetone, exposure can cause neurological problems. If you work in a typical lab, you need to be far more worried about exposure to lead alloy (which, if memory serves, has a bunch of "nasties" in it- like cadmium).

I've also used the Goof Off with a lot of success in the past. To be honest, we don't use a lot of Varilux product, and straight acetone seems to work really well for us on all materials.

Speaking of HSDS forms, I wonder what the sheet on H20 would look like:

uses: drinking, rinsing, when frozen is used to keep alcoholic beverages cool
    hazards: potential slip hazard, especially at low temperatures, potentially hazardous to protestors when shot from cannon, can sink large ships when in form of an iceburg
    overexposure: drowning

Anyway, try the Goof Off!

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also heard acetone can cause liver problemsl. We only drink it on special occassions now.:hammer:

Thread Information