Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walmart Vision Center

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David F View Post
    My sentiments exactly, After 20 years as an independent Optical shop owner, I made the move to the "big guys" 8 years ago, I have to say it has been a pleasant surprise.
    I guess it's all about what you're comparing it to.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like to talk about the other side of taking a job at Walmart. It's not gonna be PC.

Do You want to deal with the average person who shops at walmart. (I shop at walmart, or did until I moved to a town that only has a target) You will deal daily with patients who balk at the incredibly cheap glasses and depending where you live, won't speak English as a first language. I personally hate dealing with people who don't speak English, not because I don't like them, but because I can't understand what the heck they are saying, and I can't communicate or ask them questions for what they need. And as was previously stated, how many times can you listen to complaints on how expensive 49 dollar glasses are. I worked for the doctor in a Walmart for 4 years, and while there were many enjoyable, super nice patients, there were a higher percentage of folks that drag you down. Day after day. It's not about low income patients. It's about patients who shop at Walmart because they want to buy as much as they can for as little as possible, and they are insanely aggressive and angry when you tell them a price is higher than they think it should be. Just another point of view.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=optilady1;492732] It's about patients who shop at Walmart because they want to buy as much as they can for as little as possible, and they are insanely aggressive and angry when you tell them a price is higher th
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunOptician View Post
    Hey guys and gals.

I am currently a Vision Center Manager for a Wal-Mart Vision Center in southern Louisiana. As far as I know, no store in Louisiana is currently affiliated with NVI. We are a one-door state, and Louisiana does not currently require opticians to be licensed. Being ABO or NCLE certified is a plus, though, and Wal-Mart offers a pay incentive to any optician who gets himself or herself certified.

Our Vision Centers are open from 9 AM to 8 PM Monday through Saturday, and 12 Noon to 5 PM on Sundays.

I am thankful to have a Market Health and Wellness director who actually cares about the business. This is where the quality of service you receive will stem from. If the boss doesn't care, then neither will the associates working for him or her. I read horror stores all the time from people complaining about their experience at their local Wal-Mart Vision Center. Believe me, I am grateful that we're not one of those locations.

My biggest and only gripe concerning Wal-Mart is the lack of sufficient training. If you want to know all there is to know about Optical, you pretty much have to learn it on your own. There is no official, structured training involved. You are hired on as an Optical Trainee, and you're placed with a sponsor Optician who is responsible for your training. If you remain on the job for 12 months, you are promoted to Optician Non-Certified, or Optician Single/Dual-Certified should you complete the ABO/NCLE exams, or Licensed Optician once you complete the licensing in the required states.

A few points I'd like to point out based on previous comments.

The only day we are required to show up beyond the store's normal hours of operation is for Inventory.

We do not participate in Black Friday.

We do not alter our hours to compete with local eye centers.

My job as the vision center manager is 100% devoted to the optical department. We are a separate division from the rest of the store. I do not report to or answer to anyone inside the store. I answer only to my market health and wellness director.
    I think you'll find that this is NOT the norm when you work at WM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked at Walm-mart for 9 years and most of that was in optical. I would never work there again for a few reasons.

1. Nights, weekends and holidays. I was under the impression at some point I would no longer work nights but that never happended. That may have been partly my fault because I complain enough and to be honest it wasn't an issue tell I had a family.

2. Horrible coworkers. I know this can happen anywhere but I worked with some of the rudness most disrectful people. I had one lady not even speak to me for the last 4-6 months I worked there.

3. Bad managers. Again this can happend anywhere. When I told my manager about the above mentioned coworker not talking to me she rolled her eyes and asked me what was she supposed to do about it. Another time we had an employee that was basicly a bully and we were told to just stand up to him. I basicly had a problem with them when they needed to manage someone. Both the people I mentioned still work there to the best of my knowledge.

4. This is a given but they just don't know what they are doing. The worst part is they don't know how little they know. They learn the "Wal-mart way" and think they know it all. You basicly need to teach yourself everything.

These are a few of the reasons I wont work there again. I know they can happen at any workplace and I am sure some Wal-marts are great to work at. I just never worked at any.
    Last edited by Mizikal; 09-12-2014 at 10:25 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice CajunOptician's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSore View Post
    I think you'll find that this is NOT the norm when you work at WM
    Oh I know my market is above the norm when compared to other Wal-Mart Vision Centers throughout the nation. I take great pride in that.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I guess it's all about what you're comparing it to.
    Maybe Cajun and I are just lucky ? It's all about what you make it, I have no control over what happens at other Walmart vision centers, I try to educate myself and staff above and beyond, most patients we see appreciate the service.

Problem patients I have are the same people that give my wife problems down the street at the cellphone provider she works for, their simple that way everywhere.
    Tennessee Licensed
    Georgia Licensed
    ABOC-AC
    NCLEC

OptiBoard Apprentice CajunOptician's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    And as was previously stated, how many times can you listen to complaints on how expensive 49 dollar glasses are.
    When I hear them say this, I simply challenge the patient to find an identical product at any local eye center that is less than that price.

Thread Information