Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Seiko Superior Lens?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The Seiko Superior Lens?

Any feedback? Is it competing against the S series? Pricing (In General)? What have you heard?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I think of them as the quite kid at the back of the class that likes to laugh at most of the other kids.
    Price wise there is not contest Seiko will beat any of the Named lenses, even Shamir. (kinda makes me frown) Quality wise I've fit a few and never had a single non-adapt. Some have odd fittings like a 2 drop or blocking at the 180, that scares some opticians though. They are thinner for the most part than comparable lenses. As far as going head to head with a S, I'd put money on the Seiko. Any day of the week.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I am trying to wear all of the Superiors, but so far I am incredibly impressed in 2 of 3. It has the most complicated corridor in the industy, think of it like a Free-form lens INSIDE a Free-form lens. I count in my math around 6.2 million possible corridor combinations based on sphere, cyl, add, inset, panto and seg height variables. That is just the corridor.

For comparison most corridor combinations even if Free-form are about.... 36.

The corridor is the most ancient piece of design we have on lenses today. its essentially copied from standard progressives.

The distance zone is *spectacular*, the result is that the corridor goes farther any other to balance unwanted lateral near prism. The result is very very low swim or sway, or fatigue. So top and bottom its a pretty great lens. I am going to get an Auto III to compare the whole series with...

But right now it exceeds my Zeiss Individual 2 and matches Shaw Lens in Distance clarity (the current DVA champ in my stable), beating out my Auto II, InTouch, GT2-3D and Choice. and but it also brings and enhanced near clarity that has not been matched in any other lens.

Add that with the potential to reduce near field fatigue, and its wide design base, and its contention for best Distance Lens in the World.

I have worn the S Design, and Fit, and found both terrible.. DVA was 60 feet less than my InTouch or Surmount, and 90 feet less than my current distance champ the Shaw Lens (I have a green freeway sign I use for DVA testing). after 2 redo's just to make sure I didn't get a bad one. The second was better but those rank as the worst lenses I have ever worn. Gave them a month of full time wear too. Physio DRx is in my opinion Essilor's best lens in my RX but it has a inexplicably long adaptation period.

For reference, I am -1.00 -50, -1.25 -.50 with a +1.50 add. Add is changing though, dag nab it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Van, The Superior, is it a variable corridor lens? When you say "2 of 3" are there different styles? I'd like to know more about Seiko's offerings since they do so well for me.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    NCspecs, it has officially 11 fitting heights, but there is a variable version in my computer. But what that really means it has 22 fitting heights. The real variability of the corridor however is laterally. It will realign the entire corridor, both in path and direction in .1 mm increments to keep the corridor underneath the eyepath. Eyepath is greatly affected by power, cyl especially. Eyepath is also VERY different for myopes and hyperopes. and only 5% of patients converge the standard 2.5mm each side. Most free-form lenses have a straight drop to a fixed inset. The Superior realigns the entire length of the corridor based on each power and near PD.

So a few lenses have a variable seg height, but they don't relalign the corridor, and they don't provide for specific near PD. The rare ones that have a few variable inset options only base the inset on the base curve, so its not truly freeform, and it doesn't take into account the true near PD. In some cases esp wraps or flat frames it can make it much worse.

The result is that even in most free-form lenses alignment is poor, and near PDs are not taken into account. Its probably the number one issue with FF lenses today. Seiko covers that issue with more precision than any other manufacturer right now in the Superior.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    With the 2 of 3, the Superior offers 3 different designs. The FAR design is like the InTouch. The Balanced design is close the Auto II in a T Shape. The NEAR design is close the Comfort DRx with a very wide reading zone.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank - you Van. Great information.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    With the 2 of 3, the Superior offers 3 different designs. The FAR design is like the InTouch. The Balanced design is close the Auto II in a T Shape. The NEAR design is close the Comfort DRx with a very wide reading zone.

Excellent info. Jason and I just got off the phone a moment ago and we were discussing this thread.

Would you fit this more on a mild myope to a higher hyperope?

Also, another question, if someone struggles with a convergence issue, will this be a greater boon to them because their eyes don't have to work as hard to follow a traditional PAL corridor or will they have difficulty fusing their near vision?

I am excited to try this technology!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Adult convergence disorders have never been well studied in the US. I came across 2 studies in Europe that gave an indication that up to 19% of adults may have some latent convergence issues that were never fully solved.

My own experience in Ophthalmology in analyzing progressive non-adapts found that almost 2x as many non-adapts had childhood issues such as "lazy-eye" that seemed to be resurfacing in some way (often post cataract surgery).

What I recommend is to take near PDs on all progressive patients, but esp non-adapts. If there is 1mm or more difference between convergences OD and OS then the Seiko lines could be a huge help. If there is less than 3.0 mm total (common in high myopes) then the Seiko lenses can be a huge help.

I just worked with a high myope Optician who can't wear most progressives. Interestingly, she never had taken a near PD (I can't explain that). When I took her near PD her total convergence was .5 mm (yes, point 5 mm) on two pupilometers. It explained a problem she has had for over 15 years. The Seiko lenses were godsend to her. How many others patients are like this? No one really knows but its worth screening for.

Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Excellent info. Jason and I just got off the phone a moment ago and we were discussing this thread.

Would you fit this more on a mild myope to a higher hyperope?

Also, another question, if someone struggles with a convergence issue, will this be a greater boon to them because their eyes don't have to work as hard to follow a traditional PAL corridor or will they have difficulty fusing their near vision?

I am excited to try this technology!

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I was recently approached by one of my labs regarding these new Seiko lenses and have been hesitant to try them. I have been using the Comfort as my go to lens due to the significant decrease in non-adapts but am totally open to any lens that can compete with it VA wise and cost wise. Glad to see that there's good feedback coming through. Any suggestions fitting wise? I tend to fit the Comforts 2-3 mm lower than pupil center and have no problems.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dv View Post
    I tend to fit the Comforts 2-3 mm lower than pupil center and have no problems.
    this is not a good practice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Any suggestions fitting wise? I tend to fit the Comforts 2-3 mm lower than pupil center and have no problems.
    Most modern free-form lenses must be fit on center for acceptable results, they include a drop already, and you could mess up the aspherics and misalign the corridors. Anything fully 100% Free-form and launched in the last 4 years applies.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Not dispensing the free forms

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not dispensing the free forms
    do you mean you haven't or you just don't want to?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Haven't had the need. I have tried the free forms on the Doc and he doesn't notice a difference. I don't see a reason to sell an "upgraded" product when it comes with a much higher price tag without giving a significant "wow" factor. Still waiting for that. I will be experimenting with the new Seiko options for the doc to see if he gets a wow factor or not.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would try them on the patients as just relying on what your Dr thinks seems very close minded? I am surprised you pay that much more for the some of the new designs? I pay as much for the comfort /physios as I do for some of the shamir freeform. It would be like me saying I will just stick to my old brick cell phone instead of the fancy new phones because the call quality is not "that much" better?? The science is definitely there I just feel you need a much larger test group IMHO.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I can absolutely see how it may seem close-minded. And yes you are correct, I do need a larger test group. Right now I only have two people in the office who wear progressives. We are a very small office. I have practically a 0% non adapt rate so far. The price point on the regular non-free form Comforts is right on the line as to what my patients can afford. These are patients that in the past had been in old fashioned Outlooks, Image, and at one point the optician here would only dispense regular SolaMax. We would have non adapts all the time which would take up valuable chair time. Of course with so many parameters coming into play regarding whether a patient will adapt or not (correct SH, fitting of frame, explanation of how to use them etc), I am sure the possibilities are endless and not necessarily an issue regarding the lenses themselves. All I can go by is the fact that ever since I have been thrust into full responsibility of the dispensing (aside from everything else) I have had consistent success and patient satisfaction with the Comfort. I am open to newer options if the price is the same. I don't have many patients that can afford more than what we are charging for the Comfort as is. But this is why I posted the question. I rely on the experience and wisdom of others as well. And very grateful for it. I am open to any suggestions you all may have.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try it on a patient with a high cyl, or a high minus, or a frame with a fitting "wrap" of over 7 degrees (this includes more frames than you think). Let them know they are going to be a "guinea pig" for a new lens, most patients with difficult RX's enjoy feeling like they are on the forefront of technology.

We just changed patient who had been wearing a comfort enhanced (basically a comfort slightly optimized for RX) into a fully position of wear optimized lens, just my lab's house meat and potatos IOT freeform, and teh patient was astounded by how much better the reading was, not to mention the peripheral distortion.

I use many lenses, including traditionally surfaced Physios and Comforts. But you should be including newer designs in your tool box, IMHO.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am going to start working with Seiko freeform lenses, I'm just getting sick of hearing how good they are I need to use them. What ARs are you guys using on the Superior lens? This is a dealbreaker for me, especially in the higher indexes, we try to only sell super high grade AR....

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I used the house AR, from what I saw it's on par with sapphire, only with a slight red tint instead of a blue. I've used every thing from the el cheapo to the best. keep with what you're doing on the AR and you'll be fine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I am going to start working with Seiko freeform lenses, I'm just getting sick of hearing how good they are I need to use them. What ARs are you guys using on the Superior lens? This is a dealbreaker for me, especially in the higher indexes, we try to only sell super high grade AR....
    With my lab, I use the Crizal Avance' with 1.50, 1.60 and 1.67. With Trivex, it's Zeiss Purecoat. I don't use poly.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Try it on a patient with a high cyl, or a high minus, or a frame with a fitting "wrap" of over 7 degrees (this includes more frames than you think). Let them know they are going to be a "guinea pig" for a new lens, most patients with difficult RX's enjoy feeling like they are on the forefront of technology.

We just changed patient who had been wearing a comfort enhanced (basically a comfort slightly optimized for RX) into a fully position of wear optimized lens, just my lab's house meat and potatos IOT freeform, and teh patient was astounded by how much better the reading was, not to mention the peripheral distortion.

I use many lenses, including traditionally surfaced Physios and Comforts. But you should be including newer designs in your tool box, IMHO.
    Thanks for the advise. The Doc is a high cyl and high minus which is why I like to use him as my "go to" guinea pig. My mom and pop lab is offering the Seiko freeforms to me. They will be doing some branded under them or something like that. I prefer to always go with and support my mom and pop shop when possible so I will be testing these out in the next few weeks. If they offer equal or better results than the Comfort I will be going with them. Any specific other advise anyone would like to throw at my I am ready to receive :)

Again , thank you for the advise. Its SOOOO appreciated and welcomed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can these be got through Digital Eye Lab yet? They're not showing on their provider portal of lenses yet...and I'm still waiting to hear back from our rep (called him late last week).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Can these be got through Digital Eye Lab yet? They're not showing on their provider portal of lenses yet...and I'm still waiting to hear back from our rep (called him late last week).
    I spoke with Mike at DEL, they should be available soon.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Luzerne has them now.

Thread Information