Thread: Auto lensometer ink cartridges seem to be empty

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Auto lensometer ink cartridges seem to be empty

My office just got a LM-7000 machine from another company. The blocking ink marks very, very lightly. They company that we bought the machine from sent us a bottle of red refill ink, but when you unscrew the cartridges from the holder and the spring comes out, etc. they are just little compressed felt ink pads (if that makes sense) that don't disattach from the main cartridge. Trying to insert the ink from the bottle into these or soaking them in it is just a horrendous mess. Anyone familiar with this style of cartridge or think we need to replace the whole cartridge or how to get the cartridge to absorb the ink?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't know if this will help you or not, but the best ink I've found for lensometers and layout markers is Pitney-Bowes postage meter ink. Just put a drop or two on the felt pads. It's about the consistency of ketchup. Nice and dark, doesn't dry out quickly or run all over everything. When it does dry, moisten it with a little water. Add more ink only when necessary. Pitney-Bowes wouldn't sell it to me because I didn't have a meter, but I had a relative who sold photocopiers and she scored a bottle for me from one of her accounts. A little four oz. bottle has lasted for years.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the tip waynegilpin. I will try dropping a few drops of the ink onto the little cartridges we have to see if that will do anything. The only problem I guess now that I think of it is that they are stuck up inside a little barrel so I don't know how I'd get them out...which makes me think that the whole thing is meant to be replaced...

Thread Information