Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do lenses craze?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Why do lenses craze?

Client picked up her glasses three days a go and she came back because one of the lenses were crazed, it was replaced and than she came back again because the other one got crazed when it wasn't before, strange.

What are the reasons they craze? Bad batch? Should I ask her what she does for a living? I know sometimes if the lens is inserted to tight it can happen but she's definitely doing something to craze them.

I was thinking of giving her a easy clean coating.

What do you guys think it can be?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    whats she cleaning them with? i had a guy who cleaned his with alcohol every day and that happened.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    whats she cleaning them with? i had a guy who cleaned his with alcohol every day and that happened.
    We use alcohol every day to clean the lenses; it works great and does not effect coatings. We us the strong stuff as the weak does not work. The lab cleans the lenses with alcohol as well; it is not bad for coatings.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We use alcohol every day to clean the lenses; it works great and does not effect coatings. We us the strong stuff as the weak does not work. The lab cleans the lenses with alcohol as well; it is not bad for coatings.
    Craig, using pure undiluted Isopropyl to clean lenses 2 to 3 times a day will wear down coating MUCH faster than using only soap and water or a PH balanced lens spray. It is a fact that I have seen with my own eyes.

It is one thing to clean a lens with isopropyl prior to hard coating, or to wipe a lens down prior to affixing a lens tape for edging, but it is a totally different thing to say clients can just go at it with isopropyl and it will have no effects on coatings.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Craig, using pure undiluted Isopropyl to clean lenses 2 to 3 times a day will wear down coating MUCH faster than using only soap and water or a PH balanced lens spray. It is a fact that I have seen with my own eyes.

It is one thing to clean a lens with isopropyl prior to hard coating, or to wipe a lens down prior to affixing a lens tape for edging, but it is a totally different thing to say clients can just go at it with isopropyl and it will have no effects on coatings.
    pure IPA should not affect the coating itself, but it will have an effect on the hydrophobic/oleophobic layer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post
    hydrophobic/oleophobic layer
    That seems like an important part of the coating, really.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I clean mine everyday with alcohol. .. :-)

Heat is usually a factor. The plastic expands and the ar don't ... or I had a high minus in a flexible optyl frame... the center was so thin the lenses easily folded in this particular frame it they kept crazing. We ended up switching frames and was no longer an issue.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I clean mine everyday with alcohol. .. :-)

Heat is usually a factor. The plastic expands and the ar don't ... or I had a high minus in a flexible optyl frame... the center was so thin the lenses easily folded in this particular frame it they kept crazing. We ended up switching frames and was no longer an issue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shame.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	11162
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What does the crazing look like? Is it everywhere or centrally located and shaped like a block? Are the cracks vertical, horizontal, circular, or sporadic? What's the shape of the frame? What's the RX?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper What does the crazing look like? ................................

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post

What does the crazing look like? Is it everywhere or centrally located and shaped like a block? Are the cracks vertical, horizontal, circular, or sporadic? What's the shape of the frame? What's the RX?

Wes has given you the proper answer. Without knowing how the crazing looks like how can you get proper answer to you question.

You will only get a guessing game.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Crazing in my experience is down to heat. The best way to craze a lens quickly is to pop it into a frame heater.

The best way for a patient to do it could be very hot air (hairdryer - I've seen that before, but it's not common) or they could have been left in direct sunlight in a hot environment. A car is a perfect environment for this, as it works like a greenhouse almost.

Ask her - what have you got to lose? You've already wasted two pairs of lenses, what if you have to do this every week for six months??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a patient with crazed lenses. I told her it looked to me like she was cleaning it with chemicals (such as windex). She told me I was crazy... she only uses the lens cleaner we sell...except when she uses her husband's denture cleaner on them. Uh what?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    denture cleaner on them that a new one

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    As far as heat goes, sometimes a good blast from an oven door just opened (although rare). Steam room or Sauna also is a possibility. Wes has a good question- if the crazing is just in the center of the lenses, it could have been from edging or a strong thumb pushing on the lens to mount. Is the crazing more of the thin lines (like a spider web) or more of a wavy smudging throughout the lens? And if the lenses are too tight, that will make the lenses more susceptible and likely to craze. And cleaning them with alcohol for only a couple of days shouldn't have caused this. Unless the a/r was bad to begin with.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Temperature will cause the lens coating to expand and contract. If the hard coat on the lens is uneven (as is often the case with back-side spin coating), it will expand unevenly. The uneven expansion under the AR stresses the AR coating, and causes it to crack/craze.

This is why 'high end' AR coatings use a dip coat. The dip coat can be controlled and applied much more evenly than a spin coat, and they tend to have fewer problems with cracking and crazing.

Since a spin coat thickness can vary from one lens to another, this could be why one lens would craze and one would be fine.

Did she maybe just leave them on the dashboard of her car?
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1!

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Chemical, heat, compatible AR

AR may craze due to:
    Exposure to heat
    Exposed to acetone based products
    AR coat incompatible with lens material (especially high index)

• aBBerated

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    If the lens has an oliophobic top coat, crazing is far more often due to internal issues with the hard coat, and much less with chemical exposure, as the chemicals must enter through the top coat.

The exception is around the edges, if crazing is only or more around the edge then its more likely a chemical exposure or a lens edged oversize. This can happen with spin coats not laying out evenly as well.

If its in the center only, its often caused by the lens being surfaced too thin. Lenses have to a certain thickness for good heat dissipation in degassing. (degassing is baking a lens to get rid of water content). This can be exaggerated by blocking, when the lens goes under pressure in the edger it weakens the HC if the material is too thin. An edger with too much chuck pressure can also contribute, but that is rare in a lab, more common in practices that edge though.

If its across the whole lens, heat/cold or a poor coating is the likely culprit.

Some lenses also require a primer coat, and if that is skipped it can lead to crazing.

Often lenses are not crazed when the leave the lab, but the defect shows up a day, a month or a year later.
    Last edited by sharpstick777; 07-29-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    If the lens has an oliophobic top coat, crazing is far more often due to internal issues with the hard coat, and much less with chemical exposure, as the chemicals must enter through the top coat.

The exception is around the edges, if crazing is only or more around the edge then its more likely a chemical exposure or a lens edged oversize. This can happen with spin coats not laying out evenly as well.

If its in the center only, its often caused by the lens being surfaced too thin. Lenses have to a certain thickness for good heat dissipation in degassing. (degassing is baking a lens to get rid of water content). This can be exaggerated by blocking, when the lens goes under pressure in the edger it weakens the HC if the material is too thin. An edger with too much chuck pressure can also contribute, but that is rare in a lab, more common in practices that edge though.

If its across the whole lens, heat/cold or a poor coating is the likely culprit.

Some lenses also require a primer coat, and if that is skipped it can lead to crazing.

Often lenses are not crazed when the leave the lab, but the defect shows up a day, a month or a year later.

+1

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Crazing can also happen because of a contaminated coating, too much water in the air line, the coating is old or other errors.

A great hard coat is not necessarily the hardest, but one that expands at the exact same rate as the base material. The harder the coating the great its possibility of crazing.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Heat is the problem, almost always! Hot water from the faucet has crazed a few lenses lately. I figured that out by grilling a customer who wears their glasses all the time. Have the been left in the car? no. Checked in luggage? no. Wore them in a sauna? No. Any reason at all you can think they would have got hot? Well hmmmmm. I do clean them every day under hot water. What? I let the water get as hot as possible and then clean them. Yeah don't do that anymore. Cool water. Never hot. I even had a guy boil his glasses thinking that would help clean them.... Face palm

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by globaljp View Post
    Heat is the problem, almost always! Hot water from the faucet has crazed a few lenses lately. I figured that out by grilling a customer who wears their glasses all the time. Have the been left in the car? no. Checked in luggage? no. Wore them in a sauna? No. Any reason at all you can think they would have got hot? Well hmmmmm. I do clean them every day under hot water. What? I let the water get as hot as possible and then clean them. Yeah don't do that anymore. Cool water. Never hot. I even had a guy boil his glasses thinking that would help clean them.... Face palm
    Crazing after a lens is older than a month is almost always a heat issue. We get them in Florida and I did it myself to a pair but we find the most problems with transitions; it is not even close.
    We replace at 1/2 off after one year but before year two and at n/c in first year one time.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you for all the responses.

It's a slightly curved frame and she's not doing anything extraordinary with it in terms of cleaning or leaving it exposed in the sun, crazing seems to be in the middle. I have her a easy clean lens, let's see if that fixes the issue.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmessi View Post
    Thank you for all the responses.

It's a slightly curved frame and she's not doing anything extraordinary with it in terms of cleaning or leaving it exposed in the sun, crazing seems to be in the middle. I have her a easy clean lens, let's see if that fixes the issue.
    Is it a "slightly curved frame" and the lenses are aspheric with a thin center thickness? Jamming very flat lenses into a curved zyl frame will bend them, and over time will craze many of them - especially if the lens was edged with a long A measurement. Best to go spherical or Free form SV here for mounting purposes.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    While this may be true to a point, this is faulty logic for two reasons. 1) Once those layers are gone/damaged the AR stack itself is vulnerable to a myriad of real life chemical contaminants and abrasive gritty substances that will permanently damage it - in the non sterile AR lab environment that my face cheese faithful meander in daily.

2) The AR may be the most expensive part of the process, but I can get a cheap AR stack applied to a lens for 20 something dollars. The best of the best ARs (which I deal in almost exclusively) are pushing 3 to 4 times that amount. If the extra coating processes these were put through equated to a simple siloxane dip coating a la Chris Ryser they would not cost so much, nor would there be such a difference in scratch/chemical resistance among them all.

Again, advise your clients in your way, I will tell them to use soap and water, or my lens cleaner. If that doesn't work I ask them to bring the lenses to me for the use of harsher chemical agents.

you do realize that the difference between a house AR and "crizal" and the like is mostly just a name and marketing.

most labs only have one AR machine.

house AR and crizal is done by the same machine. the only real difference is the crizal coatings line essilors pockets.

like wise with the hydrophobic/oleophobic coatings.

yes ones that are done in chamber do last a bit longer and have slightly better QC. but I bet if I didn't tell you the difference, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a crizal AR and a brand A AR.

Chris isn't the only on that sells and uses wipe on hydrophobic/oleophobic coatings.

almost all jobs that come from eyemed use wipe on hydrophobic layers.

Thread Information