Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Universe has lost a powerful optical force...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    My daughter was just 26 years old when she collapsed while getting ready for work one morning. Her heart had stopped and although they tried to revive her, she fell into a coma from which she never woke. She didn't take drugs and she didn't do anything to cause this - it just happened.

We struggled for weeks afterwards trying to find out what happened, however even the autopsy failed to find a specific cause,and almost 11 years later we still we know why she died. We probably never will.

I have never written about this before for one very good reason - it is no one else's business!

When I think of how Darryl's family would feel reading some of the comments and horrible speculation made here, my heart breaks for them in a way that only someone who has lost a child can. And I would be ashamed if those comments cause them any anguish or grief.
    Agreed. It's time to lock this thread.

Darryl was always helpful when I contacted him and I greatly appreciate his knowledge. My condolences to his family and friends.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just curious, were there some inappropriate threads deleted? I only read one that did any kind of speculating? The others were merely inquiring and not in any kind of horrible way? If curiousity wasn't in our DNA we wouldn't be where we are today, although I personally would not ask such questions I don't take offense to any. I also have benefited from Darryl's knowledge and will definitley miss following his comments and his insight. My deepest condolences to his family and friends as well.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    Just curious, were there some inappropriate threads deleted? I only read one that did any kind of speculating? The others were merely inquiring and not in any kind of horrible way? If curiousity wasn't in our DNA we wouldn't be where we are today, although I personally would not ask such questions I don't take offense to any. I also have benefited from Darryl's knowledge and will definitley miss following his comments and his insight. My deepest condolences to his family and friends as well.
    +1

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

RIP Darryl

It is hard to believe Darryl is no longer with us here on earth.

When I met him approx. 15 years ago, while he was at SOLA, I could not believe such a humble young man with such a sweet smile could be so crazy brilliant! He gave us (opticianary and optometry educators) his first version of Optics Lite I was hooked.

Nick-named him:

Darryl Meister, Meister Rama, sharpening pencils at the copy machine!' (Long nick-name, I know).

Many years later his nickname became 'Adorkable'!

He wrote many things for our students, and every year I would ask them to acknowledge him with a thank-you email. He ALWAYS responded to each student...a real class act.

As others who's lives have changed by the loss of a child/loved one, I can say that NO REASON will be adequate...there is no use asking.

When people would (be rude enough to) ask me if my daughter Amanda was texting or talking on the phone during her accident it was like a knife-stab. Truth is, it was a fluke accident with no foul-play...all of the rules were followed (seat belt, speed limit, ectl)...

Please, lets support Darryl's family by sending loving thoughts and prayers and by contributing to their fund-raiser posted on his facebook page.

RIP My Dear Friend Darryl, I will love you forever.

Until we meet again,

xoxoxo

Laurie
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well said Laurie! Thanks for sharing.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    RIP My Dear Friend Darryl, I will love you forever.

Until we meet again,

xoxoxo

Laurie
    Happy to see you back Laurie, My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optiboard has lost a true, gentle Optical Master

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizzo View Post
    ertak barov;manak barov
    Lav mart er, yes beet shenem Spectacle Optics, pietz beet shenem herrakhos en mecha.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OMG, I haven't heard about this until now. Like most of you I have looked to Darryl for advice, either directly,with a phone call, or indirectly through his writings... I can not think of a more prolific force in the industry. RIP
    Paul:cheers:

Thread Information