Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried IOT's new camber PAL

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Has anyone tried IOT's new camber PAL

Our local lab is gearing up to release the new camber progressive that they call Visionary. Has anyone personally tried this ?It combines their digtal free-form back surface design that compares to anyones best design- with an aspheric front.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We've been selling it since the beginning of the year, and I've had plenty of positive response to the lens. The usual wow point is with the reading area. Since the front curve is better matched to the Rx, this tends to be the area that gets the most improvement with Camber.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I have a pair on order soon, once I find a frame. Will let you know at some point.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm currently wearing Camber FF. It's a good lens, but I didn't get any "wow factor" with it. We're still trying it out on other staff to get their opinions on it before we decide to sell it to our patients.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Occupation
    I think the thing to keep in mind for "wow factor" is what you were wearing before, and also depends on what your Rx is.

The major selling point of Camber is about the intermediate/reading being better, and being able to get a flatter lens for a high plus. So it's also about making the lenses more cosmetically appealing as well as better lens performance.
    FEA Industries
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have it on a few patients and the response has been positive. (How positive compared to other lenses? How in the world would we know without some elaborate study?)

What you can say is that it is a very good lens.

My impression, FWIW, is that the other IOT designs are "OK", but this one is "very good".

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What is the highest positive Rx progressive lens you can make with Camber lens using their highest base curve in High index 1.67 .

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What is the highest positive Rx progressive lens you can make with Camber lens using their highest base curve in High index 1.67 .

Occupation
    I'm not in front of the calculator to check, but it goes up to an 8 base in 167, so you should be able to get to a +8 or +9, but it could be slightly higher/lower depending on the rest of the Rx.
    FEA Industries
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    +8.00 Add3.00 ?

Occupation
    May work. If you want to PM me the whole RX and frame info I can run it through the calculator and let you know how it looks.
    FEA Industries
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So...

...aren't all progressive designs aspheric anyway? What else would make this design stand out?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by icmor View Post
    I'm currently wearing Camber FF. It's a good lens, but I didn't get any "wow factor" with it. We're still trying it out on other staff to get their opinions on it before we decide to sell it to our patients.
    are you myopic or hyperopic? what were you wearing previously?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    So...

...aren't all progressive designs aspheric anyway? What else would make this design stand out?
    This is atoric, and aspheric on the front side as well. No other lens does this and IOT and Younger have the patent.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't believe it has an aspheric torus geometry (Atoric) . It has a different kind of asphericity than the conventional simetrical radial asphericity lens . This lens has a horizontal asphericity which increases from top to bottom ,meaning to say it is flatter on the top and steeper on the bottom.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're right, the front surface is aspheric, not atoric.
    http://www.camberlens.com/front_surface_innovation.aspx

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    After speaking to a Younger rep I was disapointed to learn that on progressive lenses even using the highest index material you can onely go up to +6.75 Dpts.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    There are other very similar lenses as the Camber lens ; the Resona from Tokai /Japan and I've seen another that has a radial simetrical asphericity ,being flatter at the geometrical center and steeper towards the periphery of the whole lens .

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    After speaking to a Younger rep I was disapointed to learn that on progressive lenses even using the highest index material you can onely go up to +6.75 Dpts.
    I think there may be some miscommunication. powers above 6.75 are possible. It is dependent on base curve selection.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just got a pair and am wearing them now but my add is only a +1.75 and it is definitely a different feeling when putting them on the first time. I wear mostly IOT trivex in the middle compensation version and this is different? I am feeling like they are better for the computer and reading (slightly) but the distance is fine. They are not compensated much but the total add power is slightly higher than the prescribed RX which is already different than the other compensated lenses.
    We are ordering them for my staff who are all over +2.50 add's and see what they say.

It is not a radical game changer but should help with the high adds (2.50+) and cyl over 2D as long as the compensation is kept to a minimum. IOT has done a good job so I look forward to this product being helpful but I still do not know what the up charge is so we will see how we can fit in our lens system.

We do not offer any choices (I pick all lenses for orders with my lab guy) so we would need to just give it to anyone with certain parameters once we determine who gets the real optical benefits from this technology.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperoptic View Post
    I think there may be some miscommunication. powers above 6.75 are possible. It is dependent on base curve selection.
    In your experience what is the highest power you can reach in the highest base curve for a progressive Lens?

Occupation
    Well in digital SV fronts the power is limited to the front base curve and the cumulative plus power so a cumulative plus power (distance +add) of 12.00 to 14.00 depending on whats available to you as far as lenses.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperoptic View Post
    Well in digital SV fronts the power is limited to the front base curve and the cumulative plus power so a cumulative plus power (distance +add) of 12.00 to 14.00 depending on whats available to you as far as lenses.
    On Younger web page under Camber lens technical specifications the highest base curve in 1.67 index is an 8 base ,with an actual surface convertion power it gives you 9.98Dpts .I understand that this would be within the central portion of the lens and that you have 2 Dpts extra down below,that's almost 12.00 Dpts.

I also know that for a back side free form lens you need to add Far and near plus an extra margin in orden to avoid a completely flat near portion .

So if the above analisys is correct the highest power that can be reached is +12.00 Dpts summing up far + near + extra margin.

example +7.50 Add +3.00

please advice.
    Last edited by Tito; 09-15-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    On Younger web page under Camber lens technical specifications the highest base curve in 1.67 index is an 8 base ,with an actual surface convertion power it gives you 9.98Dpts .I understand that this would be within the central portion of the lens and that you have 2 Dpts extra down below,that's almost 12.00 Dpts.

I also know that for a back side free form lens you need to add Far and near plus an extra margin in orden to avoid a completely flat near portion .

So if the above analisys is correct the highest power that can be reached is +12.00 Dpts summing up far + near + extra margin.

example +7.50 Add +3.00

please advice.
    I would have to run a test calculaton to confirm this, but I believe you are correct. I am going to run some tests and I will get back with you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone using this lens?

Thread Information