Thread: Varilux Physio vs. Ellipse

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Varilux Physio vs. Ellipse

Good morning. I have a patient that is having trouble adapting to a new progressive with no significant change in rx or measurements. The only major difference I can find is that we have her in a Varilux Physio now, and her previous pair was a Varilux Ellipse. I am not particularly familiar with the Ellipse lens. Can anyone explain to me the primary differences between the two? I do not believe my employer has the Ellipse as an option. If not, can you recommend a similar or better lens design? Thanks!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I realize I should have specified what sort of problems she was having with adaptation. Her biggest issue is peripheral distortion at distance and a lack of clarity on center, also at distance. She has no complaints about near vision.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ellipse is an older relatively hard (for Varilux) short corridor, though it is still available. Try the Comfort Short, it's a more classic design than the sometimes fuzzy soft Physio design. Wouldn't be the first time clearing up DV issues by going to older harder designs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    What is her lifestyle, power, add? both before and after? Its far better to choose a lens based on what you really need, than choosing one based on what a patient has worn in the past.

Lens selection is a lot like golf. Say I make a tee-shot that lands on the green! (yea, that will never really happen but bear with me). I used a number 3 driver on that great shot, and I am only 10 feet from the hole. now do I pull out a 3 iron because it was close to the club I was just using? No! I use a putter because its the best club for THAT shot.

Always use the best club for the shot you are taking now, regardless of what shot you took a moment ago.
    Last edited by sharpstick777; 07-16-2014 at 01:23 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would try the older version of definity., owned now by essilor... excellent side to side distance, very wide intermendiate and wider near , all vastly superior than the physio in my humble opinion, and relative in cost. The only reason I revert to physio is if the desired rx is unavailable in definity. I love the new def. 3, but the extra cost could be a consideration... and since they are owned by the same essilor company, same rep, same lab, same excellent quality end product. Comfort short, while a good idea, falls short on the clarity left to right in my opinion. personally tried all mentioned.

Thread Information