Thread: Florida licensing questions.

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Florida licensing questions.

Hi,

There is a *very* strong chance that I will be moving to Florida in the near future. Currently, I live in Chicago. I am aware that Florida is a licensed state. I have my abo and am studying for my ncle ( from what I read, both are required before sitting for the licensing test).

What I am wondering is if a license is required to be an optician, or if I can work as non-licensed until I do sit for/pass the test.

Thank you,

Alteaon

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trying to fill you in how things are here in Florida. We do not have unlicensed Opticians down here. The only ones that can hold themselves out to the patients/customers/consumer call them what you want. Florida tends to get a little upset and can make things difficult for you if you do otherwise. But you MUST have a Florida State License to call yourself a Optician. Until then you just work in the optical field.
    Bet yes you can very well work as a apprentice Optician or finish school and sit for your boards. We open our arms to any and all who wish to work in the optical industry.
    So many in this business want to address us as a "licensed Optician" or a "unlicensed Optician". Have you ever gone to see a "Doctor" or a "unlicensed Doctor"? understand what I am saying?
    Welcome to Florida

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    +1 to what CCGREEN said. To get in the door you need both ABO and NCLE and have either completed an AS in Opticianry or registered as an apprentice and complete 6245 hours of work under a sponsor optician, optometrist or ophthalmologist. If you are going the apprenticeship route you must complete a "sponsor/apprentice orientation" class within one year of registering for apprenticeship.

Welcome to the 4th largest in population state in the country.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An AS degree or apprenticing are not absolutely necessary to become licensed in Florida. If you have actively practiced Opticianry for five of the last seven years in an unlicensed state, such as Illinois, plus have passed the NOCE and CLRE, you are eligible to take Florida's licensure exam.

Thread Information