Thread: The "NEW" VSP...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The "NEW" VSP...

How many of you have seen the new frame calculator from VSP?

Take the difference between the retail and the allowance for the overage...no problem there...but then take a 20% discount off the overage and this is now the patient's out of pocket expense for the frame.

Criminy, it seems that you are better off offering a general 20% discount to everyone and dropping VSP altogether.

Your opinions, please.

Thanks!

Bob V.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 02-15-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you are always better dropping VSP.

If the OD's could get out of the fear mode and drop VSP, we could get some attention from that group of dictators.

Most OD's in the US have state laws that prevent an unlicensed person from influencing their practice of optometry or controling their professional judgment and then they invite VSP to dictate many things in their practices. Professionalism and education still seems to be clouded by money or the fear of losing market share.

Hmmmm!

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 02-15-2007 at 09:31 PM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm an OD that takes VSP.

With every "improvement" I go in kicking and screaming and threatening to drop VSP.

Then a few months down the road I realize this improvement really is better.

So, I have a wait and see attitude towards this new frame thing.

Also, about VSP, it brings in a higher class of patient in my area. Usually high tech, high end retail, or a banker, well educated, intelligent, and working for one of the better companies. Rarely do they want just what is covered, they usually upgrade to progressives, A/R, scratch coat etc. Most have yearly exams but frames every other year, so they often buy that second pair of specs. And the no show rate is about 1% for appts.

VSP is a bit daunting in administration, but it brings the type of patient I would like in my office, and has never stiffed me on a patient they said was covered. That's the only insurance I can say that about.

Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question vsp

Harry, know what you mean, but has it not occurred to you that they would come in anyway, also i have to question the intelligence of people who pay x amount of dollars every week towards there eyeglass plan and then think they are saving money? very rarely, there are no free lunches Harry.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Re: vsp

harry a saake said:
    Harry, know what you mean, but has it not occurred to you that they would come in anyway, also i have to question the intelligence of people who pay x amount of dollars every week towards there eyeglass plan and then think they are saving money? very rarely, there are no free lunches Harry.

Harry,

Great observations, But...

Many of my VSP are from much farther away than my usual patient. The VSP website lists providers by town, and I am in a remote corner (on a long street associated with the other end of town), better than 50% of my VSP are from areas I normally don't draw from. Surprised me.

And most only seem to pay a portion of the VSP premium, so they know money is not being saved, but the employer is paying.

Harry (there do seem to be a lot of us with that name on this list)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Homer said:
    Most OD's in the US have state laws that prevent an unlicensed person from influencing their practice of optometry or controling their professional judgment and then they invite VSP to dictate many things in their practices.

Hmmmm!
    Great thought.

VSP has pushed optometry and ophthalmology into administrative areas that they otherwise would have avoided for years. Perhaps some of the changes will become the standard of care someday (but when?). They are the giant tail wagging the dog(s), and we have a choice of voicing our concerns (which are occasionally addressed) or cutting off our tail. These are not times to be de-tailed <g>. VSP is a driving force in electronc claims which may force many of us into this mode of claims submission.

OTOH, can someone explain the benefit of EyeMed? With VSP, there are two parties getting some mutual benefits. I haven't been able to see the receprocity with EyeMed.

I've seen VSP help a young O.D. with no patient base get started quickly, but that is about the only time I would ever advise a client to join the program. Five of my clients have dropped VSP and two more will do so at the end of this month. the first client did so almost two years ago. We developed a strategic plan with many what if scenarios. In the first year he reduced the number of exams by 10%, increased his profit by 15% and took one more week vacation.

If you are drawing in patients from areas you normally wouldn't then please as yourself a few questions. Are these profitable patients, What would it cost me to get these patients in on my own and are they only coming to me because I'm on this list of providers. I don't know the details of your practice, but I am sure you have a great staff, are up to date on all the new products, have a professional attitude and make the patients feel comfortable.

How much of your gross revenues do you budget for marketing vs. how much you give up to VSP? Once you get these patients in are they buying multiple pairs such as polarized sunwear or variable focus lenses? Run some numbers and find out how much you really profit from VSP. I think you might be surprised or maybe I might.

Enough for now. Enjoyed the topic.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Foveator said:

OTOH, can someone explain the benefit of EyeMed? With VSP, there are two parties getting some mutual benefits. I haven't been able to see the receprocity with EyeMed.
    Don't quote me on this one but the person that handles our insurance says that EyeMed has higher reimbursements. I do know that we don't make that much of a profit with VSP.

Thread Information