Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lab Errors

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

lab Errors

What is the dumest lab error that your lab has made?
    Are lab just made there's today on a pair of u-cut they said that they had the pt pd at 19 really how has a 19 pd .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    A PD like that should have triggered every alarm except for the fire warning system in the lab...or at a minimum call for verification. How was the order submitted? My lab does a significant amount of specialty glasses for a pediatric practice so 19 mono PD is not that uncommon provided it is ordered with a small frame such as a MiraFlex 37 eye. If your order was for a standard Rx in an average eye..the lab must have ground an excessive amount of prism for decentration. Thanks for sharing this and look forward to other responses...I can't imagine what has "slipped" by final inspection. I'll keep my errors a secret for now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hmmm lesse, one lens transition the other not, upside down progressives, plusses for minuses, the wrong shaped lens but only in one eye?! who does that?!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    What is the dumest lab error that your lab has made?
    Are lab just made there's today...............
    Easy there Dave E,
    We are sure you mean, Our lab...... not "Are lab"...........
    And "dumest". Use a b in dumbest.
    Trust me I am the worlds worst speller and will admit it. (love spell check) Just saying though, If your going to slam the lab its best to look your smartest while doing it.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by PRECISIONLAB View Post
    A PD like that should have triggered every alarm except for the fire warning system in the lab...or at a minimum call for verification. How was the order submitted? My lab does a significant amount of specialty glasses for a pediatric practice so 19 mono PD is not that uncommon provided it is ordered with a small frame such as a MiraFlex 37 eye. If your order was for a standard Rx in an average eye..the lab must have ground an excessive amount of prism for decentration. Thanks for sharing this and look forward to other responses...I can't imagine what has "slipped" by final inspection. I'll keep my errors a secret for now.
    The order was faxed. Here is the rx OD 1.75 -1.25 003 OS 3.00 -5.00 002 PD 33 AND 31.5 FRAME RX5277 54,31,17 57.7

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kudos to Precision lab for even being able to interpret that question in order to be able to answer it!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Easy there Dave E,
    We are sure you mean, Our lab...... not "Are lab"...........
    And "dumest". Use a b in dumbest.
    Trust me I am the worlds worst speller and will admit it. (love spell check) Just saying though, If your going to slam the lab its best to look your smartest while doing it.
    Thanks for pointing that out and yes spelling is not my strong point. I have tried the spell check and for what ever reason I can not get it to work.
    I was not trying to slaming the lab we all make mistakes and I thought it was funny. Here is my lab errors when I first started cutting I cut a pal upside down 1st week on the job ( never had work in the field so I had a lot to learn )
    What was your biggest mistake?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now the view from the other end of the fax machine...Attachment 11093

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Now the view from the other end of the fax machine...Attachment 11093
    Our faxes come from are EHR so they can read them. If it looked like yours I would hope they would call.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, we called the account for the correct information.

I got a call from the "optician" who was irate that we couldn't interpret the order, and I apologized for our shortcomings. I asked for a copy of the order for my files and this is it.

C'est la vie!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    What is the dum[b]est lab error that your lab has made?
    Davis Vision has sent me lenses for the completely wrong patient on at least three occasions, and once sent me an empty box.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @ Dave..........my biggest mistake is to make ANY mistake. Long as I been at this I know better. Even though I am human and I can and do make them I am my own worst and biggest critic.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yup, we all make them. We hate to admit it, but we do. All that's left is to learn and try not to do it again.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Remember the big, clear, square stickers AO had to put on frames to mark PD and seg height location. We once had a customer use these. After marking the spot they peeled them off the frame and stuck them to the written Rx.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not really a lab error but we had an optician order a pair of glasses once with one lens +6 and the other a -6 (both should have been -6). I would think something like that would cause the lab to call but they made it. Really funny looking pair of glasses.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    We ordered +3.75 OU . Received +0.50 OU - Also have been getting FT segs with a 1mm diff. in height . Even though it's within tolerance it doesn't look good .

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSore View Post
    We ordered +3.75 OU . Received +0.50 OU - Also have been getting FT segs with a 1mm diff. in height . Even though it's within tolerance it doesn't look good .
    Welcome to the new age in the optical industry.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Davis Vision has sent me lenses for the completely wrong patient on at least three occasions, and once sent me an empty box.
    gotta love davis!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use a computer program to order from the labs and once in a while numbers get put into the wrong box but in my opinion a seg ht of 33OU and a PD of 20OU should have rang someone's bell over there but no that is exactly how they were made.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Labs are factories. They are largely populated with people answering want ads, not seasoned opticians. Every one has a few key people who really know their stuff but otherwise it's just people trained to operate machinery. It's always strange to see people order things wrong and then marvel that they got what they ordered.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I realize that many people working at the labs are not actually opticians but the procees of making a pair of glasses means that the job passes through many hands and at the end there is a final inspection. Surely at some point along the way someone might just notice an ordering error that obvious. Truth be told...judging by what I have received I am pretty sure there is no final inspection but the one time I sent something back with a note saying as much I was told by the boss that I was rude. No..what is rude is sending out glasses that are clearly wrong and then creating a further delay for the customer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, just to add to the fun, when I was learning how to play in the sandbox at lenscrafters (some of the LC alumnus may remember) we had spiffs in the lab depending on breakage and other factors. Anywho, my lab manager was ..... just terrible and didnt train the lab staff. What?! I know....crazy right? Unheard of you might say! It's true, we, the lab staff, learned by mistakes made and not by training. End result? A job white COVERED in single vision lens tags. So...what 17 lenses crushed? 20? needles to say, no one in the lab got spiffs that week and there was almost a blanket party starring a sock full of metal blocks and laps with my name on it.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Keep in mind that even the final inspectors at labs are likely people who have never dispensed. What occurs to you and I as obvious is not so much to a vertometer operator.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have even seen the attitude of managers thinking "We already cut the lenses, it was their mistake. Send it. We did as we were ordered to do..Maybe they will learn to double check THEIR work." (Their meaning the office/optician...)
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At some point in the "chain of custody", we need to admit that no one of us is perfect. Except me...I'm perfect. My grandson said so.

Thread Information