Thread: Need Advice

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Need Advice

Hi Everyone, my name is Andy and I have lurked here for a while, but now I need help. My Doctor has asked us to find new alternatives to Essilor since they are now directly competing with us via the internet and other things. We are looking at having a few labs to provide us different things. Our demo is varied from Medicaid work to drill mounts, and we would like to have lenses that are the newest technology. Im new to my position and I need advice, Ive read about IOT, Augen, ProFit, and the other branded lenses, I guess Im curious about which will give me a wide range of choices and not compete with us at the same time. Oh and we also want to avoid lenses being sold at the big box stores since its easy for them to take our patients once we sell them, they can sell them the same thing. Any help would be appreciated, I need to have a list by Monday.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Rochester Optical is a wholesale lab that offers Hoya, Seiko, and Shamir designs. These are three outstanding lens companies that are better than Essilor IMO. Rochester Optical also has a freeform house brand they call RO Digital (possibly an IOT design?). I have no personal knowledge about the quality of work they do, but they do carry excellent brands, and do not appear to carry Essilor.
    www.rochesteroptical.com

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    GSRX in Scottsdale AZ has amazing prices and their own house brand digital. Otherwise I like to use a lab that offers Shamir products, they are excellent and top tier if you are looking to provide the "best". I use VSP San Diego for my Shamir stuff.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here's to you and your doctor.
    Hoya and Zeiss both have great products. All lens materials, many designs and price points.
    Really, this is not very difficult.
    As far as breaking bad habits goes, this should be the easiest and its painless.
    Drop the cartel.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwmack View Post
    GSRX in Scottsdale AZ has amazing prices and their own house brand digital. Otherwise I like to use a lab that offers Shamir products, they are excellent and top tier if you are looking to provide the "best". I use VSP San Diego for my Shamir stuff.
    Based on the information he supplied, it looks like Grossman86 is in Rochester NY, which is why I suggested he look at Rochester Optical. I realize that one can do business with any optical lab, but there is some advantage to using one relatively close by.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwmack View Post

Kust to let you know............Shamir is a full member of the Essilor heaven.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Kust to let you know............Shamir is a full member of the Essilor heaven.
    In 2010 Essilor acquired 50% of Shamir. Not sure if they have increased their stake in the company since then.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    they have not (just saw the shamir rep last week) but they still own a big stake so if you're trying to stick it to the man thats not the way to do it!!

Hoya is very vocal/active about not going online. they have great reps/customer service, and from what i understand their product has greatly improved. we are going to look into switching to them once i get my office fully staffed again (speaking of which, anyone want a job in bangor me???) They will also let you have some people in the office try their progressives and stuff to let you get a feel for the product. at least my area reps offered to do that.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    they have not (just saw the shamir rep last week) but they still own a big stake so if you're trying to stick it to the man thats not the way to do it!!

Hoya is very vocal/active about not going online. they have great reps/customer service, and from what i understand their product has greatly improved. we are going to look into switching to them once i get my office fully staffed again (speaking of which, anyone want a job in bangor me???) They will also let you have some people in the office try their progressives and stuff to let you get a feel for the product. at least my area reps offered to do that.
    Or, you could use an independent lab with great reps who allow you to try products.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Or, you could use an independent lab with great reps who allow you to try products.
    +1

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    US Optical down the road from you in E Syracuse is a family owned lab with NO retail locations to compete with you. We offer every brand you need in 24-48 hours
    Money carefully refunded

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Both US Optical and Luzerne have met my needs for a while now. They both have great proprietary lenses that are a great price point and perform beautifully. I am having a huge amount of success with US Optical's Wrap HD for SV and PALs. They make some of the best sunglasses I've ever had the pleasure to dispense.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    i do well with Nikon as my essilor alternative and do like the lenses. However I have trouble with the whole walmart link and Nikon even thought they are essilor lenses at walmart.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nikon USA is owned by Nikon-Essilor Co. Ltd., which is 50% owned by Essilor. The Nikon lenses sold in the USA, as of last year, are probably Accolade and Accolade Freedom.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Nikon USA is owned by Nikon-Essilor Co. Ltd., which is 50% owned by Essilor. The Nikon lenses sold in the USA, as of last year, are probably Accolade and Accolade Freedom.
    I would think you are 100% correct Robert. When I last worked at WM in April 2012, that's what they were.
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    They are independent of each other ownership wise. When Nikon first got in the market they did some partnership with essilor. The walmart Nikon essilor brand is a left over from that partnership. kind of hurts nikon

Thread Information