Thread: Trivex alternative for drilled rimless?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Trivex alternative for drilled rimless?

Have a patient who wants to try the new graphite green transitions. He's a current trivex wearer, and wants the lenses in a drilled rimless. Naturally, the GG is only available in poly, CR, and 1.67. The patient's an office drone, but he's also an engineer, and has a constant paranoia about sustaining eye damage. So, the question is: What's the best trivex alternative, from all angles? My instinct says poly, but I'm worried that he'll notice an acuity difference moving away from Trivex. To keep clarity I want to go 1.67, but then I'm concerned about safety issues and what I'll say if (when, really) he asks if they're impact resistant.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    He will have to come to terms with his own choices. If he wants to try the new lens there will have to be some life altering decisions to make. 1.67 is not a safety lens. The psysicalities (spelling?) of the lens don't allow it to be saftey material. Tensile strength and thickness are out the window. Depending on the RX he may or may not notice the chromatic aberration in a poly lens. The higher the RX the more chance he'll see that "aura" of yellow or blue around stuff. Technical, engineering, detail oriented, OCD, and plainly speaking, anal people are the first to notice that. Manage his expectations if he wants to try the green Transition and he should be fine with it. Be brave! As long as he knows what to expect and you are upfront about the information he should be able to make an educated adult decision about his eyewear choices.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    MANAGE HIS EXPECTATIONS. Tell him everything there is to know about his lens options and their pluses and minuses and let him decide.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Poly will do just fine in the +/- 3.00 range!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mshimp View Post
    Poly will do just fine in the +/- 3.00 range!
    Sorry, should've specified an RX:

-2.25 -0.50 149
    -2.00 -0.50 60

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    MANAGE HIS EXPECTATIONS. Tell him everything there is to know about his lens options and their pluses and minuses and let him decide.
    This X5 if he is an engineer.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Have a patient who wants to try the new graphite green transitions. He's a current trivex wearer, and wants the lenses in a drilled rimless. Naturally, the GG is only available in poly, CR, and 1.67. The patient's an office drone, but he's also an engineer, and has a constant paranoia about sustaining eye damage. So, the question is: What's the best trivex alternative, from all angles? My instinct says poly, but I'm worried that he'll notice an acuity difference moving away from Trivex. To keep clarity I want to go 1.67, but then I'm concerned about safety issues and what I'll say if (when, really) he asks if they're impact resistant.
    Poly and 1.67 have the same abbe value, the difference will be thickness to impact resistance. In his Rx go poly and seal the drill holes with a chemical sealant.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've seen more issues related to poly than 1.67 with drill work. True, poly will cost less but there is more value in a lens material when the patient doesn't have to keep bringing his eyewear back due to stress/cracking that is more prevalent with poly. Of coarse if you have doubt ask your lab which material they prefer drilling.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would suggest that drilling holes through any material inherently weakens it structurally, and therefore impact resistance may well be compromised. If safety is paramount..... and could be...... if this person spends time in a hard-hat zone, then a safety frame, lens, and sideshields are advisable if not mandatory in some countries.

In this instance probably poly with drill sealed holes. He would probably do best with a decent Ar coating for good optics. I would inform him of the different optical characteristics of poly in advance. He might find that acceptable.
    Eyes wide open

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The optical quality of poly and 1.67 is very close. If he wants a very impact resistant lens I suggest going with poly and I would not mention anything negative about the optical quality. Millions of people including me wear poly lenses and see perfectly fine out of it.
    Last edited by Happylady; 06-21-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    1.67 is much heavier and more prone to break than poly. The optics are very comparable as mentioned by Happylady.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    So I would explain to the engineer that TRIVEX is the optimal material for rimless. You want transitions green? Get out of rimless. You want rimless? Takes your chances with poly or 1.67. Trivex has higher abbe. Better optics. Unbreakable. But its gonna be brown or grey.
    I would rather talk him out the green transitions with a simple explanation - which seems better than dealing with stress cracking or breakage 8 months from now. JMHO.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    So I would explain to the engineer that TRIVEX is the optimal material for rimless. You want transitions green? Get out of rimless. You want rimless? Takes your chances with poly or 1.67. Trivex has higher abbe. Better optics. Unbreakable. But its gonna be brown or grey.
    I would rather talk him out the green transitions with a simple explanation - which seems better than dealing with stress cracking or breakage 8 months from now. JMHO.
    +1

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input; I've taken optimensch's advice to heart and gotten him to go Trans Brown so he can keep with trivex, and wait until next year to see if green becomes available in the interim.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Vision Ease recommends to seal the drillholes in Poly ...............................

Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post

In this instance probably poly with drill sealed holes. He would probably do best with a decent Ar coating for good optics. I would inform him of the different optical characteristics of poly in advance. He might find that acceptable.
    Vision Ease recommends to seal the drillholes in Poly lenses that contain rips from the drills and are the source for stress cracks from there. One drop of "OMS Drillseal" into each hole solves the whole problem.

TECHNICAL TIP: POLYCARBONATE LENS DRILLING FOR RIMLESS MOUNTS
    ------> http://www.vision-ease.com/Portals/V...lessMounts.pdf

By going this way you eliminate stress cracks on rimless frames and still have the safety factor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'd tell him if he wants Trivex the best option for him would be a pair of TRVX rimless sunglasses tinted G15. He gets the material he wants in the color he is looking for.

Option #2
    Take one of his TRVX rimless frames and get a G15 Chem Clip on it
    Last edited by David_Garza; 06-21-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I think rodenstock do a trivex photochromic in green...

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just got my Transition green sample and it's really a nice color. It looks just like the Ray Ban G-15 when fully dark but isn't a weird color when not fully dark, it still looks nice. It is supposed to offer very natural color perception like the gray but the higher contrast benefit like the brown.

Since its it's an Essilor only product I wouldn't hold my breath on it coming out in Trivex anytime soon.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    He will have to come to terms with his own choices. If he wants to try the new lens there will have to be some life altering decisions to make. .
    Sounds like me. Also the doctor I used to work with as he told the patient that he had to make some life alternating decisions of affording cigarettes vs Glaucoma medication to save his only viable eye.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Intelligent Interplay of Colours ................................

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post

I think rodenstock do a trivex photochromic in green...

Intelligent Interplay of Colours

At 8%, ColorMatic IQ® lenses have a low amount of basic absorption. To end customers, this means very light lenses that are very clear indoors. Natural colour perception is guaranteed by colour blends that are physiologically adapted to the eye. Rodenstock has recomposed the colours using modern dyes and that way created the most attractive ones in the market.

ColorMatic IQ® lenses achieve absorption of up to 85%. In brown, they increase the contrast when in a darkened state. Grey lenses have a more neutral and balanced effect. Due to uniform filtering of the entire light spectrum, they guarantee neutral colour reproduction in all colour variations. ColorMatic® IQ in green is a unique feature, since it is a colour that is exclusively available in photochromatic lenses from Rodenstock.

Furthermore, ColorMatic IQ® is available in the ColorMatic IQ® Contrast variation in orange and green as intelligent sun protection and an ideal companion for outdoor activities.

see at: -------> http://www.rodenstock.com/rodb2c/com...atic%20IQ.html

Thread Information