Thread: IOT designs and how many do labs use

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

IOT designs and how many do labs use

I was looking at the pdf's on IOT's website and asking a lab which one they use. Apparently that lab picked the one they thought would work best for their house brand. This lab has a basic, pro and a drp lens but IOT has a lot of different PAL lens designs. Do labs just pick a few designs because they would get charged more if they picked all the designs that IOT offers?

The reason I ask is I'd like to try a certain IOT design but the lab doesn't offer it and I'd hate to call every lab I can think of and have every lab person figure out which one they use.

Thanks!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It's not necessarily about the cost involved, but also about what they want to support or what their lab software has enabled. Some labs may just want to have one good all-around lens, where others may want to give the options to the ECP of picking the lens they think is best for a specific patient. Some lab software may also not have certain designs added, and without demand for it, nobody ever bothered to add it. You could always ask your lab if they're able to add it for you, and see if there's a reason they can or can't do it.

That said, we do have all of the IOT designs available in both plastic and glass, so I can probably help if you've got a specific lens you're looking to try out.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks to all who responded. I have Varilux S lenses and not exactly ecstatic about it's price for private pays or (a lot of the other "premium" brands). Finding out about IOT here has helped me understand that a house brand is a good thing for my patients.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Userod, if there is anything I can answer for you let me know, Im the guy for IOT here in the US. For starters which design were you interested in?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperoptic View Post
    Userod, if there is anything I can answer for you let me know, Im the guy for IOT here in the US. For starters which design were you interested in?
    Do you have a cross-reference that maps IOT designs to specific major brand designs?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you work for them?
    I use them 100% but have no reps or folks to help us get new products.
    Are you that person?

Occupation
    m0002a, Unfortunately we don't really have a cross reference guide for our designs in comparison to others, while all PALs are similar, they are all also designed differently, in the case of IOT our lenses are designed to ether maximize the the distance, the reading, or be a balanced design. There is a lot of misconception that we simply duplicate previously designed lenses, but we are actually starting with the concept of which field is most important.

@Craig, yes I do work for IOT, I'm our National Sales Manager. My email address is kgardner@iotamerica.com. Please send me an email with the name of your lab and your contact details so I can reach out privately. If you are not the lab directly, please tell me which lab you use so I can coordinate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    m0002a, Unfortunately we don't really have a cross reference guide for our designs in comparison to others, while all PALs are similar, they are all also designed differently, in the case of IOT our lenses are designed to ether maximize the the distance, the reading, or be a balanced design. There is a lot of misconception that we simply duplicate previously designed lenses, but we are actually starting with the concept of which field is most important.
    In looking at your website, your digital Alpha Series lenses have 5 different designs, so was just curious why there were so many and if they were targeted against certain competition. I think many people find the plethora of Essilor/Varilux lens designs very confusing.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    In looking at your website, your digital Alpha Series lenses have 5 different designs, so was just curious why there were so many and if they were targeted against certain competition. I think many people find the plethora of Essilor/Varilux lens designs very confusing.
    We have quite a few designs, but we have to remember that not everyone has the same needs on a daily basis from their PAL. I use the example of a OTR truck driver living in Kansas, and the Librarian living in Manhattan, The Truck driver spends most of their time driving, so distance clarity and field is paramount for their daily needs, on the other hand the Librarian spends the majority of their day utilizing the near visual field and the distance field is less important, could ether the Trucker or the Librarian use ether design, of course, but can we provide more custom and complete service by making sure the design matches the demographic of the wearer? I would argue yes. Now for most people we offer a balanced design (H45, S45) those designs are balanced, providing excellent vision in all fields. We offer a new wearer design which was developed to provide good vision all while preparing the wearer for higher Rx's and harder designs. Of course the easiest office lens to fit, and Single Vision.

IOT also offers others, which arent cataloged, and exclusive design services to our labs to make sure they can meet their customers needs the best way they can, by giving the customer exactly the performance they want.

Also not all labs use all the designs, so don't look at these long lists and worry about keeping it all straight, your lab will help guide you through the selection to make sure you are fitting the right thing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    We have quite a few designs, but we have to remember that not everyone has the same needs on a daily basis from their PAL. I use the example of a OTR truck driver living in Kansas, and the Librarian living in Manhattan, The Truck driver spends most of their time driving, so distance clarity and field is paramount for their daily needs, on the other hand the Librarian spends the majority of their day utilizing the near visual field and the distance field is less important, could ether the Trucker or the Librarian use ether design, of course, but can we provide more custom and complete service by making sure the design matches the demographic of the wearer? I would argue yes.
    Yes, I am aware of the need for multiple progressive designs. But among the 5 freeform designs you document on your website (not including custom ones that can be configured according to what you said) there are:
    • One soft design (S45)
    • One ultra-short hard design, MFH 10mm
    • Three hard designs, all with FH between 14 and 20 (H20, H45, H65)

But it is not clear what the difference is between the last three hard designs. In that sense, I think your website documentation is lacking, and reminds me a lot of Essilor/Varilux where very few people really understand the difference between their many different designs.

That other thing I don't understand is that two of the hard designs H20 and H45 are rated (by IOT website) to have better intermediate performance than your S45 soft design, even though all have the same fitting heights available (14-20).
    http://www.iot.es/alphaseries.html

I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with your designs. Maybe you just have a bunch of former Essilor employees in your marketing department.
    Last edited by m0002a; 06-21-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Occupation
    Thanks for the feedback I'll pass it along to the marketing department. I would hope that your laboratory of choice is also providing you with Materials about their designs. If not please let me know who your lab is so we can get them the materials for their designs. It's also important to know that the information on our website is global and we offer our designs here a little differently with more infornation. PM me your email and I can send over the American materials.

Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear the newer IOT design that a lot of labs refer to as the "Ultimate" for my sunwear. Rx is OD -7.00 -1.25 x027, OS -6.25 -2.75 x177, +1.25 Add. They are 3.00 BC lenses edged into a 7.50 BC frame. Compensated Rx. I see great out of them. No swim, sway, movement, etc. Just a little testimonial there.
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Thread Information