Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Essilor can't repair my 25 year old pupilometer (made in France)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Barry

What is "a valid corneal reflex measurement'? We know what a reflex measurement is but what is a "valid" one? Then I have to ask you what makes it valid or non valid?
    Sorry, just asking.
    Optimensch intuited what I was after. WE all "assume" that a cornel reflex measurement represents where the eye is looking, i.e., the "visual axis." But there are studies out that show that this can be a flawed assumption.

What we really want is exactly where the wearer is looking, adjusted for the plane /VD of the fitted lenses, and encompassing as DV prismatic effects, if present.

At the present time, the ONLY way is to use the Feinbloom method, a completely subjective approach. Perhaps soon in the future, we will have instrumentation or even an app that could result in better and more representative measurement values.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Woe is me! I got the new pd scope from Essilor and guess what--it rattles! I called and was told that "all the new ones do that and it's not a problem." But the reason I got a new one was that my old one had something that had come loose and rattled. I'm so annoyed! My old one measures perfectly, it was just the rattle that I wanted fixed.

I don't want to be a jerk about this, but I think I'm going to return the new one.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The end of the saga: The great Harry Chilling came to my shop yesterday (with his lovely wife). It took him all of 25 minutes to open the pd scope, remove the loose pieces and put it back together--that's a pro at work! Three cheers for Harry!

As for the $50 one I bought on ebay, I've contacted the seller and asked for a refund. If that fails, I'll contact ebay about their buyer protection plan.

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by VHB View Post
    The end of the saga: The great Harry Chilling came to my shop yesterday (with his lovely wife). It took him all of 25 minutes to open the pd scope, remove the loose pieces and put it back together--that's a pro at work! Three cheers for Harry!

As for the $50 one I bought on ebay, I've contacted the seller and asked for a refund. If that fails, I'll contact ebay about their buyer protection plan.

Thanks for everyone's help on this!
    Me and my wife were recreating our first date on the billy goat trail, and stopping in Georgetown for dinner and a drink, stop by your place was like dessert. Virginia always a pleasure and I wish I was headed straight home I would have grabbed another clipping from your rose bush.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And the seller on ebay has agreed to refund my $50!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was premature in saying that this had a happy ending! Yes, the ebay vendor did refund my $50, so that's good. BUT my expensive new Essilor pd scope has a loose piece of metal inside! I had complained about something rattling inside when I got it and was assured that it was just the on/off switch and that all of them make that noise. Last weekend, however, I could see a thin piece of metal lodged against one window on the viewer's end.

Just called and asked for a new one and was told that Essilor's policy is to repair it, not replace it. Even though I've had it only a few weeks, and it had this flaw when I got it.

I'm not a happy customer, that's for sure!

Thread Information