Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essilor can't repair my 25 year old pupilometer (made in France)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Essilor can't repair my 25 year old pupilometer (made in France)

They want $460 for a new one (made in China), but the loaner they sent feels really cheap. Has anyone tried the one from GadgetWorkz? I found it online at Amazon for $220. It looks just like an Essilor one so I'm wondering if it's a generic made at the same factory in China.

Also, can anyone repair my old one? A piece of metal that holds the headrest has come loose and rattles around inside, sometimes preventing me from moving the aligning thumb pieces. I know I'll have to buy a new one, but it would be nice to have my old one for back up.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    look in thread "pupilometer repair" Essilor lab in the midwest fixes and sells used ones.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you've got no hope of repairing it, or getting someone to, why not bite the bullet and open it up?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry888: The Essilor lab in the midwest was where I sent it. They returned it saying they couldn't get parts for it and that I should buy a new one.

standarduck: I've tried opening it, but can't figure out how to get it open. I unscrewed a small screw in the battery housing, but that didn't loosen anything. I also tried prying it apart, but just chipped the plastic housing.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a question regarding pupilometers. The instruments read out in 0.50 mm increments. What manufacturer claims their product isactually capable of measuring a PD at this level of accuracy? I’ve repeatedly asked Essilor and have neverreceived an answer.

Thanks

Roy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @ Roy. I have asked kinda the same questions about surfacing lenses to within 001.895 thsss (foolishness) of a diopter. Now really, how many people out there really really can their eye really perceive it? In my 32 years of doing this I might be able to count on one hand someone who might be able to pick up on it.
    And then the lab sends the job to me and I look at it using a 30 year old manual Marco lensometer. (technology of yester year)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by VHB View Post
    Harry888: The Essilor lab in the midwest was where I sent it. They returned it saying they couldn't get parts for it and that I should buy a new one.

standarduck: I've tried opening it, but can't figure out how to get it open. I unscrewed a small screw in the battery housing, but that didn't loosen anything. I also tried prying it apart, but just chipped the plastic housing.
    There are 3 screws holding the two halves of housing together.....they(2)reside under the small round circular trims on the patient end of the unit, dial side. The other screw lives under the rectangular, oval ended plaque at the dispenser end. They(trims) are glued in place, simply pry them out carefully.
    Last edited by uncut; 06-20-2014 at 06:45 AM.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy R. Ferguson View Post
    I have a question regarding pupilometers. The instruments read out in 0.50 mm increments. What manufacturer claims their product isactually capable of measuring a PD at this level of accuracy? I’ve repeatedly asked Essilor and have neverreceived an answer.

Thanks

Roy

Studies have been done, I believe, that show that Essilor pupilometers, in trained hands, can obtain a valid corneal reflex measurement to within a mm. The real question is: is this the measurement you are supposed to be seeking?

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Studies have been done, I believe, that show that Essilor pupilometers, in trained hands, can obtain a valid corneal reflex measurement to within a mm. The real question is: is this the measurement you are supposed to be seeking?

B
    That is a really good point. I think the corneal reflex is not the answer in many cases.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you sure, uncut? I tried to pry up one of the bumps "(round circular trim") and got nowhere. I then got out my Dremel tool and tried grinding down one of the bumps. I'm a couple of mm below the surface of the housing and see nothing but tan plastic--definitely no sign of a screw. Should I keep grinding?

I just bought a Chinese "Essilor-style" pd scope on ebay for $50 and will report on its quality when I get it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

B
    I’ve located two studies. One states; “Measurements of repeatability using the 95% LoA for the examiner are -0.79 to + 0.73 mm for the pupilometer.” The other: “The average error in mean value of the measurements (with reflection pupilometers) for all PD’s was 2.3 mm.”

I can’t find a study that suggests these instruments arecapable of measurements in the 0.50 mm range.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you sure, uncut? I tried to pry up one of the bumps "(round circular trim") and got nowhere. I then got out my Dremel tool and tried grinding down one of the bumps. I'm a couple of mm below the surface of the housing and see nothing but tan plastic--definitely no sign of a screw. Should I keep grinding?
    VHB, flip the pupilometer over and pry off the 2 circular and 1 oval tabs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pupilometer.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	11086

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I just bought a Chinese "Essilor-style" pd scope on ebay for $50 and will report on its quality when I get it.
    The "bumps may mean you are on the wrong side of the unit....KyleW has the proper location of the screw heads circled on his post #12!
    Before you pry it apart, you may have to remove either the dial knob or the flipper, before it is completely apart. Look for a retaining set-screw, which might be a Allen screw. It will become apparent which one needs to be removed, as you advance. Keep us posted, and yes, stop drilling!!!!
    Thanks for posting the pic, Kyle!

VHB, I think everyone following this discussion would like to hear about your purchase.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Buying a cheap pupilometer is one of the most expensive savings tips you will ever make, its dropping a dollar to pick up a penny. I took over a huge practice with an enormous 34% redo rate. Half of that was the crappy pupilometers they were using, they were losing $2k a day in redos, so $5k for 10 pupilometers would have paid for itself in only 5 days. (yea, we had 10 pupilometers).

They want $460 for a new one (made in China), but the loaner they sent feels really cheap. Has anyone tried the one from GadgetWorkz? I found it online at Amazon for $220. It looks just like an Essilor one so I'm wondering if it's a generic made at the same factory in China.

Also, can anyone repair my old one? A piece of metal that holds the headrest has come loose and rattles around inside, sometimes preventing me from moving the aligning thumb pieces. I know I'll have to buy a new one, but it would be nice to have my old one for back up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Excellent choice! You went online to buy a cheaper less expensive lensometer that probably won't work like the more expensive one and will probably end up costing you money.
    Tell me do you like it when your customers do the same and buy their glasses online?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Excellent choice! You went online to buy a cheaper less expensive lensometer that probably won't work like the more expensive one and will probably end up costing you money.
    Tell me do you like it when your customers do the same and buy their glasses online?
    Very good point

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
    Very good point
    I don't know...if I went to the place that sold me a product, and they couldn't/wouldn't fix it, then why not buy it online? Obviously the quality of the original was not so superior that it did not break. If they can't fix it, why not by a "disposable" one online for less money?

We can expect our customers to do the same if we treat them in a similar manner.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you can't figure how to open it, will you be able to slide it back together ? It takes some patience. Open it slowly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, the $50 one I bought on ebay was a complete waste of money. The measurements are way off. And somehow I missed all the previous advice about how I was looking for the screws on the wrong side. I went ahead and ordered a new (but made in China, damn it!) Essilor pd scope and once it's here, I'll take the old one apart and see if I can get the broken piece out. At least the old one is accurate, so I can use it for back up in a pinch.

Don't know what to do with the ebay one. Just toss it, I guess and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Well, the $50 one I bought on ebay was a complete waste of money. The measurements are way off. And somehow I missed all the previous advice about how I was looking for the screws on the wrong side. I went ahead and ordered a new (but made in China, damn it!) Essilor pd scope and once it's here, I'll take the old one apart and see if I can get the broken piece out. At least the old one is accurate, so I can use it for back up in a pinch.

Don't know what to do with the ebay one. Just toss it, I guess and chalk it up to a lesson learned.
    I'll check with my wife and see if she's interested in a day trip to DC, I could have it fixed in a few minutes. Are you open tomorrow?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Harry. I'd love to see you again, but I've already ordered the new one and I don't want to do anything to the old one until I've got the new one. I am pretty sure I can fix the old one myself, now that I know which side to work on!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So how can we fault people going online and ordering their glasses there when a dispensing optician who should know better did the same thing and got a similar result?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    X2
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    a valid corneal reflex measurement
    Barry

What is "a valid corneal reflex measurement'? We know what a reflex measurement is but what is a "valid" one? Then I have to ask you what makes it valid or non valid?
    Sorry, just asking.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Golfnorth: I don't fault my customers for buying junk online since they usually come back in and admit that they wasted their money. I wasted $50 but I got a good lesson for less that a pair of crummy Warby Parkers. If I lose a customer because online s/he finds the same frames that are in my shop for a lot less than I charge, I certainly wouldn't complain. I would hope that my excellent service and top quality lenses would set me apart, but if not, then I certainly have no grounds for complaining.

I initially resisted buying another Essilor scope because: 1. I was ticked off that they wouldn't repair my old one and 2. the loaner that Essilor sent felt much more cheaply made than my 25 year old French one. But when I discovered that the $50 one didn't do the job accurately, I admitted my mistake and bought a new one. I don't mind paying for quality, but I want to be sure the quality is real.

Thread Information