Thread: Re: new Cost*o PAL

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: new Cost*o PAL

A woman came in yesterday with glasses purchased at Cost*o. They had markings I have never seen -- certainly not the Ovation or Smallfit.

Anyone know anything about these lenses?

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Their new freeform?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, but does anyone have any details about it?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I little birdy told me it was nothing more than a digi surfaced Ovation. *pinchofsalt*

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinxsmith View Post
    I little birdy told me it was nothing more than a digi surfaced Ovation. *pinchofsalt*
    Would not digitally surfaced Ovation have the marks of Ovation?!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    True, Lenny. Plus, I was told by someone who works at that place that there's a 14 mm min. fitting height. I was also told they're having problems with non-adapts. In fact, I became aware of the lens because someone came into my store looking for new glasses to replace the ones she had just purchased at the warehouse -- not working for her.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's nice to know what the lens is, but in my opinion, I don't care...I would fit the patient into whichever progressive in my portfolio I think would be best for their Rx and the frame that we choose. The patient came to you, do what it takes for them to understand your value, earn their trust. They will tell their friends, so on and so forth. After you make the new glasses, see if you can improve the cheap lenses, sometimes it's simple adjustments that the fast moving world of warehouse does not take or have the time to do. Good luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    It's nice to know what the lens is, but in my opinion, I don't care...I would fit the patient into whichever progressive in my portfolio I think would be best for their Rx and the frame that we choose. The patient came to you, do what it takes for them to understand your value, earn their trust. They will tell their friends, so on and so forth. After you make the new glasses, see if you can improve the cheap lenses, sometimes it's simple adjustments that the fast moving world of warehouse does not take or have the time to do. Good luck.
    I'm just curious. I'm not asking because I want to use it. I like to know what other places use.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Let's not get too uppity here. I am sure that some members of this forum have dispensed Ovation (or something similar) before. I think it is always very important to know exactly what the lens is (including material) when a patient comes in and says they are not satisfied with it. And for other reasons, it is always good to know what lenses are being dispensed by Costco and other competitors.

As Michael Corleone said:
    "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Totally agree, not being uppity, I know others use the lens and use it successfully. Just making the point that I don't worry about it. Make the most of the patient you have in front of you. That is why I say, adjust the glasses as well so they are functional. Digital or not, the ovation is a decent lens when fit properly, but more importantly is that you build the relationship with the patient. I'm curious to jefe, make sure to ask what the issues are with the lens, why it didn't work for the patient, so that you have more tools in the box if it should come up again, and more knowledge when you find out exactly what the lens is.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Coincidently, I got an email advertisement today from Costco (I am a member) about their new Kirkland (the Costco house brand) digital progressive lens. I called my local Costco optical department and they said the blanks were supplied by Essilor and ground at a Costco lab, but he said they are not Essilor designs. The person at Costco had no further information. Probably an IOT freeform design or something similar.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The IOT design I have has an eye on it. Can IOT designs have different markings from different labs...or can labs put their own markings on them?

Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    Probably an IOT freeform design or something similar.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Yes. Labs can customize their markings.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jspayneii View Post
    Yes. Labs can customize their markings.
    Plenty of in-house products out there that are just relabeled versions of "brand name." I worked at an optical with an in-house PAL that was just a renamed Ideal.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Of course they would......................

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post

Of course they would............................if their destination is a B&M business.

But do not forget that optical manufacturers these days are also selling their same lenses under other names in different countries and also now to these many discounters and on-line businesses. What better way to sell incognito to different markets under other names and prices and then deny it all.

This was a practice that already was used by the old American Optical and B&L over 50 years ago.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The following situation seems similar to me:

If I can successfully cheat on the wife, and she doesn't find out, I think it's ok.

B

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

If I can successfully cheat on the wife, and she doesn't find out, I think it's ok.

B
    Oh it's not OK, I am filing for a divorce.

Mrs B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

B
    lol Mr Barry obviously has a lot to learn about Mrs B yet. Let's see if he continues to use the same analogy after she finishes hammering on him

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I believe we were talking about lens types being cheated with, ..........................not wifes. They only buy those lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    According to my Costco, it's their own design that they developed and they're the only ones using it. It's digital, dual sided, and only comes w/AR. The mark is some kind of KS for Kirkland Signature.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We said the same thing at a shop of Big Brothers .... it was an Autohraph.
    Maybe they bought a variation of an existing design? I've been told a big buying group did the same thing of an E product and labeled as theirs.
    Bottom line is ... what's the patient feed-back?

Cs

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerlilly View Post
    According to my Costco, it's their own design that they developed and they're the only ones using it. It's digital, dual sided, and only comes w/AR. The mark is some kind of KS for Kirkland Signature.
    As I mentioned above, I think this is a relatively new product, and they were previously using a brand name lens. My guess is that the Kirkland Signature is something like an IOT design, either one of the standard IOT or customized for Costco.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    As I mentioned above, I think this is a relatively new product, and they were previously using a brand name lens. My guess is that the Kirkland Signature is something like an IOT design, either one of the standard IOT or customized for Costco.
    I live in Kirkland (right near Costco #1), its a rebranded Essilor product, cast full front, distance only processing on the back, using mostly Opto-Tech generators and a few Satisloh, its probable IOT contributed the the Aspheric backside design, but its not a fully compensated, its basically a cheap SV aspheric surface on the back of an old cast lens.. They call it HD, not free-form. So Costco could say they developed it, and its probably unique (no one else is using the Ovation blank with a SV Aspheric backside design), but is it better? But its not much better, but the Ovation is bad everything is an improvement. Coscto has been running all their progressives digitally for sometime. Its really not that much of a change.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I live in Kirkland (right near Costco #1), its a rebranded Essilor product, cast full front, distance only processing on the back, using mostly Opto-Tech generators and a few Satisloh, its probable IOT contributed the the Aspheric backside design, but its not a fully compensated, its basically a cheap SV aspheric surface on the back of an old cast lens.. They call it HD, not free-form. So Costco could say they developed it, and its probably unique (no one else is using the Ovation blank with a SV Aspheric backside design), but is it better? But its not much better, but the Ovation is bad everything is an improvement. Coscto has been running all their progressives digitally for sometime. Its really not that much of a change.
    According to what was posted above, the blanks are from Essilor, but not the design. My understanding is that is a relatively new product, different from what Costco previously offered for progressives.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are they charging more for it as a premium design? Is it the only progressive they use now?

Thread Information