Thread: Statistics in Optics?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Statistics in Optics?

I've always been a statistics buff myself and have used many statistical tools throughout my optical career. The most notable examples of this were:

- Tracking breakage and redo trends in the laboratory
    - Analyzing returns data
    - Designing and analyzing customer surveys
    - Tracking and analyizing customer calls to our technical support hotline
    - And setting up DOEs (Design of Experiments) while working in R&D.

Does anyone else use statistics in their work? If so, what are you using them for and how do you use them?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Optometrist

i used stats too

When i worked for an optical retailer in a large mall, i noticed we got several people come in for various repairs, and thought that it would be a good idea to track these.

I got everyone to place an entry in a spreadsheet for every repair they did. We looked at type (rx specs or plano sunspex), age of specs, place of purchase, make, type of repair (we used codes for the common ones, e.g 1=eye-piece screw, 2=nosepad etc), time taken, and a box for other comments.

We didnt charge for repairs (we had a note saying "We dont charge for repairs, but a donation to Fight For Sight would be lovely!), so it was an interesting thing to do to monitor if anything, the time spent on repairs, but was only actively carried out for about a week before people started to slack and forget to fill in their entries.

In summary, the findings were:
    - Hot sunny day, lots of plano sunspex missing screws came in.
    - place of purchase: highest answer was 'cant remember', but i think this is because they thought they would be sent away or charged for the repairs.
    - Time spent: average 4.6 minutes

-----
    yahya
    curiosity killed the cat...well, in that case i should be dead soon

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I wonder what your car mechanic.....

I wonder what your car mechanic would charge for the same amount of time spent in repairs! Over here, its somewhere in the vicinity of $55 American per hour or any part thereof. Did you track your charitable reciepts as well?

Having learned to love statistics, I have also learned that you can make the same statistics tell at least 2 different stories if not more. They are an incredible sales tool as well as a great marketing and planning vehicle.

best from the Cape from harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I like analytical tools myself Steve.

I have a 17 page (worksheet) in Excel I run for analyzing a lab. Considers redo, spoilage, productivity, cost per job, personnel needed (for current as well as future production), and the percentage of deptartmental load. Took quite some time to write this all up - considering the number of formulas I used.

I also wrote an Excel spreadsheet to calculate the adjustments needed to a tracing (frame) when the frame curve used, is not the final curve when inserting. It re-calculates the radii and outputs back to an edger or server.

Have several others I wrote for various testing purposes. One of which is to determine the final Rx when a patient is placed in a wrap (high base) frame. Considers vertexs, power change, and induced cylinder as well as prismatic results/needs.

Usually work on these things during the many hotel hours I have. One day I'll get a life.
    J. R. Smith

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave Re: Statistics in Optics?

Steve Machol said:
    Does anyone else use statistics in their work? If so, what are you using them for and how do you use them?
    Yep I keep a score of Intake V Output along with breakage % of work done. Also used to keep pricing errors but that fallen by the wayside. Used mainly for keeping a eye on how work levels are dropping but those who need to view the figures and action on them dont seem to care so its purly for personal use and ammo....

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar
    I keep a database of one of my peripheral contact lens clinics, mostly because I started it from scratch a couple of years ago and I can track it from the beginning.

It is interesting to analyse reasons for fitting, numbers of follow up appointments etc.

However we should remember that a drunk uses a lamp post the same way that a politician uses statisitcs, for support rather than illumination!:D

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    One day I'll get a life.
    Just not any day soon, from what I hear! ;) Happy travels John- see you in a few weeks!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do several analytical reports a month for the dispensary including optician productivity, finishing lab and OD productivity. I know my average sale, average frame sale, capture rate, receivables, turn around time, breakage, cl units, discounts given, three years prior data, etc. Yada, yada yada!

It is important to do so and is part of managing effectively. :)

Occupation
    Yep Pete, see ya at the OLA. I have also reserved a front row seat at your seminar @ the NSM. Plan on making faces at you while you try and be serious.
    J. R. Smith

Bad address email on file

Statistics

I use medical statistics as much as possible in order to try to run an evidence based practice.

I need to know the sensitivity, specificity, positive and negative predictive value of tests I use/order. I need to know the prior odds and post test odds of the likelihood of diease.

I need to know the likely effects of treatment/no treatment in order to offer patients a risk/benefit analysis based on evidence.

It makes life complicated, but very satisfying to know that I have evidence to back up my management decisions.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Re: Statistics in Optics?

Steve Machol said:
    I've always been a statistics buff myself and have used many statistical tools throughout my optical career. The most notable examples of this were:

- Tracking breakage and redo trends in the laboratory
    - Analyzing returns data
    - Designing and analyzing customer surveys
    - Tracking and analyizing customer calls to our technical support hotline
    - And setting up DOEs (Design of Experiments) while working in R&D.

Theonly optical statics I have seen were of commercial nature, compiled and sent to members by the now defunct OMA (Optical Manufacturers Association) a few years back. They came out of the US statistic department.

Thread Information