Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Kors

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Michael Kors

Hey everyone!

First, please don't turn this into a complain about lux post. I'm looking for some real advice. I know we all hate lux.

We sell a fair amount of Michael Kors in my shop; mens, womans, and suns. The line is a bit higher end, not super pricey and people love the name and look. Currently MK is a Marchon line but it is moving to Lux in 2015. I am not sure we will keep the line once it's lux but I don't know what to replace it with. MK holds about 26 boards spaces now, so it needs to be a robust line. 8 of the spaces are mens so the line can be women heavy but should offer some mens too. The MK suns look great and are a great wholesale price so I can really price them to sell (which they do!) I'd like the wholesale to be similar but we could carry a bit pricier.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is Marchon getting in to replace it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    nothing announced yet.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard they were going to announce in July what the replacement is.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My MK rep just left. I actually have a pit in stomach. We will by choice, loosing one of my best selling lines. He said it will be 2 months before a replacement line is named. He said it is 2 new lines. Totally new to the eyewear business. Marchon is cleared to sell MK till Next June, and Luxotica will make it official next March at Vision Expo with a product launch.

I myself am at a loss for what to replace it with.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me get this straight, MK does well for you but the brand is transferring from Marchon (VSP) and you have concerns about LUX. My advice would be to stop over working it and wait to see what LUX has in mind for MK.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Bear in mind that just because Luxottica is using the name "Michael Kors," the frames may or may not bear any resemblance to the aesthetic of the Marchon line of the same name. The license is changing hands; the designers of the frames are not. Lux's MK is likely to look very, very different from Marchon's, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the current MK styles reappear in a few seasons as a different Marchon property. Many of Marchon's new Nine West styles are rebranded Coach designs from a few years back.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't underestimate the consumers diet for brand recognition.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have more than a healthy bit of skepticism and fear of the motives of both of these manufacturers...but, objectively, the quality and fashion of the Lux frames beat the March frames by a good margin. Coach frames are much better after making the same switch a couple of years back.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This news is a bummer, Seems like Lux is just gobbling up any and all brand names that matter.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    why not?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Bear in mind that just because Luxottica is using the name "Michael Kors," the frames may or may not bear any resemblance to the aesthetic of the Marchon line of the same name. The license is changing hands; the designers of the frames are not. Lux's MK is likely to look very, very different from Marchon's, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the current MK styles reappear in a few seasons as a different Marchon property. Many of Marchon's new Nine West styles are rebranded Coach designs from a few years back.
    Yeah, this is exactly what will happen. Typically I think Lux really phones it in with new lines. I mean, why should they even bother trying to create a quality look? They have the name, who cares what they look like?

Anywho, I'm not too terribly broken up about it. Trends come and go, Michael Kors is hot now but that doesn't mean a thing in the future. Coach used to be hotter than it is now- carrying a coach bag is pretty passe these days. We do well at my office without Lux- I simply tell people that we don't carry Lenscrafter products and they seem to understand. I always tell people that brand licenses have no bearing on the quality of the product which bear the brand name alone.

If you are considering a Marchon product I do well with Ferragamo and Valentino- higher price point than Michael Kors but attractive and fashionable. Our patient base has been pleased with their eyewear.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My Dr. does not like to support Lux, we do carry Ray-Ban but who doesn't, sell a ton of them. Like NCspecs said right now its MK is hot and I am hooked very well to that gravy train, cant keep them stocked.
    Last edited by EyeManDan; 06-21-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    My Dr. does not like to support Lux, we do carry Ray-Ban but who doesn't, sell a tone of them. Like NCspecs said right now its MK is hot and I am hooked very well to that gravy train, cant keep them stocked.
    Ditto for us and Oakley. I'll resist Ray-Ban for as long as I can.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    And this is exactly what happened when Fendi went from Marchon to Safilo. Terrible designs compared to what Marchon had. And that's saying quite a bit since there was nothing really to write home about the designs from Marchon. My suggestion to pragusa is to wait and see. I have the same qualms about MK as well. They have 2x the space that most of my lines do because they sell that much. I think I've convinved the owners to not sign right up for the new Lux ones using this example. There are tons of great lines out there. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My Dr. does not like to support Lux, we do carry Ray-Ban but who doesn't, sell a ton of them. Like NCspecs said right now its MK is hot and I am hooked very well to that gravy train, cant keep them stocked.
    If you really want to stay away from Lux, why sell Ran Ban. For years our top selling Sun was the Wayfarer, there are several companies that we were able to find who have a, "Wayfarer" model and the "New Wayfarer". If it's name recognition why cut your nose.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ray-ban Is one of the few if not only line that if we didn't have we would loose sales. Suns I don't sell a lot of but the ray-ban name is what the kids are after. Not the shape style just the name.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ray-ban Is one of the few if not only line that if we didn't have we would loose sales. Suns I don't sell a lot of but the ray-ban name is what the kids are after. Not the shape style just the name.
    +1. I hate it, but if five patients a week come in asking if you carry it, you should carry it. Your patients are literally asking you to take their money.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    I have more than a healthy bit of skepticism and fear of the motives of both of these manufacturers...but, objectively, the quality and fashion of the Lux frames beat the March frames by a good margin. Coach frames are much better after making the same switch a couple of years back.
    I have to agree.

If you're "getting it on" with Marchon, you may as well "XXX with Lux".

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I do have to agree about marchon and quality, I do not carry to much marchon products for that reason, MK was a hold over line from the previous optician and it has done well so I kept it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It seems to be all about the purses.

I know I've seen several MK purses on the hoity-toities.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just what is so wrong with Ray Ban, please?

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Love Ray-Ban myself. The made in Italy models especially are little tanks; go-to for durability. I have more antipathy towards Oakley and Maui JIm-- they quite literally tell ECPs that they're better than everyone else while also literally forcing you to use their labs and place their restrictions on our patients by dictating their lens choices. Forget that. I'd rather sell RB and be able to customize the lenses to my pt's needs rather than let a third party make those decisions for me. Isn't that the sort of monolithic regulation we're trying to avoid from the big E?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is the "big E" Essilor or EyeMed?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it's genius that other companies use Marchon as their very own marketing divisions. Think about it...they allow Marchon to license the name, develop the product, spend millions on the roll-outs, spend millions on building the brand, build up sales, and take all the up front risks. Then, Lux just has to pay one price to license a market proven brand, bypassing all the risk, time, and sweat it takes to develop the line! And they can't overpay, because it's a proven entity.

Also, hats off to the geniuses like Ken from Modern, David from ClearVision, who create and actually OWN most of their own brands. Sure, perhaps not the "man on the street" type names, but still good enough to keep generating good revenues, and not be slaves to licensing commitments.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information