Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and Crizal Question

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Alcohol and Crizal Question

I am looking for any info concerning adverse effects of alcohol on Crizal coated lenses, I personally in 12 years have seen no ill effect on crizal products in particular by alcohol but it has been brought up lately that you shouldn't use it on them.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Outkast View Post
    I am looking for any info concerning adverse effects of alcohol on Crizal coated lenses, I personally in 12 years have seen no ill effect on crizal products in particular by alcohol but it has been brought up lately that you shouldn't use it on them.
    Alcohol is a solvent. It can erode the oleophobic coating. I use a mild dish detergent (PH 9 or less) and a very high quality microfiber cloth (Toray) to dry.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    polycarbonate lens can be effected by alcohol. It can crack them!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mshimp View Post
    Alcohol will not crack polycarbonate.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Let me clarify. On an uncut lens it will not crack but on an edged and inserted lens it will. Try it. Put 70% alcohol on the lens and let it seep to the edges and check it out in a few days. Or if you want to be aggressive use 90%. I had a safety account that all of sudden had "cracking" on many of their glasses. I found out they were using a new disposable 90 proof cleaning cloth. Eliminated the Alcohol eliminated the problem. I totally agree with the mild dish detergent and micro-fiber cloths for cleaning. We sale our lens cleaner that has a very diluted amount of alcohol with detergent additive. So I'm not completely anti alcohol, just use caution.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    +1 to that, we use 90% for cleaning raw poly before it goes to scratch coating it is perfectly safe, now anything with acetone will destroy a poly lens and certain thread lock brands will crack poly also if you get it on the edge of the lens.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    [ So I'm not completely anti alcohol, just use caution.[/QUOTE]

Agreed

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [ So I'm not completely anti alcohol, just use caution.
    Agreed[/QUOTE]

I am pro alcohol. It is the optician's best friend. Take it straight or put it on ice, just don't put it on finished lenses!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Conducting an experiment now, I have submerged a cr39 bifocal with alize that has been edged for a metal frame in 90% alcohol and I will randomly take it out and clean it with a microfiber cloth while I do my edging and we'll see how she looks after a month of alcohol and lots of random cleanings.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Conducting an experiment now, I have submerged a cr39 bifocal with alize that has been edged for a metal frame in 90% alcohol and I will randomly take it out and clean it with a microfiber cloth while I do my edging and we'll see how she looks after a month of alcohol and lots of random cleanings.
    Dear Alcohol, we had a deal. You were supposed to make me funnier, sexier, more intelligent & a better dancer. I saw the video. We need to talk......

I admire your scientific nature and applaud your moxxy (Who uses that word anymore!), but im not sure its a fair experiment. Typically lenses are not submerged in alcohol so you may want to have another control. Perhaps a second set of lenses that you spray with alcohol once a day beside the submerged ones. Perhaps a third pair that's sprayed three times a day besides that. It would better simulate the actual use and practice of the customer and better demonstraight the effect of alcohol on crizal. Be sure to log all of the times and dates and effects so you can post and share =)

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm intrigued by what Robert said about alcohol eroding the oleophobic coating because it's a solvent. I mean, even the stuff that Chris makes his Markaway out of is classified as a solvent. What are the labs and everybody using to remove lens markings that isn't solvent based? A little bit of tape seems to pull markings off most coatings but occasionally they are almost impossible to remove. Can we be sure that the integrity of the oleo layer wasn't compromised by the lab before it even got to your store?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I'm intrigued by what Robert said about alcohol eroding the oleophobic coating because it's a solvent. I mean, even the stuff that Chris makes his Markaway out of is classified as a solvent. What are the labs and everybody using to remove lens markings that isn't solvent based? A little bit of tape seems to pull markings off most coatings but occasionally they are almost impossible to remove. Can we be sure that the integrity of the oleo layer wasn't compromised by the lab before it even got to your store?
    Not with infrequent use, like we'll see in the lab, or in the field, to remove hairspray and paint. But I'm pretty darn sure the coating manufacturers don't want us to use alcohol on a regular basis due to degrading interactions with the top coats.

I've heard of consumers who make their own cleaning solutions with various surfactants and alcohol- I try to get the word out that it voids their warranty and will speed the destruction of the surface coatings.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Ethanol = OK
    Isopropyl = No Bueno
    Denatured = No Bueno

One time here and there won't necessarily have an adverse effect but long term exposure is know to effect polycarbonate. ARC is another story.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    I have had pt's who say they like to use vegetable wash but I have no idea what is in that either, at our lab we do prefer All Off by Optisource and that stuff is pretty hot so to speak, I thought I would lighten up the experiment a little as well like chaotic suggested above but I do want to put these coatings to the test to see what we are dealing with, as apposed to what sales reps tell us. We were told once when it first came out by a rep that Alize was bonded into the cells of the lens and couldn't be removed, he didn't think it was funny when I stripped half of it off his sample with some AR remover. I'll do a few different things and let you all know what I find
    Last edited by Outkast; 06-16-2014 at 06:41 PM.

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    I have been using 90% Isopropyl alcohol on all materials that have an AR coating for about 8 years now with no problems. I even use it on poly drill mounts fresh out of the edger. It really helps with removing the "new" coating they apply to lenses that is supposed to help with slippage. Now, I wouldn't tell a customer to use it to clean their lenses regularly but every once in awhile I don't think would hurt.
    Pez:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    100 Proof Vodka for me....

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I have yet to see a surface lab that does not use 90-99% IPO for cleaning uncoated polycarbonate.

In the surface AR lab I work in, we only use 99% IPO. Even our hard coater uses it as a prewash.

Our standard hydrophobic coating is applied with IPO in solution.
    Our super hydrophobic coating is prepped and washed with IPO, both before and after application.

Also, I agree, pure ethanol would be slightly better, however it attracts moisture a lot faster, smells worse, costs more, and I'm pretty sure it's a restricted chemical, due to its use as an organic solvent in most narcotic manufacturing industries.
    Last edited by ml43; 06-16-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had a patient come in recently complaining about how not durable our lenses are, come to find out he was cleaning them with alcohol 5 ish times a day. His Avance was demolished and they were starting to crack. but of course, that was my fault
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a patient come in with cracked poly lenses. I told her it was from cleaning them with chemicals. She told me I was "for the birds" because all she ever used was the lens cleaner we sell in the office ... "except for when I use my husbands denture cleaner on them." What!!!! That was a first for me!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Many or most lens cleaning solutions contain alcohols ...............................

Many or most lens cleaning solutions contain alcohol as the main cleaning agent. Make sure you are using one that does not. The best are the one that are 100% surfactant based.
    These will not attack any plastic and coating materials.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alcohol is a solvent. It can erode the oleophobic coating. I use a mild dish detergent (PH 9 or less) and a very high quality microfiber cloth (Toray) to dry.
    Let me clarify. On an uncut lens it will not crack but on an edged and inserted lens it will.
    Alcohol (Isopropyl) can erode/delaminate the coating regardless of the substrate. Alcohol will not crack the lens.

Nutmeg will crack polycarbonate, as will a variety of household cleaners.

http://www.palramhort.com/pdffiles/P...Resistance.pdf

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Poly is resistant to Beer and Butter! This is the coolest list I have read about Poly ever! Thanks Robert!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Great list...thanks for that, Robert.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I had a patient come in with cracked poly lenses. I told her it was from cleaning them with chemicals. She told me I was "for the birds" because all she ever used was the lens cleaner we sell in the office ... "except for when I use my husbands denture cleaner on them." What!!!! That was a first for me!
    DoH!!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Disclaimer!!! THIS IS A JOKE Anyone who uses Crizal needs alcohol.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters
    Laramy-K Optical

Thread Information