Thread: Customers who come in to look at glasses, but don't try anything on

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Customers who come in to look at glasses, but don't try anything on

Does it confuse you guys as much as it does me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes. Sometimes I think people are wary because they are used to getting a hard sell from showroom type situations in other type of establishments. You can usually feel their reluctance to engage. In these cases I simply greet, offer to answer any questions they may have, and make myself busy doing something within eye line and ear shot, but not hovering. Sometimes that's all you can do.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    Yes. Sometimes I think people are wary because they are used to getting a hard sell from showroom type situations in other type of establishments. You can usually feel their reluctance to engage. In these cases I simply greet, offer to answer any questions they may have, and make myself busy doing something within eye line and ear shot, but not hovering. Sometimes that's all you can do.
    +1

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    It happens from time to time. I just greet them, introduce myself, ask them if they are looking for anything in particular, and say let me know if you need further assistance. And I usually end with letting them know about a promotion thats going on. Our frames are displayed in locked rods and closed display cases, so if they would like to try on a frame, they will definitely need my assistance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Have you every been in a clothing store, looked around, and not tried anything on?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Good point. But firstly glasses are much simpler to try on than clothes, and secondly we're quite out of the way so people would make a special visit to come to our store.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Good point. But firstly glasses are much simpler to try on than clothes, and secondly we're quite out of the way so people would make a special visit to come to our store.
    I suppose they didn't see anything they liked, so why bother to try it on? It is not just a matter of size, but of whether the customer likes they way it looks, etc. I don't understand what difference it makes that your store is "quite out of the way." If they don't like what you have in stock, there is no reason to try it on. Or maybe they noticed the prices, and decided it was too expensive, so why try it on.

I think that retailers in general (regardless of what the product is) think the customer should settle for a product that the retailer has in stock, because that makes everything so much easier for the retailer. It doesn't always work that way.
    Last edited by m0002a; 06-14-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Located near a bus stop? Maybe they are just killing some time while waiting for the 2:15 bus?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've found a lot of people are confused as to if they are allowed to try stuff on. And this is in a big old chain. Can't imagine if it was in a private location. Sometimes I just "give" them permission to try on whatever they like. Of course I also don't have super high end stuff either. That would be a whole other experience.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper That is a question that was already valid in the stone age ..........................

That is a question that was already valid in the stone age of optical retail.

People see their favorite actor, politician or news reporter and whoever else, who looks close to them, but wears the glasses that gives their face the final touch they like and want to look the exactly same one. Then they are looking for the exact same frame and in the same colors.

In the old days when we had no frame bars and everything was in the drawers of the fitting tables
    we had just about to pull out every frame we had and they could not find what they wanted. Today they look for themselves because it is all out in the open and or a lot easier.

Another case could be that they are looking for some frame they have seen on-line and liked and want to see if it looks good on them or are price shopping. They are looking for a specific model which you don't show in your collection.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make sure your security cameras are recording on the hi-res setting.

I hand them my card and tell them to make an appointment.
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 06-16-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We have our frames out in the open, so it always does seem strange to not try them on. I have even seen someone pick up a frame, hold it next to their face, and then put it back on the shelf. So strange. I give them space and check on them in a few minutes and offer to check on any additional colors or sizes that may be helpful for them. Sometimes I offer to pull some of the newer styles for them to try on and then they bite, it lets me know if they are actually interested in looking.

We do often get a bored spouse from someone who is at the spa down the way or shopping next door. I offer a chair to get comfy in the waiting room and use the wifi if they like :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Make sure your security cameras are recording on the hi-res setting.

I hand them my card and tell them to make an appointment.
    My thoughts too! Hi Res for sure! We had a guy come in and have him on video. He didn't want help and wanted to be left alone. He was wandering from spot to spot way too fast (in hind sight). That should have been our clue. he wasn't looking long enough to see a specific frame, he was looking for a general area to steal. Man was he good and quick once he made his move. Forgot to add, older too, which just aided his disguise.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We taught our kids to LOOK with their eyes not their hands. If you don't invite them to try frames on, maybe they won't.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe they are opticians and they just want to see what you have in stock. I am guily of doing this. I usually want to look at sunglasses though because I don't carry any.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I feel people are socially awkward, and they just want to be left alone. There are so many people who are at different socializing skills levels and rude/nice scale. I feel opty4062 has a good approach as I work at a corporate structured optical. I feel I am greeted as if I am shady car salesman and do what I can avoid this impression. So Robert_S, it is not confusing, it is just perplexing at times.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I think the solution to this problem is obvious. Hire an off-duty police officer as security and station them at your front door. Instruct the police officer to beat any customer with their Baton (British bully club) who comes in and does not at least try on a frame. How dare a customer come into a optical shop and not try on a frame. Of course, if a customer tries on at least one frame and does not make a purchase, then the customer should be bludgeoned to death by store security.
    Last edited by m0002a; 06-17-2014 at 12:08 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a:487132
    I think the solution to this problem is obvious. Hire an off-duty police office as security and station them at your front door. Instruct the police officer to beat any customer with their Baton (British bully club) who comes in and does not at least try on a frame. How dare a customer come into a optical shop and not try on a frame. Of course, if a customer tries on at least one frame and does not make a purchase, then the customer should be bludgeoned to death by store security.
    Now that's funny stuff! :)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    It's either they are an introvert or a thief. Even tire kickers that have zero intention of purchasing try products on.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    I think the solution to this problem is obvious. Hire an off-duty police officer as security and station them at your front door. Instruct the police officer to beat any customer with their Baton (British bully club) who comes in and does not at least try on a frame. How dare a customer come into a optical shop and not try on a frame. Of course, if a customer tries on at least one frame and does not make a purchase, then the customer should be bludgeoned to death by store security.
    Undoubtedly a great idea!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    It's either they are an introvert or a thief. Even tire kickers that have zero intention of purchasing try products on.
    You must be talking about women, not men.

Thread Information