Thread: Glacier Plus AR

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Glacier Plus AR

Anybody knows anything about the new Glacier Plus AR from Shamir? I know it has been out a couple of years in Europe already and is wondering how it compare to Avance.

Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course Shamir's testing says it's the bestest AR in the world http://www.shamirlens.co.uk/index.ph...lus&Itemid=253 , but I'm not sure how they are going to get the longevity and durability of Crizal without a base hardcoat like TD2. Maybe their entire process will include hardcoating, but I doubt it. Digital Eye Labs I'm told is the exclusive vendor of Glacier in the US (for right this moment at least), and they do not hardcoat they lay AR on factory SRC. Unless they are putting in a whole hardcoating system to compliment the AR there will be something lost vs Crizal.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Digital said they used some kind of thermal process that doesn't a better job of bonding the AR to the lens material. Thus, a more durable bond compare to Crizal. But I am always skeptical of these marketing claims.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a set of the Auto III that were done at their lab in Israel with the new AR, I was told it is the Glacier. Great set of lenses, I use them primarily for yard work and I would have expected them to be scratched up, alas they are not. Super quality, not a huge fan of Crizal so I may not be the best barometer.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Why dont you ask any supplier to supply accepted quality tests of their product (ar coatings) versus an existing brand ?
    I am sure that they must do it for their own satisfaction when developing a new way of doing it.

Thread Information