Thread: Please i need some feedback on where to go to school!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Please i need some feedback on where to go to school!!!

So, here is my situation.

There are two schools around me that have an opthalmic dispensing program. Lets call the first school, school A. School A is a better school, $3000 a semester, and it will take me 2 years from now to be done with it, as they do not offer summer sessions. This school is also 30 minutes further away from me.

Then, there is the other school, school B. School B is $6500 a semester, closer to me, but is not as good or comprehensive of a program. However, school B has summer sessions, so I could start now and be done with my degree and everything by the Fall 2015 semester and go on with my life. As I mentioned, school B is not as good of a program and is designed to help you pass the ABO and the state practical exam; nothing more, nothing less. I have a semester under my belt at school B.

FEEDBACK PLEASE!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by danmdphd View Post

FEEDBACK PLEASE!!!

The the only feedback that I can give at this point is:

There is no need to post this same question multiple times in multiple forums so please do not do it again.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz,

I need real advice, please. I will not do it again.

Thanks.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My thought would be---

Are you planning to own a business (A) with other employees or a one man show(B)?

If A- Go the fastest route. Hire great help!

If B- Go the better school route.

Either way after licensing put a couple years working in retail under your belt before doing anything more.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-21-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: tweak...

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd suggest going with the best program. In the long run, the extra material you learn will help you. Working in retail during the summers and on weekends during the school year would help, too.

I completely agree with my friend Uncle Fester on getting a couple years' experience in retail before setting up your own place.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    School A. Rome wasn't built in a day. Why would you be willing to pay more that twice as much per semester for an inferior product?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by danmdphd View Post
    So, here is my situation.

There are two schools around me that have an opthalmic dispensing program. Lets call the first school, school A. School A is a better school, $3000 a semester, and it will take me 2 years from now to be done with it, as they do not offer summer sessions. This school is also 30 minutes further away from me.

Then, there is the other school, school B. School B is $6500 a semester, closer to me, but is not as good or comprehensive of a program. However, school B has summer sessions, so I could start now and be done with my degree and everything by the Fall 2015 semester and go on with my life. As I mentioned, school B is not as good of a program and is designed to help you pass the ABO and the state practical exam; nothing more, nothing less. I have a semester under my belt at school B.

FEEDBACK PLEASE!!!
    I am thinking that you are trying to decide between City Tech and TCI. You might want to consider the pass rates for each school on the ABO and the NYS Practical. If you think that TCI is preparing you just for the test, you are wrong. The knowledge you will gain will prepare you for much more. Why do you think school "B" is not as comprehensive a program? At school "A" professors are protected by tenure. At school "B" they must produce good results or pack their bags. Take a look at the pass rates for last October's state exams:
    Table 4: Passing Rate By Type of Educational Program
    Educational Program
    # of candidates
    # candidates passing
    Passing rate
    Training Programs
    78.6%
    College Programs
    72.7%
    Erie
    66.7%
    New York Tech
    70.0%
    Other college
    33.3%
    TCI
    100%

Every time you have to take that practical again, it will cost you $$$$$, and time. Apprentice opticians passed at a higher rate than City Tech. Time is money, and I think TCI really does prepare you better.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    I am thinking that you are trying to decide between City Tech and TCI. You might want to consider the pass rates for each school on the ABO and the NYS Practical. If you think that TCI is preparing you just for the test, you are wrong. The knowledge you will gain will prepare you for much more. Why do you think school "B" is not as comprehensive a program? At school "A" professors are protected by tenure. At school "B" they must produce good results or pack their bags. Take a look at the pass rates for last October's state exams:
    Table 4: Passing Rate By Type of Educational Program
    Educational Program
    # of candidates
    # candidates passing
    Passing rate
    Training Programs
    78.6%
    College Programs
    72.7%
    Erie
    66.7%
    New York Tech
    70.0%
    Other college
    33.3%
    TCI
    100%

Every time you have to take that practical again, it will cost you $$$$$, and time. Apprentice opticians passed at a higher rate than City Tech. Time is money, and I think TCI really does prepare you better.
    Sharon,

You read my mind! Thank you so much for your input! I cannot begin to tell you how invaluable it is to me. If you have any more feedback or suggestions on anything and everything in regards to becoming an optician, I am all ears!

THANK YOU!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    My thought would be---

Are you planning to own a business (A) with other employees or a one man show(B)?

If A- Go the fastest route. Hire great help!

If B- Go the better school route.

Either way after licensing put a couple years working in retail under your belt before doing anything more.
    Uncle Fester.

I am planning to own a store within the next few years.

What I keep hearing from people involved in the business is that they learned 90% of what they know through working on the job.

I am all ears in regards to any other advice you have!

THANK YOU!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can share my experience .. I went to school A.. Stayed in buffalo ( so we are clear on which is the "A" school .. Went for both specs and contacts. Graduated with honors (not bragging sharing) I didn't work during school only work study programs offered at the school .. (I concur with working in the field if you can start gaining that "experience" and also start networking and building your connections get to know your reps (frames, lab, insurance , contactss etc etc. Learn the fundamentals of optical and know functionality of your products and be able to explain why your patients should buy the better quality product . Trust me they will ask!!! Learn the ins and outs of insurances here is a book for you to read if your thinking of owning a business YOU MUST CHECK THIS OUT!! It's by Duncan Gordon "practice progress how to increase optical revenue 2nd edition" this is more business related than anything HOWEVER very essential .. Did you know there is a difference in what insurance your practice can carry if you own it and not an optometrist? I've been working for a private (doctor owned practice for 3 years I also sit on the advisory board of "school a" where we look at the curriculum and discuss how we can improve it for our future students and our future in optical. I'm not trying to boast, just sharing my experience in the intent of trying to help. Which I hope this has. Please feel to reply I would be happy to clarify and or elaborate on any of the above mentioned . Good luck!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cecstephen View Post
    I can share my experience .. I went to school A.. Stayed in buffalo ( so we are clear on which is the "A" school .. Went for both specs and contacts. Graduated with honors (not bragging sharing) I didn't work during school only work study programs offered at the school .. (I concur with working in the field if you can start gaining that "experience" and also start networking and building your connections get to know your reps (frames, lab, insurance , contactss etc etc. Learn the fundamentals of optical and know functionality of your products and be able to explain why your patients should buy the better quality product . Trust me they will ask!!! Learn the ins and outs of insurances here is a book for you to read if your thinking of owning a business YOU MUST CHECK THIS OUT!! It's by Duncan Gordon "practice progress how to increase optical revenue 2nd edition" this is more business related than anything HOWEVER very essential .. Did you know there is a difference in what insurance your practice can carry if you own it and not an optometrist? I've been working for a private (doctor owned practice for 3 years I also sit on the advisory board of "school a" where we look at the curriculum and discuss how we can improve it for our future students and our future in optical. I'm not trying to boast, just sharing my experience in the intent of trying to help. Which I hope this has. Please feel to reply I would be happy to clarify and or elaborate on any of the above mentioned . Good luck!!
    I think the original poster was talking about schools in the NYC Metro area, and that excludes Erie. All of the three schools in New York State are COA accredited, Middle States accredited, and all belong to NFOS (National Federation of Opticianry Schools). They all have to re-evaluate courses for relevancy on an annual basis as per COA essentials. They also have periodic site visits by accreditation teams to insure that everything is being taught, evaluated, and the end results are positive in terms of licensure etc.
    To danmdphd, I understand clearly the differences between school A and school B. One has a better facility in terms of equipment... but school B has something that is hard to quantify - the most dedicated instructors you will ever come in contact with, and a philosophy of knowledge by concept rather than by rote. Please PM me if you want to talk more.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is another quicker option open to you … our Canadian 6-month OPTICIAN/CONTACT LENS FITTER program that has managed to lower the learning curve time requirement through the use of proprietary study materials, latest training aids and innovative software applications to provide 520 hrs of intensive opticianry instruction. All the necessary opticianry competencies are covered and include full in-house hands-on practical instruction. Next class begins Sept 8th, 2014. PM me for further details.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I agree with Fester and Andrew

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We just hired a new rep with a great sense of style and great people skills, but very little knowledge of eyecare products and services. She'll be doing a lot of "listening" during the next couple weeks, but we'd also like to recommend some good free online materials to give her a better grasp of the basics. Can anyone recommend any good sites?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didnt spend thousands of dollars to attend an opthalmic dispensing program. I borrowed some study materials, took the ABO, and luckily passed. And I was working at a private office for several years, had lots of training, so I knew all the terminology and had hands on experience.
    I guess that was the easy route.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Judy. If you know the better option is cheaper then I don't understand how the other is even in the equation (Take it from an Optician buried in Culinary School debt! At least you know where you're headed! )

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

But... not an option in N.Y.

Quote Originally Posted by optician2601 View Post
    I didnt spend thousands of dollars to attend an opthalmic dispensing program. I borrowed some study materials, took the ABO, and luckily passed. And I was working at a private office for several years, had lots of training, so I knew all the terminology and had hands on experience.
    I guess that was the easy route.
    In NY an aspiring optician needs to either A) apprentice for 2 years, complete the NAO's Career Progression Program, and pass the ABO's NOCE exam.
    OR B) - attend a COA accredited school for 4 semesters, and pass the ABO's NOCE exam.

Either route will gain access to the practical exam, and eventual licensure.

For contact lens practitioners, just add the NCLE exam, and the NY CL practical to the mix.

Thread Information