Thread: Long time lurker with question. Tint under polarized?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Long time lurker with question. Tint under polarized?

First of all, thank all of you for the wonderful advice and insights provided on the forum. Like the title says, I've been a

lurker since I started in the biz 5 years ago. Now on to my question. We are getting complaints about how light the polarized

(brown C and gray C) lenses are coming out. Some of the customer service reps at my lab said to just request a tint under the

film. Is this a common solution and does it have repercussions for the life of the lens? Have you ever done this successfully?

Thanks!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We get this occasionally, usually from the people who want their lenses tinted "as dark as possible." Obviously, "as dark as possible" would be, you know, opaque, but whatever. I'm honestly not sure what they're talking about; my polarized lenses are a standard grey/brown 3 just like if I was tinting them.

They may be perceiving more contrast through the lens due to the polarization's glare removal. I generally tell these patients that a polarized lens doesn't need to be unusually dark to do its job because it's removing all the surface glare from your vision.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I get this request too. Just a couple weeks ago actually. Client had been wearing a Grey C polarized lens for the last couple of years. Wanted to know if he could get them a little darker. Sure, why not? It's never been an issue. The lab will tint them prior to edging.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, so they just tint the lens before applying the polarization film, is that correct?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiOkie View Post
    Ok, so they just tint the lens before applying the polarization film, is that correct?
    um no. They tint the polarized lens. I'm talking about CR39 specifically btw.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh my, that doesn't seem like it would be a good idea to me. Wouldn't the heat compromise the film?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oh my, that doesn't seem like it would be a good idea to me. Wouldn't the heat compromise the film?

Hasn't yet. :)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't try this in anything but CR39 lenses.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hi OptiOkie- the polarized film is actually embedded within the lens material during manufacturing, it is not applied at the lab. To answer your question on tinting, we do it often here at my lab and even supply gradient tint polarized lenses by starting with a gray 1 or brown 1. CR-39 is the most ideal material when attempting these tints.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Have actually had a lot of success doing this with Trivex for patients displeased with solely polarized lenses. No complaints or issues yet.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you all for the great answers! I usually use trivex for polarized sunnies and it's good to know that others like Browman have done this successfully with trivex!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We get this too.

I think I'm right, here: a polarized lens is clear, and the color comes entirely from the film. As such, it's not as dark.

I think the solution is a flash mirror. No, it doesn't reduce transmission all that much, it just keeps the "pickies" from seeing their eyes in the mirror and saying "Oh, no, this won't do. I see my eyes!"

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to tint the lens edges before mounting.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Absolutely it can jeopardize the lamination/film on any material and would most likely void any lab warranty. They're not designed for that type of processing. If a patient is requesting 'dark as possible' lenses, standard tint and UV is best.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    is it me or does a backside AR make it more comfortable for the patient that has this not dark enough issue. I have put several patients with this complaint in backside AR and they love the it. Theoretically it makes sense.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the uncuts are tinted, I'm ok with tinting anything - but only to add 15% - 20%. You don't want to invite trouble. Have had good success.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    We get this occasionally, usually from the people who want their lenses tinted "as dark as possible." Obviously, "as dark as possible" would be, you know, opaque, but whatever. I'm honestly not sure what they're talking about; my polarized lenses are a standard grey/brown 3 just like if I was tinting them.
    The density and hue varies slightly between manufacturers. I'll try to use the darker versions, when possible, by client request, but that's a very small percentage of my clients, less than 1%.

They may be perceiving more contrast through the lens due to the polarization's glare removal. I generally tell these patients that a polarized lens doesn't need to be unusually dark to do its job because it's removing all the surface glare from your vision.
    That's right. Less really is more.

I hear more complaints about sunglass tints being too dark. Inevitably, it's a dark grey, either dyed or polarized that was dyed, that has faded into an ugly red/purple. A switch to polarized brown brings many smiles.

An age 70 eye/retina is receiving about 50% of the light compared to age 20.

In many, if not most cases, it's not the quantity of light, it's the quality of light that cause discomfort. Combine polarization with anti-reflection, fit close for a good light seal, and always demo the grey and brown. Expect to see a much stronger preference towards brown with increasing age. I have an over age 50 clientele, and they're choosing brown over grey by one order of magnitude.

Polarized AR coated brown can be worn under a wide range of conditions, from a somewhat bright overcast day or during snow showers, where grey would be too dark, to the beach or over water, where one might think that brown would be to bright, but as AngeHamm points out, it's not the light reduction per se, it's glare reduction.
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 05-16-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    The density and hue varies slightly between manufacturers. I'll try to use the darker versions, when possible, by client request, but that's a very small percentage of my clients, less than 1%.

That's right. Less really is more.

I hear more complaints about sunglass tints being too dark. Inevitably, it's a dark grey, either dyed or polarized that was dyed, that has fade into an ugly red/purple. A switch to polarized brown brings many smiles.

An age 70 eye/retina is receiving about 50% of the light compared to age 20.

In many, if not most cases, it's not the quantity of light, it's the quality of light that cause discomfort. Combine polarization with anti-reflection, fit close for a good light seal, and always demo the grey and brown. Expect to see a much stronger preference towards brown with increasing age. I have an over age 50 clientele, and they're choosing brown over grey by one order of magnitude.

Polarized AR coated brown can be worn under a wide range of conditions, from a somewhat bright overcast day or during snow showers, where grey would be too dark, to the beach or over water, where one might think that brown would be to bright, but as AngeHamm points out, it's not the light reduction per se, it's glare reduction.
    Call me jaded here but I think we're over looking the distinct possibility here that most of these clients are just a little pervy and want to lessen the possibility of someone catching them looking at something they shouldn't. My theory is that these are the same clients who complain about how much their peripheral vision is being affected by progressives. Pervs! All the of them! :D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I really like polar brown, too.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    First of all, thank all of you for the wonderful advice and insights provided on the forum. Like the title says, I've been a

lurker since I started in the biz 5 years ago. Now on to my question. We are getting complaints about how light the polarized

(brown C and gray C) lenses are coming out. Some of the customer service reps at my lab said to just request a tint under the

film. Is this a common solution and does it have repercussions for the life of the lens? Have you ever done this successfully?

Thanks!
    evenin optiokie , I have had some success tinting polarised , putting yellow s40 on a grey made a nice driving lens for a friend in norway driving in snow alot , i would not advise doing this on old , used lenses as they can de-laminate with the stress of the heat of the tinting baths

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our practice is in the desert and it gets really, really, really bright. We tint over polarized lenses all the time and people are very happy with them for the most part. Make sure not to tint after edging, that is inviting trouble.

Personally, I have light blue eyes with large pupils, and I do not feel safe driving around here during peak sun hours without wearing a lens that has been tinted in addition to being polarized.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Ok. So we've seen tint, don't tint.....tint before edging, tint after edging. I am really confused?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    Ok. So we've seen tint, don't tint.....tint before edging, tint after edging. I am really confused?
    If you only got one answer we could all close up shop and refer everyone to the internet. You can't - therefore opticianry is still important. It's a good thing.

Thread Information