Thread: Efficiency in the dispensary

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Efficiency in the dispensary

Hey Optiboarders,

Curious question.

Was wondering what methods, if any, different practices used or have implemented to increase efficiency in the optical department?

I realize it's a vague question but my own OD wants to have a sit-down lunch with me on this very topic and I haven't been able to come up with any great ideas or suggestions (truth be told I don't find our current methods in need of any major tweaking.) But there is always something to learn and areas to improve in, that I'm sure of.

I would be interested to hear ideas that really made an impact in your practice's optical dept.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Efficiency in what way?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds simple, but one of the smallest changes that had the biggest effect in efficiency was how we store our jobs that are completed. We use to store them in trays, and also in file cabinets, but it was a nightmare keeping track of them, and accessing them when needed. We switched to the hanging bag system, like they use in pharmacies, and the staff couldn't believe the difference.

disclaimer: I liked the system so much, that I put it into all my offices, and became a distributor for them.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some examples of ways to increase efficiency in the optical:
    1. implement online ordering for labwork - using DVI, VisionWeb, or other online ordering system for sending orders to lab
    2. schedule employees to come in & get off work at different times or half days to meet patient needs instead of all coming in at the same time (ex. 8am-5pm, 10am-7pm, 11am-4pm)
    3. make barcodes or item #'s for all frames to better track inventory, sales history, theft, etc.
    4. create an opening and closing checklist to make sure the optical is ready for the next day's business - make sure it is completed daily
    5. figure out what tasks you spend the most time on and come up with ways to make them less time consuming without affecting quality

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    a few things we did at our shop is tracking slip on all orders this way we know at what stage the job is, when it was ordered with the patient, when the optician ordered it, what lap when it came in, and when we called and talked to patient or left a message. we staple it to the file so no matter who looks at the order in the filing cabinet they know the basics about the order
    We also implemented a similar bag like storage pharmacy style for complete orders.
    We also took a look at what lab we used and the turn around time. The less time out with orders means the less orders in process.
    flexible scheduling as well as having someone with a definite undisrupted block of time to do the ONLINE ordering. This has also eliminated a lot of mistakes.
    always just looking to see what can be done to make it easier as well.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    We switched to the hanging bag system, like they use in pharmacies, and the staff couldn't believe the difference.
    wow interesting. haven't seen this in optical before. I will certainly have to look into this. Three different offices I've been in and all utilize the ol' stack-o-trays method.

Thanks for the feedback. I do quite like the idea of a blocked off time for online entry. Sometimes it can feel as if it takes 2 hours to complete an order when pulled away for various other tasks.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fire the deadbeats.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it's interesting there's such a disconnect between you and your doc regarding your perceptions of how efficient you run. Instead of trying to guess at what you should say/present, maybe you could ask for some of his/her input on what they're thinking before the meeting so you can plan and come up with ideas.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    I think it's interesting there's such a disconnect between you and your doc regarding your perceptions of how efficient you run. Instead of trying to guess at what you should say/present, maybe you could ask for some of his/her input on what they're thinking before the meeting so you can plan and come up with ideas.
    ^ This.

Ideally the dispensary would already be efficient. If he thinks people are slacking off or doing things in an untimely manner then you should tell him the plan is to dish out more money and pay for higher-quality people.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    Ideally the dispensary would already be efficient. If he thinks people are slacking off or doing things in an untimely manner then you should tell him the plan is to dish out more money and pay for higher-quality people.
    Wow!! I guess not many here believe in continuous improvement. Things can always be made better, and it is a sign of good management that they ask their employees how to help accomplish that, rather than just cram some stupid ideas down everyone's throat without getting any input.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    Wow!! I guess not many here believe in continuous improvement. Things can always be made better, and it is a sign of good management that they ask their employees how to help accomplish that, rather than just cram some stupid ideas down everyone's throat without getting any input.
    Thanks for sharing this.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I started at the optical I currently work the most difficult thing I noticed was the lack of training for new employees. No one took the time to show me how to use office mate. Its a very complex system with a million moving parts. I had to learn by mistake which is no way to train a new employee. Ill be honest I wanted to quit more then I wanted to stay and learn. If you want your office to run smooth, be sure all of the employees understand every moving part of their job in its entirety. If I understand how to so something and why im doing it I will be less likely to make mistakes and I will be able to complete the task much faster then if I do not understand. Training is key. Next, I learned about accountability when I worked at LC. This may be dating myself ( I dated myself once I had a wonderful time!) but this is when they tried to employ the Oz principle in their chain. If your not familiar Ill give you a brief explanation. Imagine an line. Above the line is See it, own it, solve it and do it. This is very simple. If you see a problem, own it. Figure out how to resolve whatever the problem is and then put your plan into action. Below the lines are crippling attitudes like Wait and see, confusion/tell me what to do, its not my job, finger pointing, cover your tail and ignore/deny. Im sure you've seen some of below the line in every office. Now if everyone is on board with this then things sure get done and done right. Mistakes are made of course, but everyone makes mistakes and that's ok as long as we learn from them. If you are the only one that practices this...then its a lot of work for you. Finally, I might recommend you have some fun in the office to ensure that moral is boosted and everyone likes to come to work. Make it fun! If you get up and go to a job that you hate you are less likely to be productive then if you go to a job that you like to do. Pizza Friday, Margarita Monday, no tie tuseday.....something......anything..... well, you get the idea. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oz-Principle-Diagram.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	11013 Keep in mind these are global ideas.

Addendum: I was shocked at the ordering process at this office. It was my understanding that most opticals have one or two.....maybe three labs they work with. We have 7. This is ridiculous. Every process to order lenses is different and any mistake costs money. We have 5 people dedicated to ordering and billing and things still get tangled up. Take a look at your processes. can they be simplified? in this case Im absolutely, positively sure we could simplify things here at our office. Will that happen? Short answer is no /sadface
    Last edited by chaoticneutral; 05-17-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    (I dated myself once I had a wonderful time!)
    I don't know where you live, but I believe that is illegal in Alabama.

Ill give you a brief explanation. Imagine an line.........
    Breach of contract.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I started at the optical I currently work the most difficult thing I noticed was the lack of training for new employees. No one took the time to show me how to use office mate. Its a very complex system with a million moving parts. I had to learn by mistake which is no way to train a new employee. Ill be honest I wanted to quit more then I wanted to stay and learn. If you want your office to run smooth, be sure all of the employees understand every moving part of their job in its entirety. If I understand how to so something and why im doing it I will be less likely to make mistakes and I will be able to complete the task much faster then if I do not understand. Training is key. Next, I learned about accountability when I worked at LC. This may be dating myself ( I dated myself once I had a wonderful time!) but this is when they tried to employ the Oz principle in their chain. If your not familiar Ill give you a brief explanation. Imagine an line. Above the line is See it, own it, solve it and do it. This is very simple. If you see a problem, own it. Figure out how to resolve whatever the problem is and then put your plan into action. Below the lines are crippling attitudes like Wait and see, confusion/tell me what to do, its not my job, finger pointing, cover your tail and ignore/deny. Im sure you've seen some of below the line in every office. Now if everyone is on board with this then things sure get done and done right. Mistakes are made of course, but everyone makes mistakes and that's ok as long as we learn from them. If you are the only one that practices this...then its a lot of work for you. Finally, I might recommend you have some fun in the office to ensure that moral is boosted and everyone likes to come to work. Make it fun! If you get up and go to a job that you hate you are less likely to be productive then if you go to a job that you like to do. Pizza Friday, Margarita Monday, no tie tuseday.....something......anything..... well, you get the idea. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oz-Principle-Diagram.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	11013 Keep in mind these are global ideas.

Addendum: I was shocked at the ordering process at this office. It was my understanding that most opticals have one or two.....maybe three labs they work with. We have 7. This is ridiculous. Every process to order lenses is different and any mistake costs money. We have 5 people dedicated to ordering and billing and things still get tangled up. Take a look at your processes. can they be simplified? in this case Im absolutely, positively sure we could simplify things here at our office. Will that happen? Short answer is no /sadface
    Training is good. Paragraphs are good also.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Training is good. Paragraphs are good also.
    paragraphs are for the unimaginative

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    Breach of contract.
    everyones a critic

Thread Information