Thread: I am going for my state certification in New York and need advice please!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I am going for my state certification in New York and need advice please!!!

I have a semester left in order to get my associates in opthalmic dispensing. I am also planning to take the ABO and the NY state practical exam later this year.

Am I wasting my time getting my certification and working as an optician? The school and licensing stuff will cost me around $6,000. Relative to what opticians make in New York (NYC and Long Island) is this worth it? I already have most of the school done and just need to take some summer courses and I am done.

Advice please!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why stop now? Go for it; you have already invested. Get your return for your investment. I still think this industry is great.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm in western NY so I can't speak to salaries in NYC/Lone Island but I can tell you I've been a licensed optician for close to 40 years and have enjoyed every one of them. I'm not rich but have made what I consider a decent living. Most of all I have formed a great relationship with a huge patient base who make me feel like my career choice has made a positive difference in their life. I have families that I see 3 and sometimes 4 generations. Are there days when I just can't wait to close the door and go home? Sure, but they're few and far between. If you like working with people and making a difference then by all means finish your education and join us.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by danmdphd View Post
    I have a semester left in order to get my associates in opthalmic dispensing. I am also planning to take the ABO and the NY state practical exam later this year.

Am I wasting my time getting my certification and working as an optician? The school and licensing stuff will cost me around $6,000. Relative to what opticians make in New York (NYC and Long Island) is this worth it? I already have most of the school done and just need to take some summer courses and I am done.

Advice please!!!
    OK - from what I gather you haven't taken the ABO yet (part of the NY licensing process) so that will probably happen later this month or you will not be eligible for the Fall practical. You are probably at TCI, or City Tech in Brooklyn (yeah...the old name, but I don't know what they call it now). Anyway, to answer your question, yes it is worth it, especially if you are working down-state, or plan to eventually become an owner. I have been out of the NYC Metro area for 10 years, but the going rate then for "license eligible" staffers was about 38K per annum. If you had a license and were willing to work in the high end shops in Manhattan, the $$$ increased. Right now I am in the Syracuse area, and the going rate for licensed and experienced opticians is quite a bit less ($25 +/- per hour, but many options for commission, benefits etc). But - living costs are very low here. You can rent a pretty nice house for $600 - $900 per month in the suburbs. If you plan on eventual ownership.... you are only limited by yourself!
    Good luck!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    OK - from what I gather you haven't taken the ABO yet (part of the NY licensing process) so that will probably happen later this month or you will not be eligible for the Fall practical. You are probably at TCI, or City Tech in Brooklyn (yeah...the old name, but I don't know what they call it now). Anyway, to answer your question, yes it is worth it, especially if you are working down-state, or plan to eventually become an owner. I have been out of the NYC Metro area for 10 years, but the going rate then for "license eligible" staffers was about 38K per annum. If you had a license and were willing to work in the high end shops in Manhattan, the $$$ increased. Right now I am in the Syracuse area, and the going rate for licensed and experienced opticians is quite a bit less ($25 +/- per hour, but many options for commission, benefits etc). But - living costs are very low here. You can rent a pretty nice house for $600 - $900 per month in the suburbs. If you plan on eventual ownership.... you are only limited by yourself!
    Good luck!
    I also used to live in a Syracuse suburb, and with an ABO cert and NYS license and ten years exp, I was making nowhere $25/hr, not even half that. I moved to an unlicensed state (TX) where they paid more. It all depends on where you are and how far you are willing to travel. I would go for the education - it never hurts to be educated and you can always take it with you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobie View Post
    I also used to live in a Syracuse suburb, and with an ABO cert and NYS license and ten years exp, I was making nowhere $25/hr, not even half that. I moved to an unlicensed state (TX) where they paid more. It all depends on where you are and how far you are willing to travel. I would go for the education - it never hurts to be educated and you can always take it with you.
    All I can say is you must have been at the wrong office/chain at the wrong time. I don't know any licensed opticians who work for $12.50 per hour (unless they work for America's Worst). Visionworks pays way more than that, and they also offer commissions. Private practices in the area start at about $16 for apprentice opticians, and average around $28 for licensed and contact lens certified opticians.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I STRONGLY urge you to complete your associate's degree now and don't put it off, time gets away from you quick. A college degree will make you more marketable when looking for jobs. I would hire an Optician with a degree and a little experience over one with just experience who completed an apprenticeship. I do think work experience is very important as well. Working part-time in the optical field while attending schools is the best of both worlds in my opinion. Good luck!

Thread Information