Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OptiBoard today has an Alexa ranking of 136,136 .....................................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper OptiBoard today has an Alexa ranking of 136,136 .....................................

Today being a Sunday I am going to start a non controversial thread which hopefully will not end and dye with insults being thrown on OptiBoards up and down sides.

What Makes A Successful Optical Website With Top Rankings ?

I have looked at so many beautiful and georgous websites in the optical trade, from manufacturers
    to distributors and retailers and then applied search engine tools to measure their popularity and they just were nowhere. If a website can not attract a large amount of search engines it will not come up with a theme on a GOOGLE search within the first 2 or 3 pages.

If a website is not listed within these first few pages it will not be visited as people will not look at hundreds of listings. So the fight is about a position in the first 2 or 3 page. GOOGLE is fed by a some over 2000 search engines.

http://alexa.com is todays largest polpularity judge on website rankings based on visitors going to a site. They rank a site as for example at 100,000 which means there are that many better visited sites on a world wide basis. With over 15 million websites listed on the net, this would be a superb rating.

OptiBoard today has a ranking of 136,136, and in the USA of 29,238 which are fantastic results.
    Sure OptiBoard enjoys a lot of traffic with many more lookers than posters.

When going on some optical retailers
    superbly designed site, we get figures as 0. Another one is in the 11,000,000.

You can also check several search engines on one page by going on
    http://push2check.net/

I compiled a list of 930 optical websites and their alexa ratings with the help of OptiBoard members starting in 2004 and incorporated it in my own website at http://optochemicals.com/web_listing.htm

You can see that optical retail sites are heavily neglected in the way of getting them a good popularity.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have a great Sunday!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just went to look at our ranking and this is a pay service? What is the deal with a ranking you must pay for?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most normal folks are far more concerned with what the Mr Google has to say about "rankings". The rest is just fluff to try and boost a certain someone's own personal page here. It's an activity seen on Optiboard for yeas and years.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

just went to look at our ranking and this is a pay service? What is the deal with a ranking you must pay for?
    Craig..............it is not a pay service. Once you register your site it will include it. However for pay they will help you gety more traffic against pay. I have never paid a cent to them on my own websites.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Most normal folks are far more concerned ............................................

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

Most normal folks are far more concerned with what the Mr Google has to say about "rankings". The rest is just fluff to try and boost a certain someone's own personal page here. It's an activity seen on Optiboard for yeas and years.

Obviously you must consider yourself classified " under more normal people" which are the ones that take any information given to them as the golden rule, without being interested how that information got there and was worked on. Start reading up on the subject .....................

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Meaningless.

THE ONLY REASON that number is high is because a certain someone uses this site to rank his own site higher.

This website is for professionals only. Website rankings are useful for generalist and consumer-based websites, not websites designed and used only for inter-professional communication.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper ....................and I guess that I was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Today being a Sunday I am going to start a non controversial thread which hopefully will not end and dye with insults being thrown on OptiBoards up and down sides.

....................and I guess that I was wrong with my assumprion last Sunday.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I don't see any insults. Stating a fact isn't an insult last time I looked. Unless, of course, the truth is insulting to the original poster.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris:

Obviously you must consider yourself classified " under more normal people" which are the ones that take any information given to them as the golden rule, without being interested how that information got there and was worked on. Start reading up on the subject .....................
    Chris:
    ....................and I guess that I was wrong with my assumption last Sunday.
    Chris, are you for real?? Is your day really that empty that you need to fabricate controversy/drama where none exists? Really?

You seem like a pretty healthy guy...have you considered taking up golf?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Whats wrong with a paid subscriber promoting his business here? He sells to optical professionals. Buy from him or not...but at least he is putting his business out there.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Whats wrong with a paid subscriber promoting his business here? He sells to optical professionals. Buy from him or not...but at least he is putting his business out there.
    Capitalism rocks! Who said anything about anything being wrong with promoting a business here?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Who said anything about anything being ..........................................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

Capitalism rocks! Who said anything about anything being wrong with promoting a business here?

Nobody is and has promoted any website on this thread.

It was purely a reminder that a lot of money is poured into websites to make them look perfect and beautiful, but they are ranked poorly in traffic, because they are not found on a search of what the consumer is looking for.

By submitting your own website to some search engines on a regular basis, that can easily be found on a Google search, you can easily promote your own site to get it up in rankings which will get it up in the many listings which will be fed to Google.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper have you considered taking up golf? .............................

Chris:
    You seem like a pretty healthy guy...have you considered taking up golf?

I live an golf course and have to duck sometimes so I won't get hit by stray balls.

For the rest see above post.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By submitting your own website to some search engines on a regular basis, that can easily be found on a Google search, you can easily promote your own site to get it up in rankings which will get it up in the many listings which will be fed to Google.

Interesting.
    Last edited by Fezz; 05-01-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This is the easiest, as well as the cheapest way to promote yourself, but for those of us in retail, the biggest component of winning the game is just showing up!

In my immediate area, most of my competition either have no web presence, or they have cut/past sites given to them by their yellow pages, vendors, or OD coffee clubs. Many of them are so boring and bland they could be used as sleep aids.

I just sent a link to my staff of one of my competitor's sites. On his (cookie cutter) site he has two links to the staff; one is "Professional Staff" (A full page for the OD) and the other link is "Friendly Staff" (a page for his optician/stylist, his insurance "girl", and his receptionist) I guess you can't be both friendly and professional, or, you must be the doctor to be considered a professional in that office.

On his site, he goes on to describe his "Friendly" staff: "Friendly (Fezz) is our "jack of all trades". She is involved in every aspect of patient care."
    Here's the description that gets the gem of the day award: Lovable (Johns) enjoys working with our patients and goes out of her way to make our patients' visit a pleasurable experience." Are you KIDDING ME??? Who describes their staff members as "loveable"???

I told my staff that I am going to take a cue from my competition and describe them as well. I asked for volunteers as to who wanted to be friendly, loveable, sexy, flirty, naughty, and so on.

Yeah...it doesn't take much to have a decent web presence; at least not at this stage in the game.

(Special thanks to Harry Chilling who talked me into doing my own website a few years ago, and made me realize just how simple it is)

Occupation

Redhot Jumper There are currently 590 users online .........................................

This is the easiest, as well as the cheapest way to promote yourself, but for those of us in retail, the biggest component of winning the game is just showing up!

(Special thanks to Harry Chilling who talked me into doing my own website a few years ago, and made me realize just how simple it is)

Ok now that you know how to make a website, expensive or cheap, nice or ugly you want people to find it and go on it.

Search engines over 2000 of them can not read paintings and photographs, they only understand text. People do like photographs and pictures, so you put them in sparingly, but not to get search
    engine results.

Right now if you go on Optiboards list:

Currently Active Users

There are currently
    590 users online. 20 members and 570 guests

and you click on the line you will see all the 590 . You will also see on page 2 many lines that list users, that there is a Baidu Spider on many places. Spiders as this one collect information for any reasons possible.

The more interesting a site is, the more spiders it will attract and improve listings of such a site.

Baidu Spider 10:33 AM Viewing IndexOptiBoard Discussion Forum

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The more interesting a site is, the more spiders it will attract and improve listings of such a site.

Baidu Spider 10:33 AM Viewing IndexOptiBoard Discussion Forum

Ok..I think I've got it. Bugs are bad, but spiders are good.

Occupation

Baidu Spider .........................................

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baidu, Inc. (Chinese: ; pinyin: Bǎidù, pronounced BY-doo in English), incorporated on January 18, 2000, is a Chinese web services company headquartered in the Baidu Campus in Haidian District in Beijing.[5]
    Baidu offers many services, including a Chinese language-search engine for websites, audio files, and images. Baidu offers 57 search and community services including Baidu Baike, an online collaboratively built encyclopedia, and a searchable, keyword-based discussion forum.[6] Baidu was established in 2000 by Robin Li and Eric Xu. Both of the co-founders are Chinese nationals who studied and worked overseas before returning to China. In October 2012, Baidu ranked 5th overall in the Alexa Internet rankings.[7] During Q4 of 2010, it is estimated that there were 4.02 billion search queries in China of which Baidu had a market share of 56.6%. China's Internet-search revenue share in second quarter 2011 by Baidu is 76%[8] In December 2007, Baidu became the first Chinese company to be included in the NASDAQ-100 index.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Interesting.

S-H-A-M-E-L-E-S-S-L-Y...

Bingo!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper To attract local visitors to a site ...................

Each search engine company sends out free Newsletters every month with the best advise you can get
    on how to manage and promote a website.

If my target would be a local population, add some page or pages of local interest to you site and keep them updated as much as possible. The theme could be local sports and other local happenings.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Don't. Feed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Nobody is and has promoted any website on this thread.

It was purely a reminder that a lot of money is poured into websites to make them look perfect and beautiful, but they are ranked poorly in traffic, because they are not found on a search of what the consumer is looking for.

The thing that initially made Google famous and vaulted them above Yahoo and other search engines, is that Google ranked search results based on how many times a website link appeared as a link in other websites. So I would take that into consideration also when trying to promote a website in Google.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post

The thing that initially made Google famous and vaulted them above Yahoo and other search engines, is that Google ranked search results based on how many times a website link appeared as a link in other websites. So I would take that into consideration also when trying to promote a website in Google.

You'r totally correct and you can check any website address for backlinks on a multiple result site at:
    http://push2check.net/

there is the link to Google Tools at:
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmas...=bm&authuser=0

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Don't. Feed.
    Word.

Thread Information