Thread: Interested in learning more about Camber?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Interested in learning more about Camber?

Good Morning Optiboard!

Over the last few months there has been some buzz about the new lens technology developed jointly between Younger and IOT called Camber. For those of you who don't know about Camber, its a variable front curve PAL which combines the advantages of conventional progressives, and the advantages to digital compensated designs. To get more details, including which labs are currently approved to produce these lenses I invite you to check out www.camberlens.com and let us know what you think!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I see Camber also made the cover of the March/April Optical Lab Products Magazine ( http://opticallabproducts.epubxp.com/title/13850 )
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have met with a VSP rep who lauds this design. I've been given a big ol' blank.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Better than making the cover of a trade magazine, we have the Camber making it to the patient level with incredible success! You probably won't get the initial WOW if the patient is already wearing an IOT design done correctly, but after wearing the Camber, we have had comments that it is hard to go back. The design speaks for itself.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters
    Laramy-K Optical

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have met with a VSP rep who lauds this design. I've been given a big ol' blank.
    Nothing like resurrecting an old thread, but I distinctly recall the VSP rep I used to work with at my last job telling me about the benefits of the "cascading variable base curves" of their PLX line. Basically, all of the benefits I recall the VSP rep mentioning read verbatim from IOT's website of the Camber lens in addition to the availability of mobile versions of their PALs.

Since VSP discontinued the PLX line in favor of their Via line (probably in attempt to simplify PAL ordering, what with all those variable corridor lengths of the PLX), I wonder if the Via is also an IOT design? Recent posts here on the ol' Optiboard suggest that VSP does not work in an official capacity with IOT, but I wouldn't be surprised if Via is just a re-branded Alpha series.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hello,
    I thought one of the great benefits of camber technology was that it would make a plus lens flatter but appears that the base curve will be the same as any other freeform lens .
    I am doing a prescription +7.00 -1,25 X 95 add 1.75 on a 1.67 my lab has said the base will be 7.00 which is the same as a normal digital lens.
    Just wondered if 7 base looks correct and what part of F1 it is measured at ie the middle? so I assume the base curve will change going towards the top of the lens and of course definitely through the inter/reading part
    I do need to find some papers to look into this further but just need a quick answer meanwhile
    Hope that made sense
    Alan

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Earnest question: what is a base curve on a freeform PAL, anyway? Is there such a thing?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by apaul View Post
    Hello,
    I thought one of the great benefits of camber technology was that it would make a plus lens flatter but appears that the base curve will be the same as any other freeform lens .
    I am doing a prescription +7.00 -1,25 X 95 add 1.75 on a 1.67 my lab has said the base will be 7.00 which is the same as a normal digital lens.
    Just wondered if 7 base looks correct and what part of F1 it is measured at ie the middle? so I assume the base curve will change going towards the top of the lens and of course definitely through the inter/reading part
    I do need to find some papers to look into this further but just need a quick answer meanwhile
    Hope that made sense
    Alan
    Have to answer my own question, in this case the base curve will be 7.00 which will be the "thickest (reading) part of the lens then as you go up the curve will decrease the B value is 35 so I reckon the top part will end up being approx base curve of 5.50
    correct me if i'm wrong .......please!
    thanks!

Thread Information