Thread: OAKLEY

Ken
    I know that some of you have problems with the pricing structure of Oakley glasses. I feel that the pricing is due to the patents in regards to every aspect of the frame and lenses. I am not an optometrist so I am interested to know how Oakley lenses compare to optical quality lenses of other vendors. Advanced form of polycarb as the Plutonite lens is. Frames maxxed out for durability with their unbreakableness. Oakley is always over the top and when anyone wants to purchase this brand they are not just purchasing glasses, they are purchasing technology and all the ups and downs that go with it.

------------------

OptiBoard Apprentice

Unhappy

Frames maxed out for durability? In my experience with Oakley, people like the lenses but the frames are lacking in the durability arena. Eddie Bauer has a line of sunglasses out that have the same (or similar) lenses AND durable frames. That may be the way to go.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

They're expensive, but I've always been a fan of Costa Del Mars. I like polarized glass, and the frames are guaranteed for life. We have a Costa banner in front of our optical, and we get a regular smattering of guys that come into our optical just because they saw the sign while driving by...

Pete

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea

I just won't sell sunglasses that you can buy in the bicycle shop down the street.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oakley's are not durable sunglasses! Just ask your patients, they will tell you that they have had 3-4 Oakley's to break (they keep buying the product for some reason) but all they have to do is send them back to Oakley to have them fixed (along with $10.00 - $20.00 for each repair!). The optics in no way, shape or form compare to Maui Jim or Costa Del Mar. We just sent all of our Oakley's back and dropped the entire line because of Oakley's horrible customer service to us retailer's and the price fixing issue. I don't promote discounts on any of my eyewear by any means but if I have a repeat customer to buy multiple pairs of glasses and I choose to give a 10% discount then I don't want to be told by Oakley that I can't do that. Sorry to seem to be venting but we have had a HORRIBLE experience with Oakley and like I said, the quality is not superior by any means. If someone does want Poly for sports specific hobbies, check out Maui's new sport line which is polycarb polarized and is doing very well. Hope this helps and good luck!

[This message has been edited by Vicki (edited 10-20-2000).]

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Vicki,

As far as Oakley's price fixing goes, I was under the impression that Maui Jim does it as well. At least they won't allow us to have sales on or discount their product. Neither will Costa Del Mar, Ray Ban, or Revo. Seems to be a trend going on with the sunglass companies.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pam:
    You are correct. Maui Jim, Ray Ban, Revo et al. are now having you sign agreements not to sell their eyewear below the MSRP.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I thought "fair Trade" was outlawed years ago. I like the price policies, because it puts me on an even playing field with the big boys.
    As far as Oakley goes, I don't lovethem but won't give them up for a minute! I'm one of the few rx accounts in NH, and every one that has been referred by THEIR website has spent an average of $400 in additional eyewear.
    THIS IS ADVERTISING I CAN"T BUY!!!
    Also, everytime an Oakley breaks, they replace it generally no questions asked.
    The only bad part is that they prefer the consumer doit.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy

There are a lot of products that are $ 20.00 Products (most jeans for example) that retail for many times this because young people have a cult following for them. I suppose it's our chance to rip them off and have them smile about it. But let's not ascribe mystical qualities for these products to justify ourselves.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Oakleys used to be pretty exclusive, except for sunglass hut, only a very elite few were allowed distributorships of Oakleys, every kid in our scout troop wanted them a few years back. then we got to carry them, and nobody bought them! they just sat. they finally just bought back our inventory. I was so disappointed. our clientele is mostly "mature" and Varilux wearers, so that eliminated most of our clients from Oakley lenses (SV). They are a unique product and good people to deal with, but our clients could walk across the steet and get them at a sunglass hut, for the same price. I haven't missed them, if I was in the middle of new hampshire, and everybody else in town didn't have them, they would have been good.

Regarding frames, a consultant on the Oakley-Nike lawsuit told me that Oakley's resin does not resist chemicals very well. This is why people's sweat makes the frames break so often. The "XYZ" optics are also based on a 1906 head form with 0 prism at 10 feet above the horizon.
    Any one else heard of this?

Also, Bike shops are now selling lots! of Rudy Project glasses. That's where Oakley had a good start.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It will be interesting to see just what happens now that the boys from the Evil Empire ........read that Luxottica...... has made it their mission in life to grind Oakleys into the dust!:bbg:

OptiBoard Professional
    Eyeman Maui Jim is doing the same thing. You can buy them in
    almost every 5 and dime now. Maui is going the same way Rayban
    did years ago when they tried to sell to ever body.:D

Thread Information