Thread: My new Zeiss Individual

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My new Zeiss Individual

I have received my new Rx (unchanged) with Zeiss Individual 2. It's very clear but no real difference from my Toledo Optical IOT designed Lenses. In fact, computer and near are much better with the IOT design. Zeiss needs to add a short corridor

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like you should have ordered the intermediate version of the new Individual 2 (2I); or the 2N option if needed. I have a few orders out but haven't dispensed the Zeiss 2 lens yet so I can't say I have any true feedback on the varying corridors offered.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How much is Zeiss compared to IOT? 1/2 or less the cost I am guessing.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    How much is Zeiss compared to IOT? 1/2 or less the cost I am guessing.
    It's not half- about 2/3 the cost.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Zeiss needs to add a short corridor
    ZEISS Individual has a variable corridor length based on the fitting height, down to a height of 13 mm. You can also order the Individual 2N (Near), which has a slightly shorter corridor length than the standard design, if you prefer a higher near zone. Or you could go with Progressive Choice Plus, which allows you to specify the corridor length.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    ZEISS Individual has a variable corridor length based on the fitting height, down to a height of 13 mm. You can also order the Individual 2N (Near), which has a slightly shorter corridor length than the standard design, if you prefer a higher near zone. Or you could go with Progressive Choice Plus, which allows you to specify the corridor length.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Four (plus one) questions please.

1. At what fitting point height (including frame shape and near decentration) does the variable corridor Individual 2 stop increasing in length?

2. The Choice+ and INDV 2 both have variable corridors- any other differences besides the INDV 2's 2N and 2I PAL designs options?

3. Is the fundamental PAL design the same between the Choice and the INDV2 Balanced?

4. The Choice has 13, 15, 17, 19 and 21mm selectable fitting heights. I wear an Auto 2 fixed 18. The Shamir says the corridor length is 13mm, defined as the distance from the fitting point to 100% of the add power. I'm going to trial the Choice in a fixed length. Which length should I choose that would come as close as possible to the Auto 2 18' corridor length?

5. I understand C.O.R.E. Does it also take into account the prismatic image displacement with higher plus and minus lenses?
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 06-20-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Robert,

1. At what fitting point height (including frame shape and near decentration) does the variable corridor Individual 2 stop increasing in length?
    At 19 mm and higher, the corridor length remains the same. The near reference point distance is 18 mm and the corridor length to 85% of the add power is 14 mm.

2. The Choice+ and INDV 2 both have variable corridors- any other differences besides the INDV 2's 2N and 2I PAL designs options?
    Individual 2 offers the two additional lens design options, customization for the position of wear, more precise calculation of the center of rotation distance, and personalized engravings.

3. Is the fundamental PAL design the same between the Choice and the INDV2 Balanced?
    The basic lens design "fingerprint" or distribution of power and astigmatism is essentially the same.

4. I wear an Auto 2 fixed 18. The Shamir says the corridor length is 13mm... I'm going to trial the Choice... Which length should I choose
    Choice 17 would probably provide you with the closest corridor length. However, the design geometry differs between the two lenses, so you will not necessarily experience the same visual experience, even if you match corridor lengths.

5. I understand C.O.R.E. Does it also take into account the prismatic image displacement with higher plus and minus lenses?
    CORE technology calculates the estimated center of ocular rotation based upon the prescription. So, it compensates for the intersection of the line of sight with the lens as a function of CoR as a function of Rx. The standard ZEISS optical optimization process attempts to preserve the prismatic effects as a function of prescription.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Darryl. You da man!
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information