Thread: THOUGHTS ON Shamir Debuts Rapid Service Lab Concept to Service Local ECPs

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

THOUGHTS ON Shamir Debuts Rapid Service Lab Concept to Service Local ECPs

Shamir Debuts Rapid Service Lab Concept to Service Local ECPs - See more at: http://www.visionmonday.com/latest-n....g8EEZ8Jj.dpuf

PHILADELPHIA—In an effort to help local eyecare professionals compete with online eyewear vendors, Shamir has developed a new approach to providing prescription laboratory service that is predicated on delivering lenses in three hours or less.

“Our concept is to provide unprecedented fast service, using local, high quality production,” explained Hilaire van der Veen, the Shamir executive who serves chief operating officer of the new lab venture, known as InoTime. “Patients don’t like shopping for glasses, then walking out without their purchase and getting it six days later. We want to change and make it easy for them.”

InoTime’s approach involves setting up small, low volume labs in local markets that are specially equipped to process lenses faster than conventional labs. Satisloh is equipping the labs with generators, edgers and coating equipment that have a small footprint but are designed for fast throughput. InoTime is using bicycle messengers to deliver the finished glasses to the ECP’s office, or, if the ECP prefers, to the patient.

InoTime promotes itself to consumers through the local eyecare practices and optical retail locations it services, as well as through social media. “We’ll give the customers the address so they can go to the ECP’s office, and the ECPs website can serve as a gateway to the Inotime site,” said van der Veen. Consumers can use InoTime’s smartphone app to track the progress of their glasses, which InoTime promises to deliver in two to three hours.

After testing the InoTime concept in Israel, where Shamir is based, the company opened its first U.S. InoTime lab last month in Philadelphia. It is currently servicing about 60 eyecare practices and retail locations in the city. Shamir intends to expand to other markets across the U.S., but is sticking to the East Coast during the company’s start-up phase, according to van der Veen, who is pictured at InoTime’s Philadelpha lab along with Satisloh’s Larry Clarke (center) and InoTime CEO Danny Sisso, right.

“Our goal is to create a worldwide brand for this product, like Apple or Starbucks,” he told VMail. - See more at: http://www.visionmonday.com/latest-n....g8EEZ8Jj.dpuf

PHILADELPHIA—In an effort to help local eyecare professionals compete with online eyewear vendors, Shamir has developed a new approach to providing prescription laboratory service that is predicated on delivering lenses in three hours or less.

“Our concept is to provide unprecedented fast service, using local, high quality production,” explained Hilaire van der Veen, the Shamir executive who serves chief operating officer of the new lab venture, known as InoTime. “Patients don’t like shopping for glasses, then walking out without their purchase and getting it six days later. We want to change and make it easy for them.”

InoTime’s approach involves setting up small, low volume labs in local markets that are specially equipped to process lenses faster than conventional labs. Satisloh is equipping the labs with generators, edgers and coating equipment that have a small footprint but are designed for fast throughput. InoTime is using bicycle messengers to deliver the finished glasses to the ECP’s office, or, if the ECP prefers, to the patient.

InoTime promotes itself to consumers through the local eyecare practices and optical retail locations it services, as well as through social media. “We’ll give the customers the address so they can go to the ECP’s office, and the ECPs website can serve as a gateway to the Inotime site,” said van der Veen. Consumers can use InoTime’s smartphone app to track the progress of their glasses, which InoTime promises to deliver in two to three hours.

After testing the InoTime concept in Israel, where Shamir is based, the company opened its first U.S. InoTime lab last month in Philadelphia. It is currently servicing about 60 eyecare practices and retail locations in the city. Shamir intends to expand to other markets across the U.S., but is sticking to the East Coast during the company’s start-up phase, according to van der Veen, who is pictured at InoTime’s Philadelpha lab along with Satisloh’s Larry Clarke (center) and InoTime CEO Danny Sisso, right.

“Our goal is to create a worldwide brand for this product, like Apple or Starbucks,” he told VMail. - See more at: http://www.visionmonday.com/latest-n....g8EEZ8Jj.dpuf
    Last edited by LENNY; 04-08-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: DOUBLE

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    InoTime is using bicycle messengers to deliver the finished glasses to the ECP’s office, or, if the ECP prefers, to the patient.

Not satisfied with just gathering up those COA's, they'll go straight to the patient. This bears watching.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The spiders web is getting organized ................................................

Quote Originally Posted by [FONT=verdana
    Judy Canty[/FONT]]

InoTime is using bicycle messengers to deliver the finished glasses to the ECP’s office,

or, if the ECP prefers, to the patient.

Not satisfied with just gathering up those COA's, they'll go straight to the patient. This

bears watching.

Yes this bears watching for sure. Shamir is not an independent, it is in the big E family. The superfast lab is a good idea, but if they use them also as online opticals local labs, their onliners might be getting glasses faster to the consumer than the stores.

I just read an article by Cathy in 2010 and it makes all sense :

http://www.theopticalvisionsite.com/.../#.U0Q3xvldUXE

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try riding a bicycle around Houston! If you were cruising at 20 mph it would take you 4 hours to get across town! That's if you make it. There are hardly any bike paths here, you have the redneck drivers ready to make you buzzard food.

There are plenty of labs that can give 24 hr service on more than Shamir products. I've almost never had the need for 3 hour service. Tough to believe there are 60 locations in Philly that need to utilize this service.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Big cities have bicycle messenger services that do a very effective job of getting from point A to point B in an amazingly short amount of time. They're concentrating on the East Coast where those services are well-entrenched. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. It still bears watching.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am curious as to why they picked Philly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Because NYC was too big? Proximity to PCO? Who knows.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If cycling in Philly is anything remotely close to sensitive Seattle and with what little experience I have had with Philly divers we might call them shmeer carriers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think its not a bad Idea!
    I wonder how much involvement does E have in this venture...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Can't wait to see how the bike messenger handles adjustments or the client not being able to see right. Should be interesting but if they get the bugs out this model could be a game changer for big city optics.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Can't wait to see how the bike messenger handles adjustments or the client not being able to see right. Should be interesting but if they get the bugs out this model could be a game changer for big city optics.
    Back in the day nearly every city with a population over 250,000 had an AO and B&L lab in addition to the many independent labs. What goes around, comes around.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Back in the day nearly every city with a population over 250,000 had an AO and B&L lab in addition to the many independent labs. What goes around, comes around.
    I wonder how many jobs per day were done in the city with 250,000 population and 2 labs?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I wonder how many jobs per day were done in the city with 250,000 population and 2 labs?
    There are number of OptiBoarders who worked for AO or B&L lads. Hopefully some of them will check in with some numbers.

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Montreal: In my independent lab, mid 1960s to early 1980s, we did between 100 and 210 jobs a day. All glass.

We had 2 pickups (10am and 3pm) and deliveries by a central optical delivery service shared by all 10 labs and all frame companies in town, including National/Imperial, AO and B&L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never knew the number of jobs per day were produced at New City in VA Beach in the '70s, but I can attest to 2 pickups per day and one delivery service for us, Hilbert-Berdell, AO and B&L. At one time there were 6, I think, wholesale labs in the Tidewater area. We're down to 2, both owned by Essilor.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Good choice beween 2 competitors..................

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post

We're down to 2, both owned by Essilor.

Good choice beween 2 competitors....................if one is overloaded with work he can get the help of the other one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Good choice beween 2 competitors....................if one is overloaded with work he can get the help of the other one.
    Indeed they can. They're in the same building.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post

Indeed they can. They're in the same building.

Wow.......even better so they will get a discount from the delivery service because it is the same pickup adress

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    There is no intention of going straight to the patient or retail.
    "I'd rather not achieve immortality through my work, I'd rather achieve it by not dying" - Woody Allen

"From the sharks in the penthouse to the rats in the basement, it's not that far" -Kirsty McColl, "Walking Down Madison"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Concentration of ECP's in a populous but small in mileage area.
    "I'd rather not achieve immortality through my work, I'd rather achieve it by not dying" - Woody Allen

"From the sharks in the penthouse to the rats in the basement, it's not that far" -Kirsty McColl, "Walking Down Madison"

Occupation
    This thread is 2 years old...........maybe somebody that has used them in that time can inform OptiBoard members how well the system is working.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    This thread is 2 years old...........maybe somebody that has used them in that time can inform OptiBoard members how well the system is working.
    Shamir now has another Inotime lab in downtown Toronto. Only premium progressives with AR are available in the 3 hour time slot and an additional $50 charge to have it processed and delivered in that time window.

Makes you wonder how many offices/patients would even request that on average? Other than the odd emergency replacement, I can't imagine the demand is constant.

Occupation

Blue Jumper removal of that would make for some steady clients .............................

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Makes you wonder how many offices/patients would even request that on average? Other than the odd emergency replacement, I can't imagine the demand is constant.
    Maybe then you should ask yourself on the $ 50.00 charge and how constant this is.

I could see that the unofficial removal of that would make for some steady clients, and that is what you want.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Maybe then you should ask yourself on the $ 50.00 charge and how constant this is.

I could see that the unofficial removal of that would make for some steady clients, and that is what you want.
    As I am not affiliated in any way with Shamir, I have no idea if that cost is ever waived. I would doubt it though since when you do it once, they will expect it every time.

More concerning to me (if I were affiliated) is although the concept is innovative, it is also a huge leap of faith and capital investment into a market where branded premium progressives are declining due to more cost effective private label brands that are just as competent and comparable.

Global sourcing is on the rise and for good reason.

Thread Information