Thread: Patient is seeing a 'shadow/fingerprint' in one of her Progressive lenses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Patient is seeing a 'shadow/fingerprint' in one of her Progressive lenses.

So the patient is stating that she is seeing what she describes as a dark shadow, like a fingerprint in one of her progressive lenses...up to the left, in the left lens. She's worn progressives before, her RX distance-wise is somewhat mild at OD: plano, -0.25 x096 and OS: +0.50, -0.25, x093. She's got a pretty good sized frame with a B dimension of 39mm, Seg Height: 24mm, Eye size 52 with a +2.50 add power and PD of 30.0/31.0...It's an Essilor Natural in CR-39 (eyemed covered) Lens with SharpView AR. The patient is Female and 59yo.

Thoughts? Red Flags?

Chris

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    AR crazing? Looks like a fingerprint or smudge, sometimes hard to detect and noticeable only in the right light and particular angle. Other than than, can't imagine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm not clear on this. Do YOU see a defect in the lens? Or is the patient seeing a dark shadow or fingerprint in her vision?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do not see any defect in the lens. The patient is seeing a dark shadow/fingerprint in her vision...in the left lens up to the left.

-Chris

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll double-check for crazing...I haven't been able to detect any flaw in the lens to my eye...but, I'm not looking through them the way she is.

-Chris

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    AR crazing? Looks like a fingerprint or smudge, sometimes hard to detect and noticeable only in the right light and particular angle. Other than than, can't imagine.
    I've run into this before, where it would be super hard to see. Like stated...at just the right angle. Remade lens with no problems. Best I could think of too.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Is it possibly a reflection off the back surface? Have the patient stand where there is absolutely no light coming from the rear, and shade the side of the lens with their hands if necessary, to see if it is still there.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Is it possible she is noticing the progressive identifier when she's wearing the lens? "Up and to the left" doesn't exactly describe where the identifier should be but I've spoken with two people in the last couple weeks who have complained about being able to see the identifiers in the lenses when they're wearing them, both thought it was a smudge and only one of them realized it was actually what they called "writing on the lenses".

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Just to be clear this shadow/fingerprint is not there when the glx are off right? Just want to rule out vitreous/retinal detachments. If she sees it w/o her glx send her to the doc immediately. Otherwise, like other people said it could be the PAL ID's but unless the lens was laid up all crazy I don't know why she would see it in the upper left. Birefringence can cause shadow images to appear but that seems unlikely here also. The most likely candidate is coating defects like others have stated. Sometimes AR crazing can be localized and very subtle. Like a transparent "finger print". I would like very closely at the lens in different lighting and at every angle. I've had these issues before and sent it back to the lab for analysis upon which they found no problems. Later upon closer inspection and pat frustration, I was able to find subtle defects. Remake and no problems.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Appreciate all the responses...I don't think it's the markings...at any rate, we're moving forward with having the lenses remade...this time, no RX in the distance either...she absolutely hated the mild correction in the distance. They should be back any day...I'll keep you posted as to how she reacts to the new lenses.

Thanks again, Chris

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Again, the indication there could be a retinal issue is warranted, after ruling out crazing. Power should not inherently cause this, and if its a lens design issue it should be in both eyes. The slit lamp/bio microscope will show crazing better than anything.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll bring it to the Doc's attention. Thanks much. -Chris

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with the posters who have seen this before and requires just the right angle and light to see. Sometimes these are very obvious under a black light in a dark room.

If these were new a redo fixes it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've had this complaint once in a great while. Some of us in the optical have been able to see the smudge, and others, not. It's always been crazing from the chucking of the lens during edging. (too much pressure) It can be full circle, or just one small area of where the chuck held the lens. Remake with lower chucking pressure will eliminate the issue.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by icmor View Post
    We've had this complaint once in a great while. Some of us in the optical have been able to see the smudge, and others, not. It's always been crazing from the chucking of the lens during edging. (too much pressure) It can be full circle, or just one small area of where the chuck held the lens. Remake with lower chucking pressure will eliminate the issue.
    I've seen both. Sometimes it was away from the chucking points and have been told it's an AR application issue.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, the lenses were in fact redone...this time with Plano in the Distance and a 2.50 add...same coating. Have touched base with the patient and she reports that All is Well. So...it would appear, all is well.

-Chris

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I get this a lot if the backside of the lens is coated, but was not taped when edged. Clamp pressure on a backside coating can cause this and it looks just like a fingerprint. taping the back stopped this completely for me.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Assuming that it is a problem with the lenses and not their eyes, I've always found the "smudge" problem to be very fine crazing of the AR. Usually a pressure craze, so it really does look a lot like a fingerprint rather than a spiderwebbing heat craze. It can be exceptionally hard to see.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Have you made it over yet?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Have you made it over yet?
    See post #16.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep...all is well. Followed up with her again recently and all is well.

Thread Information