Thread: ZEISS wearer does not want intermediate

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ZEISS wearer does not want intermediate

Hey guys and gals ..we are a "Zeiss office". I have a pt who has worn the Ind2N and a Choice 17 but still complains that reading power is too low on the lens. Measurements were taken with pre-adjusted frame using I-terminal. I thought of putting her in a choice 13 and dropping the seg 1mm and increasing the add power a quarter attempting to get her to reading power sooner with shorter corridor. Like I said we use Zeiss lenses...any suggestions. THX

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    assuming distance was not a problem in the lenses, i think the Choice 13 sounds like it would work, probably even without bumping the add and dropping the height.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Hey guys and gals ..we are a "Zeiss office". I have a pt who has worn the Ind2N and a Choice 17 but still complains that reading power is too low on the lens. Measurements were taken with pre-adjusted frame using I-terminal. I thought of putting her in a choice 13 and dropping the seg 1mm and increasing the add power a quarter attempting to get her to reading power sooner with shorter corridor. Like I said we use Zeiss lenses...any suggestions. THX
    If a full and/or strong reading power is determined to be read at the center of the check circle(on grid), then what you propose should work. I would rethink dropping the seg height though, as that usually exacerbates the issue! You might get a better result, if you raise the height by 1 mm, and keep the same lens design presently in use. That would result in more intermediate availability.
    Eyes wide open

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this the same person from before, or is this a new client with the same problem? This is an unusual complaint for general purpose eyeglasses and healthy eyes.

Check the Rx. Check for unrealistic expectations. Consider task eyeglasses. Screen for unrealistic posture. Don't use the I-Terminal to measure the fitting height. Check the height in the chair, standing, and walking. Get them to relax. Arms free, relax the shoulders, pour them a glass of wine (none for you- yet). Check it again.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No it is a totally different person. She doesn't like the intermediate area of the lens. What it sounds like she would like is a FT without a line. The 6 or 7mm distance to get to the full reading power is a problem for her. NOW ...about that wine...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    How about the Shamir DUO bifocal coming in a month or so? Digital backside design, invisible bifocal with no intermediate. Much better design...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    According to the Optometry Times, Shamir DUO is available on Monday.

http://optometrytimes.modernmedicine...ine-shamir-duo

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you are able to, repaint the progresssive lens paint markings, least the centration point and near zone (find the half visible marks on the lens, put it on the proper centration chart in the lens catalogue). Even if you can't tell where the inset was calculated exactly, you can use the mirror test to check where the client looks thru the lens when "reading". My bet is, she looks a little above the reading area, the area where the reading area is still little more narrow + the diopter is slightly lower than what she gets in the proper reading area (which she may not be reaching with her habitual reading habits), hence she feels the ADD is too low, while it may be right, it's just too low for her. If you notice what I just mentioned a shorter corridor will most likely fix the problem (if the prescription is right).

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    What is her prescription?

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    What is her prescription?