Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Question regarding online sales

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    16 hours since I last looked at this thread. Cant believe you guys are still kicking this dead horse and accomplishing nothing but raising you blood pressure. So far this is the only accomplished.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    I beat my cat every day. He enjoys it.

I never said it was my sole perogative, you, once again, are putting power in my hands that does not exist. I am merely stating an observable fact, the basis of which I have posted above.

Regulatory power is decreasing. This is a proven FACT. The right side of the aisle wants more competition. So be it. They've opened the flood gates, and now you don't like it. Tough. Figure out a way to survive, or find another business to be in.
    Since I am a dog person, I don't care if you beat your cat.

I am not an optician, so I am not personally threatened by online opticals. I am not sure how big this business really is, because in reading customer reviews of http://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com on various websites it appears to be a one-man operation.

I was merely stating that I don't think states want to regulate online optical purchases, except for those regulations they already have in place for contacts (face to face fittings, etc). Most states have no regulations on reading glasses that require they be fitted by opticians, and those few states that do only regulate the maximum sphere power of the readers that can be purchased over-the-counter, and even then a patient can order online from a vendor in another state if they want to.

I suspect the reason states don't want to regulate this is that the worst that would likely happen by purchasing Rx glasses from an online optical is that a patient will get a poor fitting and it could end of being a waste of the patient's money, rather than doing any permanent damage to their eyes. Caveat emptor (buyer beware). But that is just a guess on my part. There are some regulations regarding contact fitting, I assume to prevent damage to a patient's eyes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    16 hours since I last looked at this thread. Cant believe you guys are still kicking this dead horse and accomplishing nothing but raising you blood pressure. So far this is the only accomplished.
    I checked my blood pressure, and it is fine.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    If a state wanted to prohibit online dispensing of Rx eyeglasses for opticians operating in their state (licensed or unlicensed) then they are free to do so and could enforce such laws. However, you are correct that a state cannot prohibit an online optician located out of their state from selling to patients in their state.
    O2a
    Well said, but what about a licenced opt/opto dispensing online Rx eyeglasses, operating in their state and selling to outside of their state. Legally he could not sell online to his home state citizens, but could he legally sell from his home state to online buyers, in another state, and not be in conflict with his regulatory body.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    O2a
    Well said, but what about a licenced opt/opto dispensing online Rx eyeglasses, operating in their state and selling to outside of their state. Legally he could not sell online to his home state citizens, but could he legally sell from his home state to online buyers, in another state, and not be in conflict with his regulatory body.
    I am not really sure about that. Just thinking of MD's, they are regulated by state agencies, and I suspect those regulations where the MD resided would still apply if the MD did diagnosis or prescribed medicine over the phone or internet to a patient in a another state. But not 100% sure.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why dosesn't someone ask the American Board of Opticanry to give us the Boards opinion on online sales by LICENCED ECP,S. With the key simple question of .....Is it illegal for a licensed ECP to sell Rx eyeglasses online.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would the ABO care? It's a certifying organization not a trade association. Better to ask the OAA, every State Society and the Summit.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    Why dosesn't someone ask the American Board of Opticanry to give us the Boards opinion on online sales by LICENCED ECP,S. With the key simple question of .....Is it illegal for a licensed ECP to sell Rx eyeglasses online.
    If the eye wear is compliant with both ANSI standards and FDA statutes...I ask why not?

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I answer, because some states have higher requirements than that.

Really, folks the way it works is this: monied interest bribes state legislators to tighten/loosen regulation in order to make more money for already monied interest.

Pay attention.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Then we have our own Quebec based on line optical ...................................

Would a well to do world wide Corporation as Essilor, be spending amounts of many millions of Dollars to purchase and operate businesses that are involved officially into illegal tactics and behaviour ?

I don't think so, there is too much planning and looking forward in that company to take unknown risks.

Then we have our own Quebec based on line optical ( http://www.bonlook.com/ ) that was apparently financed by the Quebec Government and operates in English only which is officially against the law and has a very high Alexa ranking of 252,627.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It seems dismal for CL supply. Too many scabs.

It's not going to be fun to see patients showing up with mystery lenses, and then asking us what's wrong with them.

More professional fees are going to be needed to offset patients' penny-wise-pound-foolishness.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Thank you drk for waking up ..........................................

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

More professional fees are going to be needed to offset patients' penny-wise-pound-foolishness.

Thank you drk for waking up ..........................................

I have been posting this for the last few years.

You can not make them go away,
    they are here to stay.
    However a professional fee they will pay,
    with a credit card or check, if they may.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hello Guys, any update on this? About the online sales ? Is there a ruling on this? Or license
    thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you still trying to figure out how to compete with online retailers and big box stores?
    Working out how to deal with price objections and how to stop your prescriptions from walking out the door?

What you don’t realize yet, is that you’ve already lost the game. Your just waiting out the clock.
    The thing that most optical professionals are still struggling with is that you can’t compete in a game for which the rules were written by your opponent, designed to put you at a disadvantage.
    That’s exactly what Warby Parker, Costco, Zenni, and others have done. They’ve changed the game and made up their own rules.
    Your desperation to “capture” patients on the way out the door, to create barriers or hindrances making it more difficult for your customers to purchase online, only makes it more obvious to them that you don’t belong in the game to begin with.

To read more:

https://www.laramyk.com/optical-busi...nline-optical/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our MD keeps thinking in terms of competing with online stores and having sales on par with chains like Lenscrafters, etc.. We're never going to be able to compete with those. We're an independent small optical shop inside and ophthalmology clinic in a rural area with mostly elderly patients and we only take one vision insurance. We exist as a convenience. We aren't losing money - we actually are profitable, not by much, but we are. We will never do $30K sales in a weekend like a mall optical will. We can't compete with online stores because they are selling the frames and lenses SO MUCH cheaper than we can (unless we want to start LOSING money). My doc is comparing apples to oranges. Although, I think I finally wormed my way into his head about printing more scripts. If only 4 patients from an 80 patient schedule walk out with scripts, there is not much I can do to lure more than that in to order glasses. Maybe we can get one of those wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube men.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    Our MD keeps thinking in terms of competing with online stores and having sales on par with chains like Lenscrafters, etc.. We're never going to be able to compete with those. We're an independent small optical shop inside and ophthalmology clinic in a rural area with mostly elderly patients and we only take one vision insurance. We exist as a convenience. We aren't losing money - we actually are profitable, not by much, but we are. We will never do $30K sales in a weekend like a mall optical will. We can't compete with online stores because they are selling the frames and lenses SO MUCH cheaper than we can (unless we want to start LOSING money). My doc is comparing apples to oranges. Although, I think I finally wormed my way into his head about printing more scripts. If only 4 patients from an 80 patient schedule walk out with scripts, there is not much I can do to lure more than that in to order glasses. Maybe we can get one of those wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube men.
    What do you mean "print more scripts"? The doctor is legally obligated to provide a copy of the prescription to every patient at the end of the exam whether they ask for it or not.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    What do you mean "print more scripts"? The doctor is legally obligated to provide a copy of the prescription to every patient at the end of the exam whether they ask for it or not.
    I would imagine an MD is probably even worse than a bad optometrist at selling from the chair. Maybe that is what she meant by printing more scripts, printing out their rx, walking them to the optical and handing them off to the optician with their recommendations for glasses. They need an entire class on this in Optometry school, it would help so much. Though I am glad my doc is very good at selling from the chair and I do take advantage of bad doctors who don't do as well in our area.

Thread Information